Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic info in London? IQ Routes? Which sat nav?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic info in London? IQ Routes? Which sat nav?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrdini
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Traffic info in London? IQ Routes? Which sat nav? Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a sat nav, perhaps a Tom Tom (but TBH, I have no preferences).

A couple of features that I'd love to see would be...

*) As I live in London, traffic avoidance would be awesome. However, as I understand it, the majority of traffic info (RDS-TMC, Trafficmaster & suchlike) are restricted to motorways, & A roads - which is kinda useless for roads in London. My friend mentioned IQ Routes, which sounds almost exactly like what I'd want. But how good is it? Do any other sat nav companies have anything similar? I'm perfectly aware that IQ Routes isn't "live" traffic info, but I can deal with that!

*) Since I have a MX5 Very Happy I'd love the ability to get nice B-roads recommendations, instead of defaulting to motorways. A bit like the Navigon "Scenic routes" option. (How well does that work anyway?)

I don't really have a budget in mind, but since I notice a basic TomTom ONE with IQ routes is £150~, I guess that's about what I'm happy to pay.

TIA!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic info in London? IQ Routes? Which sat nav? Reply with quote

Mrdini wrote:

*) As I live in London, traffic avoidance would be awesome. However, as I understand it, the majority of traffic info (RDS-TMC, Trafficmaster & suchlike) are restricted to motorways, & A roads - which is kinda useless for roads in London. My friend mentioned IQ Routes, which sounds almost exactly like what I'd want. But how good is it? Do any other sat nav companies have anything similar? I'm perfectly aware that IQ Routes isn't "live" traffic info, but I can deal with that!

TomTom Traffic does seem to do some routes through London, I often see it working on the north Circular etc. But as you say, it's mainly on the big roads.
IQ Routes is very good, but it's automatic so you don't normally see the decisions it makes (unless you switch it off and try calculating the route again).
I don't know of any other company doing anything similar, but I'm no expert on the competition.

Quote:
*) Since I have a MX5 Very Happy

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise I was talking to a lady..... Twisted Evil Laughing

Quote:
I'd love the ability to get nice B-roads recommendations, instead of defaulting to motorways. A bit like the Navigon "Scenic routes" option.

Don't worry... you'll get plenty of those! (My wife calls them "those TomTom routes")
The TT has a tendency to take you down a few small roads at times, if it thinks it will save a minute or two.
If you REALLY want a wiggly route, you can set it to calculate the "shortest" route, rather then the normal "fastest". It will then try to find a route as close to "as the crow flies" as possible.

Quote:
I don't really have a budget in mind, but since I notice a basic TomTom ONE with IQ routes is £150~, I guess that's about what I'm happy to pay.

Have a look at the XL models too and also a refurbished 520 or 530. I think the wide screen is well worth the extra (unless it doesn't fit in your handbag! Supreme Angel )
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To disagree with other people, I don't think IQ Routes is anything like as useful as the hype suggests.

Firstly, it's historical data which is embedded in the map - so it's out of date!! How long does it take to put a map together? At a guess, the best data is a year old and that's only if that particular data actually makes it into the map - how many new roads are "still not in the latest map"?

Second, it's subjective data - collected from users. The TT devices store information on routes driven and time taken - supposedly including day of week and time of day. That information is uploaded from devices connected to TomTom Home, provided the user agrees for it to be done. I don't know how big a proportion of users decline to allow TT to ferret around inside their devices, but there are some (I'm one). So the data says driver Bloggs got from A to D via B in 20 minutes. The alternative route via C has no data collected, because nobody drove it. So the data is inaccurate insofar as it may not include equivalent data for all possible routes.

Depending on the definitions of possible routes, IQ Routes will direct you through the quickest one - that can (and does, for me) result in you being directed along a narrow winding country lane, probably simply because somebody (no, several somebodies) took 40 minutes to drive from A to D via B, whilst via C is on derestricted (theoretically 60mph) lanes. Except that this was the data a year ago during a three month road widening project which delayed traffic beyond reason!!! Or for the last three months before that particular school closed and put an end to the school rush hour!! Or during a road closure period when nobody suffered a single delay on that route (because it was closed so nobody could drive along it).

It's a minefield which would have been better left alone by TT who should have concentrated on more practical solutions to existing problems with their devices rather than add to the already overcomplicated insides.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: