Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have iPhone will travel… iPhone Navigation Apps compared.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have iPhone will travel… iPhone Navigation Apps compared.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eonisbkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bitten the bullet and bought the app for co pilot ver 8 brilliant used it to go to work on thursday then on friday had to go to dagenham then up to dereham in norfolk then over to my cousins near norwich then came home today didn't miss a beat best £26 i have spent the new upgrade on it seems to have sorted it out and it also had camera alerts anything to do with you lot here because if so well done my iphone is on orange so not jailbroken any ? feel free to ask and i will see if i can answer them

eon
eonisbkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

? i tried to put an address in but couldn't get the number of the house i was visiting to go in any suggestions as it works when i use my contacts

eon
klownshed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: CoPilot Reply with quote

Excellent review. I was looking for a review like this when I was first looking for a nav app for my iPhone, but couldn't find anything as comprehensive as this.

However, I was surprised to see CoPilot at number 2. I bought CoPilot a while back and really can't understand why it's so popular. I find it very frustrating, from the frankly horrible and sprawling UI to the poor routes and unreliability. It's crashed on me quite often (or slept, despite being powered by the cigarette lighter adaptor) and often doesn't keep up and issues instructions late. I think the last point might be due to me having an iPhone 3G and not a 3GS, but it's frustrated me once too often so I've deleted it and bought another app.

Perhaps I'm fussier about klunky UIs!

I was going to get Navigon, but the price went up to £52.99 and then they started charging extra via an in-app purchase for the most basic of all sat nav features: 7 digit post code entry. And it still can't navigate to house numbers. It's interesting to see how well it did in your test though.

Whilst procrastinating (waiting to see if Navigon or TomTom would cut prices!) I noticed Navmii at £19.99 and thought I'd give it a shot. Surprisingly, it's really, really good. The interface is a much better than CoPilot's, it's not crashed on me once and the routes are much better. It's lacking some features compared to the others, but nothing I can't currently live without.

Had I seen this review first I may have held out for Navigon though and it's just been cut in price too. However, I'm really happy with navmii so far, it works a treat and the voice directions are excellent (again much better than copilot).

It's a shame they don't have a US version out yet as it would have been good to see how it compared in your test.
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Going slightly off topic, The first time I connected my 3GS to my car stereo (via a lead as you did on the video), I noticed a lot of interference when in ipod mode, to the point where I had to turn it off. Did you have any special cable to dampen this.

My car is an 07 Mondeo ST, so hardly an old car. If this is the same when using sat-nav, I'll have to think twice about splashing out on that cheap Navigon deal.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisb wrote:
Mike,

Going slightly off topic, The first time I connected my 3GS to my car stereo (via a lead as you did on the video), I noticed a lot of interference when in ipod mode, to the point where I had to turn it off. Did you have any special cable to dampen this.

My car is an 07 Mondeo ST, so hardly an old car. If this is the same when using sat-nav, I'll have to think twice about splashing out on that cheap Navigon deal.

No special cable. But I have experienced this on a number of occasions with the same setup on different cars. The worst was a similar experience to yours in a Ford Escape hybrid the interference was so bad I couldnt use the cable interface.
eonisbkuk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisb wrote:
Mike,

would that be because its a dagenham dustbin perhaps the old metal is getting in the way Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are experiancing noise/ interferance when wired to the car deck consider fitting a ground loop isolator between the iPhone and the input socket on the car - Mike
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
If you are experiancing noise/ interferance when wired to the car deck consider fitting a ground loop isolator between the iPhone and the input socket on the car - Mike

I'll try that Mike.

I have noticed a difference, depending on whether I have a 3G signal or not. I'm working in Cambridge at the moment, with a full strength 3G signal, and the interference dies down after 30 seconds or so.

Where I live, I only have a 2.5G signal, and the interference (I'm assuming due to the phone trying to get a better signal all the time) is terrible.
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

travisb wrote:
mikealder wrote:

I'll try that Mike.

I have noticed a difference, depending on whether I have a 3G signal or not. I'm working in Cambridge at the moment, with a full strength 3G signal, and the interference dies down after 30 seconds or so.

Where I live, I only have a 2.5G signal, and the interference (I'm assuming due to the phone trying to get a better signal all the time) is terrible.

If you know that you are not going to get a 3G signal where you are you could go into the Settings->General->Network and disable 3G. It will improve your battery life as well.

Only problem is remembering to reset it when you go to a 3G coverage area.
travisb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is patchy 3G where I live, just not at my house, but I'm bound to forget if I turn it off Very Happy

I must admit that I haven't found the battery life much of an issue. Considering what you can do with it, I'm impressed. even a 45 minute Skype call didn't drain the battery as much as I thought. I always have something capable of charging it on me (a bonus of owning various iPods since the 3rd gen version).

Have ordered a ground loop isolator (£6.50 off fleabay) so we'll see how that goes.

And I won't rise to the Dagenham Dustbin jibe Rolling Eyes Laughing
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Backgrounder for iphone Reply with quote

I use backgrounder to run chosen apps simultaneously, gives me a better experience and eats the battery.
mavrik64
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="travisb]Have ordered a ground loop isolator (£6.50 off fleabay) so we'll see how that goes.[/quote]

How did you (or anyone else) get on with the ground loop isolator?
Did this work?

cheers

Mav
stevenmfaber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Speed cameras, pois and custom voices Reply with quote

Loved the review, but the lack of support for pois including speed/safety cameras is a huge drawback. And I love my Norfolk Farmer voice for Tomtom - have I got to go back to dreary pre-packaged voices when I move to an iPhone this week? Any developments in support that anyone can tell me about?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way to add custom POI files to the iPhone is if you Jail Break the device, not everyone wants to do this!

Sygic offers the best support for third party custom POI and speed camera warnings, and it is possible to run custom voices on TomTom with a little messing around - Mike
Lplatebuggier
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
This year we are off to Orlando again. I am going to use my iphone and Navigon. I will have my Garmin with me just in case but hope to use just the iphone only. I have Navigon USA already installed.
My question is regarding connection to the car stereo. In my car here I have a dedicated ipod Alpine unit so my iphone just plugs in.
I need to buy a car charger and suitable connection to the head unit for my holiday and future holidays.
With the hire cars do the head units generally have a aux socket on them or would I be better off buying a FM transmitter type to get the sound through the car speakers?
Any feedback greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Rich

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: