Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin/Navteq traffic patterns
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin/Navteq traffic patterns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: Garmin/Navteq traffic patterns Reply with quote

How long will it be before Garmin include Navteq Traffic Patterns into their devices?

TomTom have had IQ routes for a little while now, and by all accounts this is pretty good.

Garmin seem to be playing catch up, clearly that is down to Navteq, who always seem to be behind in my opinion.

There doesn't seem to be any mention of Traffic Patterns in the gumpf for the 1690, so will there be a new one hot on its heels??

Will Traffic Patterns be available for older Garmins, I imagine that is unlikely, i'm sure they will be happy to fleece some more cash off loyal buyers to purchase another new unit, but maybe i'm being a touch cynical.

I have to say I think it would be a decent addition, having driven from Lincoln to Birmingham the other day during rush hour traffic, my estimated time of 1hr 50 mins that turned into 2hrs 50 mins without any real traffic incidents, just slow rush hour traffic shows that ETA's are very imprecise with the current method.

It will be interesting what transpires!
BeatO
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8, it's an interesting thought, but the ETA calculation got worse with my newest unit (nüvi 765T) compared to my now quite old Quest 2.

I guess it would already be very helpful in changing the speed they use for the time calculation of a route, meaning assume a slower speed. I often see routes taken through town where a motorway goes around town. The time show as ETA through town is way too optimistic, say for an estimation of a 30 minute trip you can add another 15 minutes easily, and that is without any accidents or the like, just the usual traffic you can expect driving through town. If I then leave the suggested route and recalculation kicks in, my new ETA is around 1 to 2 minutes off the ETA calculated through town, but this time using the motorway. Just a tiny adjustment in the right direction would make a huge difference and route you the right way. And, that ETA is quite accurate.

Or is there any way of adjusting the speed used for calculation on the unit itself? It is in Mapsource, but I could not find it on any device itself yet.

BeatO
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Traffic Patterns Reply with quote

Navigon already use Navteq Traffic Patterns within the latest units using the MyRoutes option, which is incredibly useful

Guess it's only time before Garmin catches up, and utilise some of the data already available to them
Nexus 6p, Apple iPhone 6sPlus and Microsoft Lumia 950xl running TomTom, Garmin, CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, Here Drive, Google, Waze, MS Maps
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magellan is also using Navteq Traffic Patterns on it's newest release in the States, the 4700. I'll be very surprised if Garmin doesn't begin using it within the next 90 days or so.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say I would find an IQR equivalent a far more useful addition than most of the live services on offer.

Something that really gets back to quality routing and getting away from fluffy gimmicks like 3D building views (look out the window if you want those) and an MP3 player is what's needed.

Incorporating Traffic Patterns, which should be pretty much caught up with Teleatlas by next year I think would be a big step forward in route planning.
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becker who use Navteq are now producing devices with Traffic Patterns data in their Z204/205 Traffic assist models.

Garmin are the only major Navteq fuelled PND manufacturer not equipped with this data now.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: