Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Satmap Pricing
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Satmap Pricing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Satmap Pricing Reply with quote

I am starting to come to the conclusion that owning a Satmap ( excellent piece of kit that it is ),is becoming quite expensive.

Round about £300 or above for the unit.
£40 ish for a lithium battery and connectors.
£30 for a bike mount.
£9.99 to update the platform software.
Mapping - name your price.
Zagg Screen protectors
New silicone case at £40 or so
Repacement outer screens at £20.
Windscreen mount £20

I haven't got all of the above and all are not necessary but just an example of prices.

I think Satmap are in danger of overpricing customers away.For instance,the platform update could have been sent to registered users for the price of the postage,update the unit and return the card,the case is overpriced as is £30 for the bike mount ( got two of them ) !!

All good kit but a bit on the pricy side.

Ian
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a bit awed by Satmap's pricing, even though I accept it is good kit. But the world is changing; look at what is happening with mobile internet. Take the iPhone: ok, it is still expensive but prices for equivalent kit will be dropping rapidly over the next couple of years. Not only can you go out into the country with gps, but also linked to google maps. Why settle for OS maps when you have a recent actual photo of the ground?
I've been involved with IT for 30-odd years. It always amazes me how quickly technology progresses compared to the predictions. It wasn't that long ago I bought a 1 MB memory extension for a PC for over £1000 ...
Anybody care to predict what we will be carrying in our pockets in say three years time? I bet it won't be a chunky bit of dedicated kit showing you where you are on an OS map.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd never choose an aerial photo in preference to an OS map for any serious purpose! Until there is a reasonable alternative to OS then we'll still be using their mapping, albeit more and more in digital formats for years to come.

The Satmap is expensive kit because it is niche and a relatively low volume. But it is reasonable to hope that the next version will incorporate economies of production and improvements in design that can reduce the manufacturing costs. and thus the end cost.

The OS mapping will be a fixed cost that all the competitors have to suffer as well although there is debate over what proportion of the actual cost is the licence and what is profit.

Yes there are devices that can do some of the same things but the Satmap succeeds because it is a dedicated rugged device and not despite of it.

Look at the price of a ruggedised PDA or laptop in comparison with their more normal equivalents, they are a lot more expensive. Regardless of technology improvements there will always be a market for devices like this.
davidor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree there are a lot of advantages of an OS map over an aerial photo, the point I was really trying to make is that technology is moving forward at an alarming rate. Who would have predicted that a phone would have live google maps with gps say 3 years ago. And OS maps are already available free online. I think we will see some remarkable changes in the next two or three years.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What puzzles me slightly is that although accessories seem pretty expensive, and the unit itself is fairly pricey (but good value - and I can't really complain as I also pay through the nose for my Navigon!) seem REALLY reasonable. Eg one poster has just been quoted something like £37 (IIRC) to upgrade his incompatible (old) Active10 to be able to take the full 1.4 upgrade - from what I've seen, Garmin for instance, wouldn't even open your return package for that!
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigPerk wrote:
What puzzles me slightly is that although accessories seem pretty expensive, and the unit itself is fairly pricey (but good value - and I can't really complain as I also pay through the nose for my Navigon!) seem REALLY reasonable. Eg one poster has just been quoted something like £37 (IIRC) to upgrade his incompatible (old) Active10 to be able to take the full 1.4 upgrade - from what I've seen, Garmin for instance, wouldn't even open your return package for that!

I agree that Satmap's initial prices seem quite expensive, but the quality of their product and the after-sales care is, in my opinion, very good. (The motherboard replacement quote was £35, and my Active 10 is with them right now! Cool ) While it's away on holiday, I got my old Garmin 60CSx out of mothballs yesterday to give it an airing, and after using the Active 10 for 2 years, the Garmin seemed really old and clunky. Even with the GB Topo maps, the experience just wasn't a patch on the Active 10 - so Satmap, please hurry-up and get my baby back to me! Smile
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
I agree that Satmap's initial prices seem quite expensive, but the quality of their product and the after-sales care is, in my opinion, very good. (The motherboard replacement quote was £35, and my Active 10 is with them right now! Cool ) While it's away on holiday, I got my old Garmin 60CSx out of mothballs yesterday to give it an airing, and after using the Active 10 for 2 years, the Garmin seemed really old and clunky. Even with the GB Topo maps, the experience just wasn't a patch on the Active 10 - so Satmap, please hurry-up and get my baby back to me! Smile

I am in full agreement that Satmap provide an excellent after sales service ( although I have no complaints about Garmin Europe in that respect ) and that the 60CS with its Topo GB mapping is comparitively out of the ark.

What it boils down to I suppose is that the "add-ons" seem quite expensive.The bike-mount for instance,superb piece of kit,but £30 !!

The silicone case ( when available ) £40 !!

Yes no one forces anyone to buy the extras,but let someone dangle a shiny new add-on to a gizmo and all sense goes out of the window.

Ian
reklawpete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:03 pm    Post subject: Satmap Pricing Reply with quote

Are early adopters being penalised by having to pay for a platform upgrade? Those who bought early helped to get the company going and should not have to pay to upgrade to 1.4.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Pricing Reply with quote

reklawpete wrote:
Are early adopters being penalised by having to pay for a platform upgrade? Those who bought early helped to get the company going and should not have to pay to upgrade to 1.4.

Or look at it the other way. Garmin and the like would simply bring out a new model with no opportunity to upgrade in this way.

Satmap are to be applauded for allowing this upgrade path for those who want it.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Satmap Pricing Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
reklawpete wrote:

Or look at it the other way. Garmin and the like would simply bring out a new model with no opportunity to upgrade in this way.

Satmap are to be applauded for allowing this upgrade path for those who want it.

Despite the fact that I'm one of those early adopters -and it's going to cost me £35 for the upgrade- I agree with Darren - most other companies would simply supercede the old model with a new one and leave their early customers to their own devices...
I'm grateful that Satmap are pulling out the stops to allow me to keep up with the latest developments for a small payment.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just upgraded to the full v1.4 facilities with the £9.99 sd card. Went brilliantly.

It also made me rethink my view on their pricing a bit - I now see the charge as being for the sd card plus the 3 specific features which can't be downloaded online. But if those 3 items are not critical to you, then that of course leaves ALL the other features/improvements to the Active10 and Satsync as a completely free major upgrade Laughing How does that compare with TomTom, Garmin et al?.

Not so bad after all, methinks, Satmap Cool
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK,OK perhaps I was wrong,you've all persuaded me that Satmap isn't as expensive as I thought it was,I give in. Very Happy

( Still think £40 for a silicone case is a bit on the dear side though ).

Ian

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: