Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - annoying xl iq voice problem HELP PLEASE!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

annoying xl iq voice problem HELP PLEASE!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rover220 wrote:
is there any known fix for this as yet?

TT have today come up with a fix for me and it worked across two devices, each having, Kathy (UK Irish) voice installed. Basically it involves purging the voice from the device and then reinstalling it via HOME. This is the 'fix' that I was offered and it has worked OK.
Connect your device to your PC
Create a backup of your existing version of Kathy on your device –( located in the Voice folder)..
I think Kathy should be under the 2 files data162.chk and data162.vif.

( On mine Kathy was data119 and Kathy 1 was data 71 ), but you can check all the vif files to ascertain which one is the ‘Kathy’ file. (Or if you are having problems with another voice, then identify the two files .chk and .vif related to that voice)

When the files have been identified, then rename both of these files to data162.old1 and data162.old2

Open TomTom HOME, and go to Manage my Device, and remove Kathy( or other voice) from your device.
Do not choose to copy to your computer, when prompted
Check in C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Download\complete\voice that there is no Kathy folder present
Go to Add traffic, Voices, Safety Cameras etc / Voices / Recorded Voices and search for Kathy
Select and add the voice to your device
This should be created as data119.chk and data119.vif in your ‘voices’ directory on your device.

check to see that the issue is resolved

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:

When the files have been identified, then rename both of these files to data162.old1 and data162.old2

Assuming they meant you to rename the ones on the device rather than in the backup you just made, I wonder why? (as they tell you to delete them via Home in the next instruction)
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:

Assuming they meant you to rename the ones on the device rather than in the backup you just made, I wonder why? (as they tell you to delete them via Home in the next instruction)

Good point. I actually renamed them in the BackUp Embarassed as I assumed they would remain on the computer and then having them deleted via Home in the next instruction, there would be no confusion with re-installing the same voice. I agree it was somewhat confusing. I have only copied and pasted the text of what TT told me.
Actually, I cannot see any point in backing up any voice.
Graham
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be right... I've noticed Home does have a habit of looking EVERYWHERE on your PC for files it might be interested in, rather then just in it's own download and backup folders.

So maybe they DID mean you to rename the ones you backed up! Embarassed Laughing
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, my method worked, so I am satisfied and it seems that the problem was identified. Probably it got corrupted in the last software install. Who knows. There were some 'recovered' file fragments in the Voice folder.........
Did you get yours sorted, as I seem to remember you had a similar problem on one of your devices.
Graham
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Probably it got corrupted in the last software install. Who knows. There were some 'recovered' file fragments in the Voice folder.........

Be careful there.....
Windows itself uses the .chk file extension to refer to those fragments (often left over after a crash), but the TT doesn't know or care about Windows. To the TT the .chk extension is for an actual voice file!

Gee-Pee wrote:
Did you get yours sorted, as I seem to remember you had a similar problem on one of your devices.
Graham

I had the v7 Kathy (with the fault), on my 940 but I still had the v1 Kathy on my 720, so I just copied that one over.
Maybe I'll get round to trying a new v7 download (following the method they suggested to you) later tonight.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: