Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC versus Tom Tom LIVE?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC versus Tom Tom LIVE?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: RDS-TMC versus Tom Tom LIVE? Reply with quote

Hi guys, was looking for a little advice on this as i'm considering the following sat navs for my dad for christmas.

Tom Tom 540 GO LIVE
Tom Tom XL IQ LIVE
Navigon 4350

I've read a lot of good things about the tom tom live service but the fact that it's subscription based means i need to be sure it'll work before saddling my dad with payments so i had a few questions for anyone with prior experience.

1) Do both RDS-TMC and LIVE cover Northern Ireland and the Republic?
2) How good are both services at reporting traffic? (i've read some bad reports on RDS's accuraccy and update speed)
3) How accurate is the LIVE services fuel prices? i think this would be a feature my dad would love being totally anal about saving pennies on petrol...
4) If you don't use the LIVE service on the Tom Toms can you revert to RDS or is it not equipped (i've checked the website but can't find a clear answer)

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. HD Traffic is OK in NI, but no service in Eire (coverage map is on TT website HERE). Not sure about RDS-TMC Traffic.

2. In the UK HD Traffic is pretty good at the moment (it did have a big problem at rush hour periods for a period of several days, a week or two ago)
There are still issues with reception for the RDS service, but it's better then it was originally.

3. Fuel prices are pretty poor!
My 940 ALWAYS has "phantom" entries at the top, suggesting that I can unleaded at around 80-95p - I wish I could find them! Following that are usually a load that are still a few pence cheaper than you'd ever find in reality. So you have to ignore anything that looks stupid.

For example, there are options to search "cheapest in area", "cheapest nearby" and "cheapest on route".
Looking just now, "cheapest nearby" has one BP station within 2.3 miles at £0.98 and the rest at £1.07p or £1.08p so you have to assume the first is wrong.
But if you look at "cheapest in area", it reckons the cheapest is at a Tesco 9.8 miles away at £0.81, and the next SEVEN are all under £0.90 and a total of 15 are under £1.
So it's basically useless.
It also doesn't deal in the "point nine of a penny" we almost always have to pay, so when it says £1.07 you've no idea whether it has rounded down and means 106.9p or rounded up and means 107.9p

4. Yes you can on the XL IQ LIVE and on the x40 models, but I've heard reports that you CAN'T use the RDS-TMC receiver on the x50 models (not seen that confirmed for definite though)
Eagle15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience (as a professional driver driving all over the UK) is that both the RDS-TMS Traffic, and the GO LIVE Traffic are both rubbish.
I plugged the lead into my 720T for over a month, ignored its suggested re-routing, and never experienced the delays it was telling me I would get. I've just made the mistake of purchasing a 950 LIVE and ignored the suggested reroutes from the months LIVE free trial. Again, I never experienced a fraction of the delays it was telling me I would get.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
1. HD Traffic is OK in NI, but no service in Eire (coverage map is on TT website HERE). Not sure about RDS-TMC Traffic.
When I last investigated, about 6 months ago, I was told that neither worked in Eire.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)
loofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great, thanks very much for all the info guys, Andy, some very interesting stuff there. I knew that the GO series had an add-on for receiving rds-tmc signals but it gets terrible reviews. If the XL series has that built in i'd be sold as i don't want to commit my dad to anything financially that doesn't work.

I had a couple of more questions if you don't mind, firstly, from what i've read the IQ routing system takes regular rush hour traffic into account on all routes so i guess the live traffic feed is just for out of the ordinary traffic problems (when it actually works) does any IQ tomtom tend to avoid traditional traffic hotspots?

secondly, i've read about a tomtom problem of reporting 50mph speed limits on motorways here

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/08/25/tomtom-xl-live-iq-routes-edition-review/

is this a common problem?

Thanks.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loofer wrote:
I knew that the GO series had an add-on for receiving rds-tmc signals but it gets terrible reviews. If the XL series has that built in i'd be sold.

Any model with 'LIVE' in the name has the HD Traffic built in, but its a subscription service for ALL the Live services after the first trial period (~£7.99 a month)
No model has the RDS-TMC "built-in", although TT did bundle the external receiver in the box as an option on some models (those had a "T" after the model number such as 'Go720T').

I always believed that the latest version of the RDS-TMC receiver (the one with the USB plug) would work on ANY TomTom, even the models that usually have the LIVE services, but I heard recently that the x50 models can't - so I'm worried about saying the XL definitely will without being sure.

There's a third option which I always forget about - Traffic info over GPRS from a connected mobile phone. That will only work with the Go models (The One and XL models don't have a phone connection), and it's free to use apart from the data charges from your mobile provider.

loofer wrote:
from what i've read the IQ routing system takes regular rush hour traffic into account on all routes so i guess the live traffic feed is just for out of the ordinary traffic problems (when it actually works) does any IQ tomtom tend to avoid traditional traffic hotspots?

Yes, that's right. The IQ data will offer different routes at different times of the day in order to avoid known hot-spots.

loofer wrote:
secondly, i've read about a tomtom problem of reporting 50mph speed limits on motorways here

http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2009/08/25/tomtom-xl-live-iq-routes-edition-review/

is this a common problem?

Thanks.

Never had that happen personally, and don't remember seeing it on the forum here (where EVERY other problem gets discussed at length!)

Yes there will always be occasional incorrect speeds on a road, but you can correct them with MapShare, and you don't HAVE to be alerted to "going faster then allowed" anyway, if you don't want to be!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy, Traffic via GPRS and your mobile phone service is also a subscription service offered by TomTom its certainly NOT free - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake (probably not for the first time either!) I told you I always forget about that one! Embarassed
loofer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a million andy, really appreciate the advice Very Happy Not Worthy
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use HD traffic everyday for my delivery job and find it picks up most major delays. Not all, but there is no better alternative that I know of.

iPhone 12
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OP originally posed the question in a US based gps site I moderate. I pointed out that there probably wouldn't be many, if any responses and directed the poster to this site and assured him (her?) there would be very good responses.

Once again, you people have NOT let me down! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: