Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - go 730t or go 940 ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

go 730t or go 940 ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:27 am    Post subject: go 730t or go 940 ? Reply with quote

Hi guys, in a bit of a dilemma, im going to be getting a sat nav and I cannot make my mind up between a 730t or 940 what are the differences between the 2 units ? Basically I am after an mp3 player and the road traffic info, im not too concerned about live services. I think the 730t has the traffic antenna built into the unit??? Does the 940 have the traffic antenna built in or would I need to buy the antenna ? I was also wondering if I could download navcore 9 onto either of these units, as I am a hgv driver and the 'change vehicle profile' would be ideal as I would be then able to use it in my artic. There’s only about 25 quid difference in price, between the 2 units. must apoligise for firing off all these questions, never owned a sat nav before, just dont want to buy the wrong unit !
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is really bizarre!
I'm SURE I've already posted an answer to this exact question before (in the last day or so). Have you posted it before or on another forum?

I particularly remember the bit about "I think the 730t has the traffic antenna built into the unit??? " where I replied that no it doesn't, but the "T" models had the external RDS-TMC receiver bundled with the sat-nav in the same box.

I can try to re-type everything else I said, but it would be a lot easier to just link back to where I said it all before!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would take a trip around some of your local (ish) Halfords as they are clearing end of line stock for the 940 with them retailing at £199:99 which is a real bargain.

The Navcore 9 doesn't have change vehicle profile by default, the only way to get it is to load the Navcore intended for the 750 Blue Me Fiat device to a 940 as shown on the You Tube video clip, its not difficult but don't expect any device straight out of the box to offer the HGV profile and alow you to set up vehicle dimensions etc.

When you have got your 940 come back and ask a few more questions on the software and we can point you in the right direction etc - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
This is really bizarre!
I'm SURE I've already posted an answer to this exact question before (in the last day or so). Have you posted it before or on another forum?

I particularly remember the bit about "I think the 730t has the traffic antenna built into the unit??? " where I replied that no it doesn't, but the "T" models had the external RDS-TMC receiver bundled with the sat-nav in the same box.

I can try to re-type everything else I said, but it would be a lot easier to just link back to where I said it all before!

Quote:
3rd December Andy I doubt it says that....
The RDS-TMC is available seperately or can sometimes be bought bundled in the same box as the TomTom itself. In the case of the Go530 that would be called a Go530T.
But the RDS-TMC reveiver is never actually "built-in".

blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
This is really bizarre!

this is my first post, so somebody else has the same query as me ! so if i buy the 730t, will i need a seprate antenna aerial ? also does the 940 have a mp3 player ?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a GO730T (T for traffic) which I bought in January this year. In the box is the windscreen holder, a car charger, a Dock for connecting to the computer, an RDS-Traffic receiver (aerial) and the software for installing HOME - your method of updating and connection to the internet etc.
So you don't need to buy the aerial for the traffic service. If you don't want the service then you have no need to connect the 'aerial' as the device has a built in aerial for the GPS connection.
Lety me know if you need any further info about this particular model
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
I have a GO730T (T for traffic) which I bought in January this year. In the box is the windscreen holder, a car charger, a Dock for connecting to the computer, an RDS-Traffic receiver (aerial) and the software for installing HOME - your method of updating and connection to the internet etc.
So you don't need to buy the aerial for the traffic service. If you don't want the service then you have no need to connect the 'aerial' as the device has a built in aerial for the GPS connection.
Lety me know if you need any further info about this particular model

i am a little bit confused, so correct me if i am wrong, i was under the impression that the antenna for the traffic info was built in so there wasnt any need for a seprate antenna to be pluged in, so what you are saying is i would need the seprate antenna to be plugged in for the traffic info, so therfore i would be able to see the wires ?
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i was under the impression that the antenna for the traffic info was built in so there wasnt any need for a seprate antenna to be pluged in, so what you are saying is i would need the separate antenna to be plugged in for the traffic info, so therfore i would be able to see the wires ?Yes

Yes, that's right, an antenna for 'Traffic' would have to be plugged in.
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Quote:
i was under the impression that the antenna for the traffic info was built in so there wasnt any need for a seprate antenna to be pluged in, so what you are saying is i would need the separate antenna to be plugged in for the traffic info, so therfore i would be able to see the wires ?Yes

Yes, that's right, an antenna for 'Traffic' would have to be plugged in.

so what is actually 'built in ' ? my dilemma now is, do i buy the 940 instead, because i will still need a antenna lead for traffic on both units anyway ! is the 940 a better unit than the 730t, what extra bits do you get with the 940 ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 940 contains a GPRS modem and SIM card which is used to communicate with the servers at TomTom, one of the Live services it offers is HD Traffic which is far better than the RDS-TMC based service. This system requires no extra aerials or wires as its all built in to the 940 BUT there is a monthly charge (subscription) to use this service on top of the cost to purchase the device - Mike
thetrotter
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus: rds-tmc IS "built-in" to the 730T software. You just need to plug in the aerial to receive the real time updates.
PGPSWorld Speed Camera Database (naturally)
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The 940 contains a GPRS modem and SIM card which is used to communicate with the servers at TomTom, one of the Live services it offers is HD Traffic which is far better than the RDS-TMC based service. This system requires no extra aerials or wires as its all built in to the 940 BUT there is a monthly charge (subscription) to use this service on top of the cost to purchase the device - Mike

if i did not want to use the live services on the 940, could i still use the antenna and still get traffic info ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, but you would need to buy it as an accessory, as there is no "T" version of the 940 with the aerial bundled in the box.
You can see it on the TomTom website if you look HERE

You could also use the dedicated RDS-TMC version of the windscreen mount, which is also on the same page, under "mounts"

More info on the TT website. With both of these you get the RDS-TMC version of the service which is usually considered to not be as good as the HD-Traffic service from the LIVE subscription.

--------------------------------------------------
By the way... GeePee - thanks for finding that post of mine. I thought I was going mad as I couldn't come up with ANY "search" terms that would find it, and even looking back at my previous posts list didn't have it either! Stop it!
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Yes, but you would need to buy it as an accessory, as there is no "T" version of the 940 with the aerial bundled in the box.
You can see it on the TomTom website if you look HERE

You could also use the dedicated RDS-TMC version of the windscreen mount, which is also on the same page, under "mounts"

More info on the TT website. With both of these you get the RDS-TMC version of the service which is usually considered to not be as good as the HD-Traffic service from the LIVE subscription.

really dont know which one to get now ! need your help on this one guys, basically is there a lot of differance between the 730traffic and the 940 live, not too concearned about live services, but i also dont want a lot of wires showing, apart from the traffic services are the menus, maps, rerouting, mp3 players, etc etc, the same on both units ? which is the better unit ? ive also read that the windscreen mount is also better on the 940, help please !

--------------------------------------------------
By the way... GeePee - thanks for finding that post of mine. I thought I was going mad as I couldn't come up with ANY "search" terms that would find it, and even looking back at my previous posts list didn't have it either! Stop it!
blackstars
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really dont know which one to get now ! need your help on this one guys, basically is there a lot of differance between the 730traffic and the 940 live, not too concearned about live services, but i also dont want a lot of wires showing, apart from the traffic services are the menus, maps, rerouting, mp3 players, etc etc, the same on both units ? which is the better unit ? ive also read that the windscreen mount is also better on the 940, help please !

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: