Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Settings-Screen Data Options-Show Road Names?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Settings-Screen Data Options-Show Road Names?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
4ndynorfolk wrote:
planetnine wrote:
doesn't bring up any street names on mine Crying or Very sad

Have you reset using the default button in the settings menu (not the screen data options menu)?

well I didn't want to reset my unit, even if it does just clear the settings pages. What does it reset? what does it not reset?

From memory, I changed quite a lot from the settings pages. Why would it be necessary to reset to settings defaults? Is this a work-around for another v1.4 bug?

This is just a work around. It seems that if you go into the screen data settings screen and select 'done' or 'default' the road names disappear.

Selecting default from the settings screen and then selecting yes, then clear settings, brings them back. It also causes the main menu to show a map title, even if it is only the first alphabetically in my case Dorset despite being located in Norfolk.

It will only reset your non-default settings options. Beware - clear all will wipe any route or pois in the internal memory.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sod, this is awkward. Still, I didn't expect a major version update to be bug-free I suppose. Wonder how long their bug release turnaround will be?

I'm going to sit and write all my settings info down Rolling Eyes

Thanks for your help Andy, much appreciated...
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have reported this to Satmap, and talked them through the circumstances in which the road names disappear.

They can't get their units to exhibit this phenomena, though for me it is 100% repeatable. They seemed to think it might be down to an older version of the motherboard. My serial number is 5795. 18 months old.

They have already identified an early batch which won't accept the new platform software and now it seems there maybe a later batch on which the latest firmware version doesn't quite work correctly.

If you are experencing this problem, or the freezing in the set trip data option, please post the serial number (or an approximation if you are worried) and the approximate age of the unit. It might help find a solution to the issue - even if it is a motherboard upgrade.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
....If you are experencing this problem, or the freezing in the set trip data option, please post the serial number (or an approximation if you are worried) and the approximate age of the unit. It might help find a solution to the issue - even if it is a motherboard upgrade.

Mine won't prove much as it's earlier - 5343, age about 18 months. I get the same freezing problem and road issue.
planetnine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Andy, my unit was bought in May this year and has a 5-digit serial number after the 07, (22###) I have had one complete freeze while loading or resetting routes, which was only reset by removing the battery.

I upgraded to 1.4 by download first, and then did the whole job with the platform upgrade SD card.

Any help?
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

planetnine wrote:
Hello Andy, my unit was bought in May this year and has a 5-digit serial number after the 07, (22###) I have had one complete freeze while loading or resetting routes, which was only reset by removing the battery.

I upgraded to 1.4 by download first, and then did the whole job with the platform upgrade SD card.

Any help?

Thanks Planetnine (and jonesbach). Looks like that blows the hardware version theory out of the water. I will have to talk to Satmap again, and see what the come up with this time.

My experience is that they always seem very sceptical and reluctant to admit that the software may be flawed..
GPSwalker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:
planetnine wrote:

Any help?

Thanks Planetnine (and jonesbach). Looks like that blows the hardware version theory out of the water. I will have to talk to Satmap again, and see what the come up with this time.

My experience is that they always seem very sceptical and reluctant to admit that the software may be flawed..

Just to add that my unit was bought 14 months ago (85##), was upgraded with the download and has the same issues. So it looks pretty widespread across the units to me. Is there anyone with v1.4 who has NOT experienced the bug? And if so, what unit no./platform etc are you using?

The work-round would not be satisfactory long term and Satmap need to be contacted individually by those with this issue in the hope they will take some action.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused - a common state! I've upgraded my unit (number 5088, received June 2008) by the v1.4 download - I haven't got the 3 functions SD card. Now, when I go to Settings-Screen Data options, the third field "Show All Road Names" that used to appear under "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show Titles on Maps" is no longer present - presumably this is what this thread is all about?

Oddly, the screenshot in the previous User Guide shows a picture with only the fields for "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show All Road Names" but the text under para 5.15 makes no mention of "Show All Road Names", only "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show Titles On Maps". (It also erroneously states you can set the unit to autoclear track [i.e. trail, presumably] data - this option actually resides elsewhere.)

Has it in fact always been the case that "Show Titles On Maps" and "Show All Road Names" are really the same thing? My screens never displayed road or street names whatever Settings were chosen - all I ever got were labels showing road numbers e.g."A134" overlaid above the underlying OS map - I never got any actual names.

In fact, I've only just noticed the paragraph in italics in the old User Guide which states: "With road names ON, panning around built up areas wil be slower due to the large amounts of extra data being handled" (this text has now been deleted from the v1.4 User Guide) - as stated above, apart from road number labels I never got any "road names" (i.e. street names) Did anyone else? Or does this all simply refer to road numbers?
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I'm confused - a common state! I've upgraded my unit (number 5088, received June 2008) by the v1.4 download - I haven't got the 3 functions SD card. Now, when I go to Settings-Screen Data options, the third field "Show All Road Names" that used to appear under "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show Titles on Maps" is no longer present - presumably this is what this thread is all about?

Oddly, the screenshot in the previous User Guide shows a picture with only the fields for "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show All Road Names" but the text under para 5.15 makes no mention of "Show All Road Names", only "Auto Show POI Information" and "Show Titles On Maps". (It also erroneously states you can set the unit to autoclear track [i.e. trail, presumably] data - this option actually resides elsewhere.)

Has it in fact always been the case that "Show Titles On Maps" and "Show All Road Names" are really the same thing? My screens never displayed road or street names whatever Settings were chosen - all I ever got were labels showing road numbers e.g."A134" overlaid above the underlying OS map - I never got any actual names.

In fact, I've only just noticed the paragraph in italics in the old User Guide which states: "With road names ON, panning around built up areas wil be slower due to the large amounts of extra data being handled" (this text has now been deleted from the v1.4 User Guide) - as stated above, apart from road number labels I never got any "road names" (i.e. street names) Did anyone else? Or does this all simply refer to road numbers?

The road names are best seen by removing the sd card and zooming in. They are also present in 1:25k scale maps but sometimes not easy to spot
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:

...My screens never displayed road or street names whatever Settings were chosen - all I ever got were labels showing road numbers e.g."A134" overlaid above the underlying OS map - I never got any actual names.

Further to 4ndynorfolk's reply above. If you did not have the World Mapping option you should have been able to display street names. I believe they were removed on machines when the World Mapping was chosen to make memory space available.

If you do not have World Mapping have you tried "4ndynorfolk's" entry above( Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:51 pm). N.B. IT MUST BE A FULL RESET.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an email today from Satmap about this bug and the trip data screen freeze. Looks like they've abandoned the hardware versions theory.

Quote:
We’re aware of the problems and we’re about to test another version of the 1.4 which should hopefully have fixed the bugs you’ve mentioned below. I will keep you posted as to when that will be available.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="4ndynorfolk"]
PloddinPedro wrote:
The road names are best seen by removing the sd card and zooming in. They are also present in 1:25k scale maps but sometimes not easy to spot
Nope, I'm still foxed. With no card in it, all I got was the 1:1,000,000 and 1:250,000 "Road map" as per OS versions, neither of which have road/street NAMES (as opposed to road NUMBERS e.g. A10 etc.) If I zoomed right in and through the 1:250,000 level, right down to say 1:9,000 there were no street names - "Bloggstown Road" or such as you might get on an A-Z street atlas, just a simple vector map showing bare roads.

The only extra Satmap labelling I got was the road NUMBERS over the more major roads and only down to "A" roads, never any "B" roads

Are we sure we're talking about the same thing?

Re. jonesbach's comment about the World Map, as I understood it from Satmap, when the World Map is installed it's so space hungry that the in-built "base" vector map has to be removed. If the "street names" were on that (and they weren't on mine) then they would have disappeared.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - as I understand it, the street names ARE on the vector map. So you won't get them if you've had the world base map loaded.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
Yes - as I understand it, the street names ARE on the vector map. So you won't get them if you've had the world base map loaded.
Looks like another telecon with Satmap is required - if I zoom in through the 1:250,000 Road Map (with no mapcards installed) and get onto the plain vector map beneath there are definitely no road or street names!
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like another telecon with Satmap is required - if I zoom in through the 1:250,000 Road Map (with no mapcards installed) and get onto the plain vector map beneath there are definitely no road or street names!

Sound like the best idea. I strongly suspect that they will send you the platform update SD card - the same one they sell for a tenner. It should restore everything back in ten minutes.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: