Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 940 v 950
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

940 v 950

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyhayes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: 940 v 950 Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a classic Go, a Rider and a Go 700, so I am pretty committed to the TomTom brand.
Mainly because I have 3 cars and am too lazy to keep moving the units between cars, I want another TomTom.
I am looking at the Go 940 as Amazon have it at £240. I know Halfords are selling display models off for £200, but £40 seemed a good investment for a unit that hasn't been switched on constantly for the last 12 months and needs liaison with TomTom to get the 3 month Live trial to work.
Anyway, before I order the 940 from Amazon, I just wondered if anyone can tell me if the 950 has any advantage over the 940 as I can't see any, in fact if anything, it seems worse and it only has 1 month Live trial.
I don't need the US maps, but am I right in saying that the 940 has FM transmitter, can take TMC if I don't want to pay for Live and also has the MP3 player. I don't think the 740 or 950 have all these features. Any confirmation will be gratefully received, or likewise if anyone can point to an article confirming the differences between the models.
Thanks,
Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 940 v 950 Reply with quote

Firstly welcome to the forum, its only taken nearly three years for your first post! But you will get quick answers to your questions on here.

andyhayes wrote:
I don't need the US maps, but am I right in saying that the 940 has FM transmitter, can take TMC if I don't want to pay for Live and also has the MP3 player. I don't think the 740 or 950 have all these features.

You are correct in what you have said, the 940 has the mp3 player and FM Tx and it does work with the RDS-TMC receiver, Mini USB style receiver is the best one to go for as it connects straight to as supplied mount, if you have an RDS-TMC receiver with a round plug then you will need to purchase one of the accessory docks. If you don't have an RDS-TMC then also consider the car dock with integral receiver as this offers a much neater solution.

The 950 doesn't have the FM Tx or mp3 player but it is supplied with Navcore 9, this isn't really much different and I would expect to see Navcore 9 ported through to the x40 range in the next few months, in fact Navcore 9 runs quite happily on the 940 if you are prepared to mess around with software installs intended for other devices - Mike
andyhayes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, 3 years for my first post Embarassed Bit poor that was really, I have been reading quite a lot over that time though, but just never felt sufficiently well informed to join the debates. You have confirmed for me that the 940 is the one to go for, and when I get that, I will maybe get back into my satnavs a bit. You should be on the TomTom payroll offering this kind of valuable advice. Thanks

Is the car dock you mention a genuine TT supply or third party?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are currently 4 different mounts for the x40/ x50 range all made by TomTom:
1 as supplied with only mini USB connector
2 windscreen mount with Mini USB, audio line out (3,5MM) and iPOD/ RDS socket
3 windscreen mount with Mini USB, audio line out (3,5MM) and iPOD/ RDS socket and built in RDS TMC receiver
4 Brodit Pro-Clip style mount with Mini USB, audio line out (3,5MM) and iPOD/ RDS socket

If you try a search on the forum using V70 for the search topic and my user name you will find a thread that details fitting the Brodit style x40 mount to my Volvo, finding a direct link to add to this thread is too difficult as I am posting from my phone - Mike
andyhayes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike.

Have ordered 940 from Amazon and you have given me more than enough info. already, especially from your phone. I'll do a bit of digging in your previous posts.

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: