Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Directional Speed Cams
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Directional Speed Cams
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigJacko wrote:
My reasoning is, if I CAN find an UNencrypted GRMREC01.GPI file, then I'm betting it may become a lot clearer how directional alerts are created.

Well - I have such an item in my possession, and the .gpx file from which it was created by the GPI_Creator from the Content Toolkit. I'm not sure if the agreement I signed with Garmin allows me to share it publicly.

The initial version of the GPI_Creator contained cryptic references to 'Alert Circles' - which no one managed to get working. I have a theory - based on not much! - that they're what's used to implement directional alerts. As in, the alert only triggers, if you passed through the trigger radius of the other one(s) in the group first. I could easily be wrong Very Happy

As an aside, the Cyclops produced GPI files exhibit other characterictics that are not seen in other GPI files: such as 'icons' in the alert banners and the fact that the POIs are 'invisible' - ie they don't show up anywhere in the Custom POIs menu structure.

On a different tack, someone pointed out a creative DIY method of producing directional alerts: Because alert audio will not interrupt other alert audio, a dummy alert with custom audio comprising only silence, will mask any other alerts encountered while it is playing. Of course, much playing around with alert placement and audio length is required to make it work...
Code:

------- Dummy Alert with -------- Camera Alert ---
       30 secs of silence          with audio

Going this way -----} you get silence

{------ going this way, you get the camera alert.

Last edited by PhilHornby on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilHornby wrote:
On a different tack, someone pointed out a creative DIY method of producing directional alerts: Because alert audio will not interrupt other alert audio, a dummy alert with custom audio comprising only silence, will mask any other alerts encountered while it is playing. Of course, much playing around with alert placement and audio length is required to make it work.

Been there, done that - it doesn't work, the phrases just get queued... Crying or Very sad
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've not actually tried it myself - but I thought it sounded plausible. Actually, said individual was complaining that files he made this way using Geovative.com worked and files created by POILoader from gpx input didn't. Maybe Geovative.com uses something else (gpsbabel?) to produce .GPI files....
BigJacko
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
the ONLY .gpi files we have seen with directional alerts have been the cyclops database... which leads me to believe that the version of gpi that cyclops use is what allows both the 'locking' and the directions
Maybe - but I'm not convinced. If the distinction between the two types of GPI that we definitely know about, are the GRMREC00/01 header bytes, then that indicates two filetypes. Certainly either (or both) could have compression or encryption applied - that could easily be a predetermined facet of either of those filetype standards - but there would need to be a codebyte or two somewhere in the header to indicate that either compression or encryption (or both) were switched on in that particular file. I haven't yet figured out which byte(s) it is, but I'll know soon.

But I think it's very unlikely that there'll be a codebyte in the header that determines whether the GRMREC01 filetype has 'directional capabilities' with its POIs, or not. Much more likely, the record-definition that applies to GRMREC01 files will have a field that is simply not used in the unencrypted GRMREC01 files that we've seen so far.

As it turns out, I DO have an unencrypted GRMREC01 file at my disposal. My Garmin came with one in the POIs folder - 006D135900.gpi - seems to be all about airports. I have a feeling it's something to do with some online-integrated live flights thing (I remember hearing something about it, but have forgotten the specifics). Highly unlikely that the POIs in there would need directional specificity, so very likely that if there IS a a field in the record-definition for GRMREC01 files, it will be unused in this file... but first, I'll need to work out if there are any places where a 'blank' might be sitting, in each record. Then I'll have a poke around and see what happens when data is put in them! ;) You never know! Smile

Ash10 wrote:
Also worth noting that Origin Technologies (creators of the Blue-i) hold a patent for directional warnings (amongst other things).

I strongly suspect that protection/encryption/keeping-it-away-from-the-masses is all part of the IP licensing deal.

In other words, a non-starter.
Not necessarily. Although I've seen of sites puffing up Origin's alleged patents (which I'm not disputing exist, but because I haven't seen them first-hand, they are, to me, alleged at this moment in time!), I've not seen any reference to a specific patent number that I could use to search online at:

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/types/patent/p-os.htm

I've had some experience with patents - and the devil is in the detail. Many companies blow wind about patents that are actually just patent applications or patents pending - it's a worth an extra line or two in a good review, it makes for good advertising, and it can sometimes worry off the competition. But it doesn't mean that something is necessarily unassailable. Patents tend to be very specifically defined and restrained, and 'catch-all' patents are unlikely. It'll all depend on what technology and specific method has been patented.

Curiously, although there is mention of their existence here...

http://www.origintechnologies.co.uk/about.cfm

...there is no mention of their numbers or areas of distinct application. Which leaves me a tad cynical until I can see the pudding. Smile

Furthermore, Cyclops themselves make absolutely no reference to any licence grant by Origin Technologies, anywhere on their site, either:

http://www.cyclops-uk.com/

Which makes me wonder whether they're 'running the risk', or whether the patent simply doesn't disbar them from doing the same thing. Similarly, Garmin don't seem to mention Origin Tech anywhere, either. I would've expected at the very least a one-line copyright or licensed-by statement, if they were doing this kind of stuff with Origin's approval. And if they're not, then it's quite possibly open season, not a non-starter! Smile

Quote:
(Or you could use Camera Manager 3 Razz )
I had a quick look at that a while ago, and discounted it for some reason (but tbh, I can't remember why). I do a lot of my own stuff in this area, and I don't need 'tools'... I just need 'features' - if you get my drift. I do appreciate that Camera Manager 3 can give me an onscreen indication, but to be perfectly honest, my reading-range eysight is getting crapper by the day - I rarely rely on the tiny textboxes even of the Cyclops alerts! At best, I can read the speedlimit icons in the bottom left, and my speed at the bottom! Shocked

I've made up my own audio TTS announcement from the AT&T website and encoded them into my PGPSW POIs, so they say exactly what I want them to say now. Yes, I could subdivide the CSV files further into direction-quadrant-based cams, and hook them up further to different alerts, but that's still not really what I want, tbh. I want the machine to keep schtum if there's nothing applicable, and to promptly and clearly holler the speedlimit a couple of times before I approach, if it IS applicable.

I know Camera Manager 3 could probably do all that for me quite easily - but it presumably costs money? Being a tightwad, and having the ability to do it all quite easily anyway, it seems foolish to spend out! I'm sure you understand; it's nothing personal against your creation, I promise.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: