Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - v845 PostCode data Download Link
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

v845 PostCode data Download Link
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i enter a postcode such as

AB12 3CD

with the 801 postcode database supplied with the unit it would take me to the right road, say Wright Road, London.

With the 840 and 845 postcode database it take me to

Wrong Road, london

which is 2 streets away.

Entering Wright Road works ok, but not off the postcode anymore, unless i revert to the 801 Postcode database.

It was annoying when the map insisted the house numbers ended at 140 when there are 190 houses in the road. Finally got that sorted now they mess this up.

I can't work out how this PostCode file is suppossed to work with the map. When i bought the device the supplied maps wouldn't bring up my road using the postcode (neither would my uncles v out of date TT last month) until i got the latest map off the LMG. Since then i've only used the 801 PostCode file but the latest maps.

How does the information in the 2 relate to each other? i.e why do some corrections appear when the map is updated and some when the postcode file is updated?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How does the information in the 2 relate to each other? i.e why do some corrections appear when the map is updated and some when the postcode file is updated?

Who knows! The whole thing is a mystery to me as well.

Have you tried using the Postcode option in MapShare to correct the error?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have you tried using the Postcode option in MapShare to correct the error?

Already done. Also raised a case with TT.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Member "bigade1" on another forum has just passed on this useful info:

Quote:
After testing several downloads from Tomtom, the new 845 postcode '.ver' files are corrupted and therefore no version number will be displayed when using Home/Manage My Device/Postcodes.

It's a simple process to edit them using notepad or to even create new ones so that they read the same format as previous versions i.e. this is what they should read after comparing them to previous versions:

[description]
ID=GreatbritainPostal_TeleAtlas
version=845

[description]
ID=nederlandPostal_teleatlas
version=845

I don't use Home for this sort of thing myself, but many thanks BigAde!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought they seemed smaller for the .ver files.

Who cares what HOME tells you anyway! You should know what version of what is installed - never rely on HOME!
fecknarff
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Everyone for the great information supplied. Just bought a TomTom One XL IQ Routes a week ago and updated to the latest version of maps via TomTom Home, and foolishly thought it would also give me the latest postcodes as well. Checked my version of the postcodes file to find that I had version 801. So have down loaded the 845 version and installed onto my TomTom without any problems. Thanks again for the information. Very Happy Very Happy
ticklepin
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: v845 PostCode data Download Link Reply with quote

Yes, very many thanks to all you ever helpful contributors.
My new Go 730 would not ‘do’ postcode search after updating to most recent map.
After reading this thread I managed to discover that my “zip” file only had Dutch postcode data!
I inserted the v 845 G.B. data from the link and now all is well.
Brilliant!
May I request that some mitey brane applies himself to the problem of making the enormous amount of expertise available on these forums more specifically indexed and easily searchable?
When you don’t really know what you are doing, it is easy to take a hammer to the device when what you really need is someone to guide you to a mallet!
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been searching the internet and these forums, but cannot find an answer to my postcodes problem - sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find it if it has!

I'm due to go to Jersey and Guernsey for business soon, and my maps seem to cover the islands adequately. However, most of my business takes place in Garden Centres, which don't tend to have an address, just postcodes.

Now I'm sure that at one point our TomTom One XL used to have Channel Islands' postcodes - however, since updating to newer maps, this no longer seems to be the case. You can search by road names, but not postcodes.

I've tried copying back the original "zip" folder contents to the device (701), to no avail; I've tried various other postcodes files (607 and 845), still no joy.

Does anyone have a postcodes file that covers the Channel Islands or know where I can get one? Any help would be greatly appreciated Smile
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As there is no way to 'read' the area covered by any particular postcodes file version, can we do it another way by you giving us a couple of examples of Channel Islands postcodes to try?
DarrenR21373
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea, here's a couple that I'm 99.9% sure were once available:

GY5 7SS - Le Friquet, Castel, Guernsey

JE3 7BP - St Peter's, Jersey

Something else that I seem to remember - the One XL didn't have a "zip" folder at all at one point (despite being bought brand new from a reputable shop), even though the C.I. postcodes as well as all the other UK ones worked. I remember this because I wanted to copy the working C.I. postcodes to my old TomTom One 3rd Edition. Is it possible that they were somehow hard coded to the original map?

I also seem to remember that we had no postcodes at all after subscribing the XL to the new map service, and the 701 file possibly got copied from my One 3rd Edition...

Thanks again.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you only ever got the 3 Digit Postcode for the Channel Isles - Data that is built into the Map, rather than the zip add-on.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarrenR21373 wrote:
Good idea, here's a couple that I'm 99.9% sure were once available:

GY5 7SS - Le Friquet, Castel, Guernsey

JE3 7BP - St Peter's, Jersey .............
Hi DarrenR21373, my W&E Europe maps are about 1 year out of date but I do have the latest PostCode data on my Go730, I can not even get the 3 digit post code search to work on either GY5 or JE3, in fact, when I enter "G" into the search it returns road names in Glasgow, when I follow that with the "Y", the TomTom jumps immediately to "HA01AB". Entering a "J", the TT goes straight to "KA106AA".
A town search finds St Peter's but not Le Friquet, nor Castel.
I changed country to France and searched for postcode and town just in case there was an error somewhere (me or the machine) and no results matched our search.

Gibralta has it's own country listing but the C.I. do not.

Interestingly (or not), it looks as though GoogleMaps only have a 4 digit search for the C.I.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
... I can not even get the 3 digit post code search to work on either GY5 or JE3, in fact, when I enter "G" into the search it returns road names in Glasgow, when I follow that with the "Y", the TomTom jumps immediately to "HA01AB".

To use the 3 digit Postcode you have to go Address - Street and house number. Wink

The Postcode files will only work with the full code.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
theloft
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to the link and downloaded to my TT920. My zip. properties is now showing 21.mb but the update is November 2007. Opened the zip folder on my TT and it is showing 2 files for Great Britain and 2 for Nederlands dated 2007 and compressed zip of 10 mb dated to-day. I thought the new one overwrote the older ones ? Should I delete the old ones and does the zipped file automatically unzip to the TT. Sorry if this does not make sense but I am not super techie. Is there anything else I should be doing?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect the device to the PC and use Windows Explorer to view the contents of the "zip" folder, in it you will find four files, fight click the file named"Great_BritainPostal.ver" and select Open With/ NotePad, if you have the latest version as of today (v845) you will see the following in NotePad:

[description]
GreatbritainPostal_TeleAtlas

Anything else and you have something not quite right - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: