Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - iPAQ 3970 ROM'd - Can't see SD Card
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

iPAQ 3970 ROM'd - Can't see SD Card

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: iPAQ 3970 ROM'd - Can't see SD Card Reply with quote

iPAQ 3970 was running v2.00 ROM with 256MB SanDisk SD Card (TTNAV2 Maps) and working fine.

Decided to upgrade to ROM 2.10 with the SD Card Fix. Both upgrades went ok, made sure to ignore error on SD update and let it time out.
When it reset a couple of errors on AFLASH and CFLASH so removed the shortcuts and a few other which I thought were redundant.

Anyway, now I can't see the SD card at all, re-inserted and soft reset number of times and no difference. Re-installed SD fix and no change.

Any ideas much appreciated or looks like I'll be going back to 2.00 ROM and if that doesn't work a hard reset.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually done a hard reset after you applied 2.10 ? That is essential... If not, you may want to reapply 2.10, do the hard reset, apply the SD fix, do a soft reset.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise a hard reset was required Embarassed

I followed the instructions which as far as I remember did prompt to do a hard reset - holding two outside buttons and hitting the reset at the same time. However all my program data survived intact which means I probably didn't do it properly, I'll try again.

The ROM doc mentions that I shouldn't try to restore a program backup that was used under the previous ROM revision. Is this a definate no-no in which I case I'll need to reconfigure all the software from scratch Sad

Cheers,

Iain
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, it's a more or less definite no-no. Take this from the bright side - it's a good opportunity to get rid of all the crap that you don't need any more.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plenty of crap on mine so a good clearout is about due.

Cheers Wink
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reapplied ROM 2.10 and then the SD fix and now hunky dory. Pretty sure it was the hard reset first time round, don't think I held the reset button in long enough.

Cheers Wink
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't do the hard reset properly the first time - you must hold the buttons until the screen fades out. That's the only way you can get the aflashman / cflashman errors and find the SD card slot doesn't work.

As you were getting those symptoms, you didn't need to reapply the ROM upgrade, as that had already installed correctly. All that was needed was a hard reset and to reinstall everything (a restore is a definite no-no - that's why you're being told to hard reset in the first place).

Glad you got it working, anyway - ROM 2.10 is an improvement. I moved to ROM 4.00.08 by buying the Pocket PC 2003 upgrade, though that's relatively expensive and doesn't offer that many benefits. It looks as if HP may not produce a Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition ROM for the 3970; there's been very little support for Pocket PC 2003 on the 3970. For example, the 3970 hasn't had the Bluetooth updates that iPAQs currently being sold have.

I fear ROM 4.00.08 is the end of the line for the trusty 3970, especially if the Pocket PC 2003 upgrades did not sell well - though I'd love it if HP made one last ROM that was Pocket PC 2003 Second Edition based and had the latest Widcomm Bluetooth code (ideally as a free upgrade for those that bought the existing Pocket PC 2003 upgrade).

David
chipfork
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never done a hard reset before and as you say I didn't let the screen fade before releasing the buttons, I didn't realise I'd be doing a hard reset until I re-read the readme Embarassed Shall make sure to read the documentation in future.

It is a shame that software development seems to be leaving the 3970 behind. I guess there is some desire to push people onto the ever increasing range of newer iPAQs. Confused

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: