Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Correcting Map Errors
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Correcting Map Errors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Correcting Map Errors Reply with quote

Am I being stupid Confused Don't answer that....I have been out over the local roads in my town during the last couple of days just going over all the mini roundabouts and marking them as map errors where they dont exist on my devices. This is just for my own use and I will not be submitting them as map errors - there too much more important errors to take care of.
When I had finished doing the corrections at home, I was suprised to see that when I covered the route/s again, that the speech directions were correct i.e. in 200 yards, at the roundabout, take the 2nd exit etc.. but there was no change to the actual mapping. Am I expecting too much ? Is this normal ? Told you I was being stupid Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual map view won't be altered unless you submit the corrections to TomTom who will then have to process these changes for them to be included in any future map release - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The actual map view won't be altered unless you submit the corrections to TomTom who will then have to process these changes for them to be included in any future map release - Mike

Mmmm! yes, I suppose being realistic, I had come to that conclusion. If we look at it from the other direction, I suppose I was suprised that there were actual voice corrections, immediately.

Really, I suppose just posted the above to provoke a little thought on the process.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Correcting Map Errors Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have been out over the local roads in my town during the last couple of days just going over all the mini roundabouts and marking them as map errors where they dont exist on my devices.

AFAIK, Tele Atlas ignore ALL mini-roundabouts in their mapping.
There's obviously a grey area as to when a "mini" is concidered big enough to be considered as a "real" roundabout, but 99% of minis are ignored in my experience.

Gee-Pee wrote:
This is just for my own use and I will not be submitting them as map errors - there too much more important errors to take care of.

Don't forget, there is a finite limit to the number of map corrections you can make on your unit. Whether or not you upload them to TT makes no difference. You could find yourself getting the "no more space for corrections" message when you need to make a more important change.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't forget, there is a finite limit to the number of map corrections you can make on your unit. Whether or not you upload them to TT makes no difference. You could find yourself getting the "no more space for corrections" message when you need to make a more important change

Noted, Andy. I assume this has nothing to do with the actual available space in the Memory or Memory card.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, nothing to do with available space.

Last time I asked, there was a limit of 750 personal map corrections for any map stored on your device, AFAIK this is still the current design limit.

If you make 751th correction, your very first one will be gone, if you then make 752nd then 2nd will be gone and so on..
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, useful to know. I don't think I am anywhere near that at the moment, but numbers tot up, quickly.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Well that's annoying as my council loves the little fellas. Leave any junction alone for more than 5 minutes and they bung a mini roundabout (or one of those stupid double mini roundabouts) down....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

Well that's annoying as my council loves the little fellas. Leave any junction alone for more than 5 minutes and they bung a mini roundabout (or one of those stupid double mini roundabouts) down....

Which is probably why TA gave up on them! Laughing
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

Well that's annoying as my council loves the little fellas.

My council can beat that, easy peasy. They install a mini roundabout to replace a T junction, then add a Pelican crossing 10 yards away on one approach/exit road with zigzag lines ending at the roundabout, a Zebra crossing one car length away on another approach/exit road with zigzag lines ending at the roundabout, and a bus stop bay starting at the roundabout on the third exit road. Then they widened the footpath opposite the bus stop so that you can't overtake a parked bus - it's the bus stop where buses layover between driver shifts! Now that takes a special class of highway designer! 51.414026269202374,-2.497871518135071.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: