Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Stupid routes and Arrival Times
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Stupid routes and Arrival Times

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:24 am    Post subject: Stupid routes and Arrival Times Reply with quote

I have recently returned from a trip to Portugal with my Motorhome using my 660 and 2010.10 maps. I have the vehicle set as "Lorry". On countless occasions the instructions tried to send me off a main road merely to cut off a short bend or a right or left turn. The "short cut" was generally guaranteed to take longer by vrtue of needing to slow down for the turns involved. Even worse was the fact that setting th eunit to "Faster time" frequently provided a LATER arrival time than "Shorter distance". I needed to check the comparison every time I put in a new destination. On countless occasions I ignored the routing instructions and used my own gut feeling and saw the arrival time reduced by going my way rather than the way instructed by the 660.
I have always regarded the SatNav as an aid and not something to follow blindly but when Faster Time routes take longer than Shorter Distance routes confidence is shattered. What is wrong with Garmin's routing algorithms?

Oh - and to add insult to injury - the marked position frequently lagged significantly behind the actual vehicle position, causing me to miss turns or to take wrong exits on roundabouts!

None of these faults were noticed prior to maps 2010.10.

I guess that it is important to preserve old map editions in MapSource so that you can revert to a previous map if necessary.

Evil or Very Mad
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure it's the maps that are at fault. My old Nuvi 300T would generally produce a faster time when set to do so. My 6 month old 760T does exhibit some of the problems you mention; namely, when a faster route is ignored and you go with what you know is a quicker route, it recalculates and then shows the arrival time as being earlier.
I never noticed this 'quirk' on my old Nuvi. So, I would assume it's the software, not the maps.
And yes, the 'cutting off the corner' to save seconds is particularly annoying, especially when you're then confronted with a right hand turn across heavy traffic.
But then again, what do I know? maybe it IS rocket science. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: