Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - no traffic icon nuvi 1490T, sometimes, with GTM25
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

no traffic icon nuvi 1490T, sometimes, with GTM25

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: no traffic icon nuvi 1490T, sometimes, with GTM25 Reply with quote

hi all,

I seem to get regular periods when the green traffic icon just disappears, for extended periods, and then comes back.

This on my nuvi 1490T with the included GTM25.

I don't believe that is means "no signal", as that is denoted by the (undocumented) grey icon.

I also don't think it is related to a poor electrical data cable connection: I've had it on two different nuvis, with two GTM25s. I've also confirmed, during the problem period, that the nuvi is still receiving power from the cable (the battery icon disappears, and it also noticed when the car ignition is switched off).

Anyone else see this "no icon" problem, have any idea what it means?

thanks much...
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have seen this a few times, though I find it usually happens when I switch the unit on and it doesn't find a signal. If it then loses it, it will go grey, only occasionally disappearing altogether.

I'm not they have the software quite right with this grey icon thing yet, but it does seem to have improved since firmware v3.0.
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, good to know it's not just me.

I'm seeing this on 3.20, but I hadn't used it enough before to say if it's better or worse. But if it were worse before, that must have been atrocious, since it's pretty bad now. I had no icon for most of an hour yesterday, on A1M, A505, A10, only returning for a bit on the M11. Hardly out in the wilds Smile

thanks...
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdmackay wrote:
thanks, good to know it's not just me.

I'm seeing this on 3.20, but I hadn't used it enough before to say if it's better or worse. But if it were worse before, that must have been atrocious, since it's pretty bad now. I had no icon for most of an hour yesterday, on A1M, A505, A10, only returning for a bit on the M11. Hardly out in the wilds Smile

thanks...

The coverage for Trafficmaster is not entirely universal it has to be said, so you won't be guaranteed a signal everywhere.

If you check out this thread it gives a fairly up to date list of where the data is broadcast from.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=70655

Your area is slightly south of me so I know it well, I would have thought South Cambs, Herts, Essex should be pretty well covered, but you never can tell.

One place I know you should get a signal if you ever head this way is the A1M between Peterborough and Huntingdon, you should get a signal slightly nearer to Peterborough, that would be a good test if you ever head in that direction.

I have to say I am a little disillusioned with Garmin at the minute, I am toying with the idea of heading over to TomTom with it's HD traffic.

Anyway, hope that helps.
cdmackay
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that.

More nonsense: on Thurs, went from Hemel to Andover, via M25/M3/A303. Not a fun drive, but green traffic icons all the way.

Yet on the return journey, on Sat morning, no icon at all, for the entire journey.

Garmin UK would have me believe that this would be some fault with the FM station (or stations) covering this (extended) area, rather than a fault with my 1490 or GTM.

But is that likely? If this were a one-off, I could believe it, but it happens regularly (in different areas).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: