Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Settings-Screen Data Options-Show Road Names?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Settings-Screen Data Options-Show Road Names?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about WITH a map card in, PloddinPedro - that's where I would have expected the road names (in my innocence). Without my Hertfordshire card in, I don't get names either.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
What about WITH a map card in, PloddinPedro - that's where I would have expected the road names (in my innocence). Without my Hertfordshire card in, I don't get names either.

I generally use a map card with both 50k and 25k scales. If I zoom right in I don't get the vector street mapping. I have to remove the card to see that

The street names do appear on the 25k OS map at the same level of zoom about 7-8000:1, but are harder to pick out from the urban detail on the OS map.

I wish I could post a screen shot. The names only appear once on each road, so it is easy to see a portion of a long road without a name.

[/img]
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
I can't answer that at present because my card has gone back to Satmap for "toggling" so I have only the "empty" A10. In my memory, I still didn't get road/street names on the base vector map - I clearly recall one instance where water got into the unit and it stopped reading the mapcard; I still had the basic vector map showing the roads, if I zoomed in enough and I was able to follow my pre-loaded track on that, but there were definitely no street names. But without the thing in front of me, I can't re-test this.

It also seems illogical to me to have the base map in the internal memory and the street names on the mapcard, as you imply, but what do I know!
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the manual, you may well be right about where the street names are - so now I'M confused! Embarassed
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The large scale and street level vector mapping, the road names and elevation data are all loaded as part of the firmware loaded into rom on the A10 itself. The A10 plus does not have the street level mapping or (I think) road names to make room for the world mapping and post code.

I don't think the update download generally includes these as they come with the platform software.

It should work without an SD card.

As I posted above pressing the default button in the settings screen should restore lost names. For me the clear settings option is enough. Other posters report that you have to reset all. I had already done a full reset on update, and found that another was not necessary here.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have spoken to Satmap techie this a.m. It seems I am a dunce. Embarassed As posted above, the "Show Road Names" option does indeed (if all is working as designed) display street and road names on the base vector road map usually loaded in the A10 itself i.e it isn't dependent upon having a mapcard inserted. The very earliest units didn't have this, the base vector map was on the mapcards, but the vast majority of units had it installed in the hardware.

I'd made the assumption that the "Show Road Names" option merely put up the road number labels when using my 1:50,000 mapcard; after all, that's what happened; I never usually had occasion to drill down to the base vector map. Since enabling the option also threw up irritating and pointless waypoint number labels, which got in the way of reading the map, I turned off "Show Road Names". When my unit stopped reading the mapcard and I drilled down to the base vector map it never occurred to me to swith the option on again!

Ho hum, you live and learn!

It seems there is indeed a patch on the way to be available in due course as a download, to fix the problem that some people are experiencing with losing the street and road names after installing v1.4
Cullin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This text is in the pdf document.

Note: v1.4 has the World Base Map instead of the road names option which was previously

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: