Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 540 spoken text and speed cams
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

540 spoken text and speed cams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis its really just an experiment as many have complained about real spoken warnings being too quite by comparison when otherwise using TTS voices for direction. It didn't take me too long to key in all of the warnings probably about 45 minutes but with breaks between because its boring.

Can someone tell me where users TTS entries are stored? If they could be edited wherever they maybe, rather than using the TT device that could be useful for avid users of POI warnings, that does not mean me by the way.

The jury is still out for me about how good TTS voices for direction are, but it seems to be an advantage when hearing the name of the road you should be turning into, rather than having to look at the screen.

The 520 was purchased on a whim when the map update service for my 510 expired. The 520 has had all of the updates done to create the equivalent of the 530 and so far I really don't think the improvements over the 510 are worthwhile, in some respects mainly the screen clarity the 510 is better. Now it remains to be seen what unit expires first, the old 510 or the new 520.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would NOT accuse Liz Whitaker with siren of being quiet!! BUT the latest Navcore (8.351) has terrible volume levels - on my 920 I rolled back to Navcore 8.302 to get it back to audible.

On balance, I think TTS computer navigation is better for the same reason as you, street names. But it is a balance - in towns, the instructions can be so long-winded that they fall over each other. The TTS voice will also read aloud text messages and traffic warnings if you have these on your device. If you still have it enabled, try passing the TTS navigation through FM (speaker preferences) to your radio - I found them incredibly real that way and with a fingertip volume control on my steering column, very customisable on the road. I don't use it any more as I prefer having Radio 5 on all the time for extra traffic information and TT disabled the FM function anyway at one time.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EricWB wrote:
Can someone tell me where users TTS entries are stored? If they could be edited wherever they maybe, rather than using the TT device that could be useful for avid users of POI warnings, that does not mean me by the way.

The text you enter is stored in the MapSettings.cfg file which you will find in the UK&ROI map folder, try copying the file to your PC then right click and select Open With/ NotePad, you will see a few lines of gibberish but towards the end of the text you should recognise some of what you typed. As its not everything you typed its not viable to edit the POI TTS - Mike
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that information Mike I had thought that's where they might be, so if the file format changes at some future update and restoring the old one from my backup fails to work, that maybe the end of my own TTS camera warnings I don't think its worth the effort of typing them in again.

Had a look at the file with Wordpad I do feel the urge for some experimenting again how else do you discover things if its not been done before? I think you can also open the file with POIEdit but at the moment you cant save it again or not the last time I tried.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option to consider is get a 3,5MM stereo lead (same plug both ends - Maplins sell them for very little), plug one end in to the Line out socket on the TomTom and the other to the Line In on the computer, record each of the POI sounds on your PC then re-name each resulting file to match the POI name and you will have your own set of OGG Vorbis warnings (Use Audacity on the PC to record/ edit the sounds - google it as its both very good and free). At least this way your POI warnings don't get botched everytime you do a software update! - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Another option to consider is get a 3,5MM stereo lead....

But then they will again be quiet compared to the "live" TTS voice!
That's how I worked out there was nothing you could do about the relative volumes - record a TTS voice, ensure the recording is adjusted to the loudest peak level allowed, put it back on the TomTom and it will play out quieter.

But one advantage of recording them like that (as ogg files) is that you can add a siren or whatever to the front, something you can't do if you just type the words in.

This is exactly how the "Simon" voice on the download page was done.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: