Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Two entries for each poi?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Two entries for each poi?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Two entries for each poi? Reply with quote

I've copied the speed camera files (pocketgps_uk_mobile.ov2 etc, with the associated bmp files) into the map directory of my (new) TomTom XL Live IQ Routes Edition, together with POIs for three supermarkets. When I look at the POIs on the device (eg to edit the settings to show them on the map etc) there seem to be two entries for each POI - one with the pocketgps icon and file name, the other with a red square and the filename preceded by a red square. Yet when I look at the files - via my computer - I cannot see any duplicate files. (I have set the options to "show hidden files", btw.)

Is this normal?

Screenshots showing pois for Sainsbury's, Tescos and Waitrose at

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1677214/tomtomfiles.jpg

and

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1677214/tomtompois.jpg

Thanks ... Smile
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That second shot "seems" to be showing an additional set of files with the filename beginning with a DOT? Have another look to see if you can find those.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must be using a Mac!

See Here for a solution.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Two entries for each poi? Reply with quote

First, apologies for posting on a topic already solved in another post - I had done a search of the forum, but didn't find the existing post. So thanks for your patience.

Yes, I'm a long-standing Mac user, and very familiar with this little problem, so I'd already had a good look for the most likely culprits by using the "defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES" command in terminal to show hidden and system files, and then inspecting the contents of the TomTom internal disk using the Finder. Hence my little throwaway comment in the original post:
Quote:
snip ...
Yet when I look at the files - via my computer - I cannot see any duplicate files. (I have set the options to "show hidden files", btw.)
snip ...

Doing this I can see the OS X files in the root directory of the TomTom internal disk - .fseventsd, .Trashes and .Spotlight-V100. But there are no OS X files visible in the map folder.

However, I've now looked at the contents of the map folder on a Windows machine too (did this before checking the posts here this morning, btw Wink ), and there they were! Deleted them, and hey presto, the mystery POI entries were gone.

So problem solved, but I can't for the life of me understand why I can't see the files on my Mac. (BTW, I installed Blue Harvest, as recommended in the other thread - it couldn't see the Mac files either!)

Thanks again, Richard.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the screenshot (photo) of your device, I guess you might like this tip for screendumps?

Create a folder on the device called screen and into that place an empty file called capture (no extension). On Windows PCs we create the blank file by opening Notepad, then saving the file without typing anything into it, save as capture. Then amending the file to remove the .txt extension.

Then you tap the top left corner of the screen and it will give a very satisfying SLR camera-type click and save a screenshot of the current screen as a bitmap in the screen folder.

archchancellor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dennis - I'll do this using one of our PCs rather than the Macbook!

TT Mapshare never ... what's that about then? Question Confused
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that I don't believe in MapShare. Or more positively, I actuallyu believe in NOT MapShare.

There are two schools of thought.

One school believes MapShare corrections are good for you. They provide you with updates to your map as advertised by TomTom - you and other users make corrections to your maps, share them with TomTom who then share them with everybody else.

The other school believes they are bad for you. It is not known how well TomTom verifies the corrections they receive before they pass them on to other users - some of us think the process is flakey, to say the least. That's based on several pretty terrible "corrections" which were circulated at one time. We don't know, but suspect that downloaded corrections are held temporarily on the device and have to be scanned all the time, thereby slowing the device down. It is also understood that corrections can only be downloaded for identical maps and devices - if you upload corrections from your XL Live IQ Routes Europe, they will never be downloaded to my XL Live IQ Routes UK&ROI. Different map, different device. So your corrections are no use to me and mine are no use to you. etc. etc. etc. It has also been the case that the map corrections are not retained for the next map you upgrade to, unless they are written permanently into the new map. Maybe you change the name of your street, but although it shows immediately on your present map, if TomTom don't change it on the master map, when you download your next map release, the name will be wrong and you'll need to "correct" it again. That's quite annoying if you've invested time and effort in correcting all the little errors for a few miles round where you live.

I repeat, there are two schools, so don't take my word for it - read (elsewhere), think and decide for yourself.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: