Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom SpeedCams not selling very well then?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom SpeedCams not selling very well then?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: TomTom SpeedCams not selling very well then? Reply with quote

I see TomTom have extended their extension on the extension of the reduced price offer on their speed cams yet again Laughing

Can't help but draw the conclusion that they aren't selling very well and is it little wonder? I loaded up my 940 with their speedcams for a jaunt to Devon and back last weekend.

It has been a while since I last appraised them but good grief, they aren't just bad, they are laughable. And these are the supposed premium cams with data from Road Angel!

Cameras that no longer exist, cameras that are in the wrong location, off by a few hundred yards and the best one, a mobile on the A303 for which TomTom made no mention whatsoever but our database happily forewarned.

A trip down the M3 Tuesday had it bleeping away at SPECS that have moved location weeks previously. Once again, we have the accurate data.

Yes it is easy to install, no argument there but surely the accuracy of the data is the crucial factor? Rely on TT's data and you'll be needing a bus pass all too soon Rolling Eyes
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom SpeedCams not selling very well then? Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
A trip down the M3 Tuesday had it bleeping away at SPECS that have moved location weeks previously. Once again, we have the accurate data.

The same applies to the Specs that used to be around the M55/ M6 junction, long since removed from our database, but the TomTom still has them in the latest release, its a good few months since these were removed from the road side - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have 40mph specs to this day on the M4 east of Swindon and 50mph specs between Junctions 8 and 9 on the M5. As I posted a couple of days ago, they have one set of specs between here and Harrogate - the roadworks between M1 Jct 25 and 28 which have been running since the Flood, and not another specs camera at all for my trips north last week - Chester, Manchester and Harrogate. Somebody else posted that they had none of six separate sets of specs M5/M6 to Preston. As Darren says, we have the data all correct. They really should drop this peripheral stuff and support the POIs and SDK (wot's SDK, by the way?) to allow competent third parties to do the job properly for them. Like you say, update of cameras is a doddle, every day I just connect to Home and click update my XL Live and often down comes something called cameras. Easy Peasy. But whatever comes down, it's certainly not all those specs they're missing!

I have five current email registrations with TomTom accounts and these speed camera offers repeated every few days are slowly driving me up the wall. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

EDIT Easy Peasy except tonight - TT server seems to have died.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
(wot's SDK, by the way?)

Software Developers Kit - a kit (or set of code etc) that allows developers to have access to key parts of, for example, the operating system / hardware etc.

MaFt
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why, but I got 4 emails of this extended offer all to the same email address Rolling Eyes
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I have had 3 now, the last one telling me they have extended the offer to allow me take advantage of this once in a life time, not to be missed offer of generosity.
Thanks, but no thanks.
elljay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of reporting them to the ASA.. Wink

(P.S. The "Read More" link in the newsletter about this took me to the forums home rather than to this thread)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must be an issue with the Newsletter service as the web page correctly directs here.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/newsletters/newsletter-06nov09.htm
XssaCutOR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Removing TomTom Speed Cams Reply with quote

How do I remove the TT camera files (not the PGPSW ones)?

I too get annoyed by the inaccuracy of the data that was offered for an initial free download whenever I installed TT Home onto a new computer.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: Removing TomTom Speed Cams Reply with quote

XssaCutOR wrote:
How do I remove the TT camera files (not the PGPSW ones)?

I too get annoyed by the inaccuracy of the data that was offered for an initial free download whenever I installed TT Home onto a new computer.

You don't necessarily have to remove them, it will be enough if you simply disable the warnings. It's possible to remove them using Home (remove items from my device) or some of them using Windows Explorer - if you have in your map folder files called such as Blitzer.OV2 and Fartkamera.OV2, you'll also have a Safety_Cam_UK set - you can recognise the TT ones because they have a set of three files for each, .OV2, .DCT and .VER - you can delete all of these if you wish (maybe best to keep a copy in your backup folder in case you want to sell your device on and care to reinstate them). But do make sure you disable them on your device anyway.

XssaCutOR
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

However, I cannot find all those file types - I did find a .DCT file, and also a .PNA & .META with a similar file name and the same timestamp.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XssaCutOR wrote:
Thanks for the info.

However, I cannot find all those file types - I did find a .DCT file, and also a .PNA & .META with a similar file name and the same timestamp.

Don't touch them! The only ones you are really likely to have are the safety_cam_uk files. Settle for disabling them on the TomTom itself via the safety cameras menu.

Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a frequent traveler on the A1 south of Newcastle, I was disappointed by how many weeks (and multiple reports) it took before they added the temporary SPECS cameras on the Team Valley roadworks. An equivalent delay in updating their database occurred after the cameras were removed - again, the now-false alerts continued for weeks despite being reported multiple times.

I have a year's subscription to Tomtom LIVE services, including the cams, that doesn't run out until well into 2010, but my plan is to silence the Tomtom alerts for these and rely on my new Inforad K1 and the PGPSW database instead from now on.
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seamaster, the SPECS cameras you refer to have now been removed on the latest TT database! Very Happy

It was VERY annoying to have that warning everytime I drove past!

iPhone 12
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some roadworks on the m6 around jun 13 stafford that have just been removed, but after 8 weeks tomtom have just added them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: