Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PocketGPS World voice alerts.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PocketGPS World voice alerts.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GROPY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: PocketGPS World voice alerts. Reply with quote

Can any expert please tell me whether PocketGPSWorld voice alerts will function when using a third party safety camera database? If so are there any must-do's in installation?

Many thanks

Cliff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they are designed and formatted for our database. Whose database are you using?
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if not ours, why not? It's the best Very Happy
GROPY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: voice Alert Interoperability Reply with quote

Thank you Darren I am currently using the Cyclops database with my Nuvi 865t. However this has a software issue, acknowledged by Garmin, that causes the unit to freeze as it enters warning zones!! Garmin are advising that the proximity alerts function is disabled while they sort out a fix. So I was looking at alternatives. Pocketworld's seems the best especially with the voice alerts function, but I also was investigating SCDB, which is basically free if you enter their reporting scheme. I seem to recall that used to be how you functioned years ago....

Cliff
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SCDB. Only 5361 cams in UK then???? Sad They don't seem to do their 'Tours' very often either. Sad
Ours is free as well if you are the first to accurately report a new cam etc. Very Happy

Last edited by M8TJT on Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: voice Alert Interoperability Reply with quote

GROPY wrote:
So I was looking at alternatives. Pocketworld's seems the best especially with the voice alerts function, but I also was investigating SCDB, which is basically free if you enter their reporting scheme. I seem to recall that used to be how you functioned years ago....

I don't know the specifics of SCDB's offer but if you report a new camera to us we have our Lifetime Subscriber offer.

SCDB's Uk data is very much poorer than ours and they don't verify either.

You get what you pay for, except perhaps with Cyclops where you have paid £29.99 and appear not to have got much at all.
GROPY
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: SCDB Vs Pocketworld Reply with quote

Thanks guys. No initial charge for Cyclops with the Nuvi 865t by the way, but your point is well-taken, and there is a charge after the first 3 months. Overall I am convinced and will subscribe to Pocketworld. However, would you please give me your view on the claim that Cyclops is the only system that identifies accurately cameras situated in your direction of travel. I have used a Microfuzion unit for years but it is a pain giving warnings based on a radius rather than a pinpoint. How about PocketGPSWorld?

Thanks

Cliff
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: SCDB Vs Pocketworld Reply with quote

GROPY wrote:
However, would you please give me your view on the claim that Cyclops is the only system that identifies accurately cameras situated in your direction of travel.

Cyclops are correct. But what they fail to mention is that they are the only ones to do that because Garmin don't allow third parties to offer directional data!

We have it, we'd love to offer it, but Garmin reserve that for their service. The less charitable would suggest they have to have one USP.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: