Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Another HD Traffic FAIL
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Another HD Traffic FAIL
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:

So, it seems to me that I got some form of update but no update of all of the incidents.

I've found this too. What I've found though is that the screen displays 'Traffic Updated' but it does not refresh the screen straight away (too much of a load on the poor little processor/memory?) and refreshes the screen a minute or so later. As if the data has been received but not processed and displayed on the device.

Just to add to falkirk81's comments.....I've found coverage improving too. Passed through the small city of Perth to find many 'queuing cars' in the usuall Perth morning hotspots. Never seen coverage here other than on the M9/A9 on the outskirts of Perth.

Managed to get 3 refreshes in 10min today at lunchtime (12:10).

Back to 0 by 15:00 though.

Lets hope it IS work in progress!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This mornings screenshots. 106 incidents on leaving home, still 106 half an hour later. This screenshot taken just after a reboot before the traffic info refreshed.

This one taken as soon as the traffic info synced a minute later. So, still not updating in peak times.

Come on TT get your act together and sort this!
shires999
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it didn't update on my way home yesterday and it didn't update this morning either. I'm doing teh same test this morning and so far there's been no update even though teh ORP says otherwise.
I did a reply from Tomtom just asking for a copy of my system info and details of my network details and it's gone to 2nd level.
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Wait the best part of a week for another reply from TT are elevation to the 2nd level, and then they just come back with a request for exactly the same details as they asked for last time.

I am getting more than a little hacked off now.

Can't see this getting sorted out any time soon, that is for certain.

I think TT have mad it to the top of my most useless company list now, replacing Virgin Media.

Rant over!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swash wrote:
I think TT have mad it to the top of my most useless company list now, replacing Virgin Media.

Isn't that just a bit hasty? I need a new email address to register my nice brand new refurbished GO520 so that I can get on with the struggle for the new 840 map LMG. Virgin has for a fortnight been showing a notice that my email care page is under development, so I cannot add or delete any email addresses until it's done. The nice young lady in Rangoon told me she had no knowledge of it and couldn't help! (Before anybody pops in, I don't want anything else thank you, my email addresses for TomTom are very logical and structured and now up to number 15 or so).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
phillevy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just came back from Birmingham today - hit a 20 minute queue on the M6 between Junction 3 and 2 and my 540 was oblivious to it for the whole duration - this is becoming a farce Evil or Very Mad
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What really concerns me is the lack of encouragement that they are in any way aware of the full extent of the problems.

Asking individuals to send them ridiculously detailed accounts of their problems is pointless when it is clear that the whole HD Traffic system has completely ceased to function correctly especially during rush hours.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ticket was escalated to the black hole of second line on Monday at 14:37.

Not heard a peep out of them since then.

Looks like yet again they are burying their head in the sand.

If TT were treating this seriously and trying to resolve this issue then they would have had the developers release a debug build to the beta testers, have got the data back and know how to fix it.

Instead, we either get ignored or asked to fill a massive report form in whilst driving so that they can investigate. I wouldn't like to be TT when someone cause a huge accident beacuse they were trying to work out which Hectometre they were at when traffic last updated and write it all down so that they can send it in. The media would have a field day!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been on the TT website to update my ticket and they have updated the site with the following on the HD traffic page:
Quote:

HD Traffic™
The UK’s most accurate and up-to-date traffic information

mmmm not so sure about that at the moment

Quote:

Being stuck in a traffic jam is one of the most irritating modern realities for drivers. But imagine if you had the latest, most accurate traffic information in the blink of an eye. Your device could then get you through the jams in the fastest possible way - you could even avoid them completely! So you see the light at the end of the tunnel, while all the other drivers have no end in sight....

That's what HD Traffic gives you. Get the widest coverage, with more roads covered, that is twice as accurate on the traffic location, length, delay and arrival time, than other traffic information providers – all in real time.

Real Time - wow I must have been in some kind of time warp for about a fortnight then

Quote:

* Unrivalled road network coverage in the UK, with more than 65,000 miles of roads
* Coverage that includes motorways, major A roads and trunk roads
* Traffic updates every three minutes, sent directly to your device
* Detailed reports about the duration, length and cause of delays
* Automated rerouting for alternative, quicker routes

HD Traffic makes use of the most advanced sources, including:

* The place and speed of 18 million Vodafone users on the road (unique)
* The place and speed of other TomTom users on the road (unique)
* Governmental and third party traffic information

Every three minutes - are you sure about that???

Advertising Standards might find some of those claims interesting ........
Jaz666
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it's looking like the devices are not able to handle the amount of data (and please TT, don't roll back to your previous patchy coverage just to fix this).

It strikes me that the units are programmed to show far too much info than we need. My 540 is currently showing incidents as far as 160 miles away.
Does anyone really have a need to know what could be happening on the road that far ahead?
A good run on a Motorway will only take you 70 miles (legally) in an hour, so perhaps reducing the data radius would cut down the amount of data the device downloads?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaz666 wrote:
So it's looking like the devices are not able to handle the amount of data

I'm no guru on this, so all I can offer is my opinions/guesses. I don't think this is the case - we've seen instances of users saying they have over 1000 incidents reported - if the devices couldn't handle that much, surely they wouldn't report that much. And we get no similar grumbles from GPRS users who get pretty large downloads.

It seems to me that TT's system can't handle it - with the uptake of Live services, they've not got the capacity to supply the data to us. I dunno how it all works, just somebody told me there's a Vodafone SIM card buried in each unit, so it's making and receiving phone calls at whatever rate TT have set it to - the description Andy quotes above is three minutes. So it looks to me like sometimes the phone is getting an engaged signal because a lot of people are calling TomTom for HD traffic data. Alternatively, the system is automatic phone calls from TT to each individual device with the data and it is falling over when it tries to do that to all the devices which have registered they are online (signed in when switched on - I personally never ask my device to login, it just does it).

I have never yet managed 70 miles on a motorway in an hour. But there are odd occasions when a very distant traffic situation would be valuable to me - If I'm to go from Bristol to Edinburgh, I have a choice between M6 to Glasgow, or M42 and M1. If there's a closure on one route and I know about it soon enough, I can elect to use the other route without too much consequence for my fuel tank. That's an extreme case, but generally I'd say the further away I am notified, the easier it is to take a diversion.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching the Go940 and the TT Route planner today. Until around 10am I had nothing but trouble getting traffic info on the GO, but around 10am it all started working and updated continually until around 16:30. The screen I had was the Northern sector of the M25 and North London and it matched on the planner and the Go.

However at 16:30 it stopped updating and when I forced the Go to update it only downloaded a small proportion of the incidents showing on the route planner. So as well as not updating at peak times, it does not download all the data when it does connect at these times meaning even if you can get the data it is wrong.

If I repeat the download twenty minuntes later, it is virtually the same as the previous download (around 380 incidents at 17:10). Many are missing compared the route planner but incidents that have cleared on the route planner are being downloaded again by the Go, so it appears that the data for the Go to download is not being updated.

This service is just appalling.

Now at 17:15 it is showing 0 incidents.

17:20 - 781 incidents.

17:25 - 1182 incidents

17:30 - 382 incidents
swash
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More annoyed than ever today, traffic in the South East has been appalling during both rush hours around my route, with the M25 being closed this morning and the A2 closed this evening, and once again zero updates automatically and then patchy coverage at best as described by Mr T above after a restart.

Still nothing from TT, except for requests for information despite the fact that my ticket was first opened on 12th November.

Absolutely shocking stuff Evil or Very Mad
orion_jb2001
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Well I suppose being in the back blocks of world technology may have some advanitges, we will never likely get such a service like live in Australia, so all your problems with this system shant haunt us. Laughing

Jeff
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I grabbed plenty of screenshots to demonstrate the HD Traffic refresh issue. These are in 3’s – keep your eye on the timestamps in the top right.

First shot of each three is just before a reboot showing the total number of incidents and the time. Second shot is just after a reboot before the traffic has sync’ed again, showing exactly the same number of incidents. The third screenshot shows the number of incidents after the traffic info has refreshed.

Some of these refreshes took quite a few minutes as can be seen from the time stamp.

The next set of three shots follows on some minutes later, and starts with exactly the same number of incidents (in the majority – see below) as the last shot of the previous three, showing that the traffic info has not updated in between.

It is not totally sequential, as I did a couple of reboots without taking screenshots as I wanted to quickly force an update of the traffic info.

Forced a manual update by rebooting in between before the next three

There was another reboot before these were taken

Another reboot in between

And as can be seen – no connection to the server – so reboot again

And as can be seen, my TT telling me that traffic info is up to date, and there are absolutely no traffic incidents anywhere in the UK!!!!!!

3 minutes later -

There are more, but they tell the same story. HD Traffic is not updating unless you reboot.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: