Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 64bit
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

64bit

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: 64bit Reply with quote

If I change my OS to 64bit when I upgrade to win7 will I still be able to use my F series desktop to install the Pocket GPS World latest camera updates.

I think I have read somewhere that Navman do not recognise 64bit.

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless another Navman user can confirm the desktop software works on a 64- bit OS you'd be best advised to direct the question at Navman or check to see if they have a FAQ that answers the question?
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Unless another Navman user can confirm the desktop software works on a 64- bit OS you'd be best advised to direct the question at Navman or check to see if they have a FAQ that answers the question?

Thanks
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my 64bit experience, chances are slim but the Navman Smart Desktop software did run successfully on WinXP64. So barring any issues with drivers not being supported you may be ok.

But like Darren said check with navman themselves.

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mostdom wrote:
In my 64bit experience, chances are slim but the Navman Smart Desktop software did run successfully on WinXP64. So barring any issues with drivers not being supported you may be ok.

But like Darren said check with navman themselves.

I have emailed Navman, but as usual no reply as yet.

Many thanks anyway.
Geistak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 64bit Reply with quote

swiftflo wrote:
If I change my OS to 64bit when I upgrade to win7 will I still be able to use my F series desktop to install the Pocket GPS World latest camera updates.

Thanks

Hi, I have the V735 (TV model) which shipped with MioMore Desktop 2

This works perfectly with Windows 7 64 bit

Hope that helped
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 64bit Reply with quote

Geistak wrote:
swiftflo wrote:

Thanks

Hi, I have the V735 (TV model) which shipped with MioMore Desktop 2

This works perfectly with Windows 7 64 bit

Hope that helped

Thanks, can only hope F Desktop is as your Desktop 2.

Mod Edit to fix mis-placed tags. PaulB2005
Geistak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 64bit Reply with quote

swiftflo wrote:
Thanks, can only hope F Desktop is as your Desktop 2.

When you install programmes into 7, you can usually choose 'XP compatability mode'.

Also, when you run the programme after installation, choose 'run as administrator' from the drop down menu.

I've been using 7 for about three months and the only programme I've had trouble with is Gadwin Print screen ;) - which immediately kills the computer.

Everything else has been fine - I have only a couple of dedictated 64 bit programmes, everything else is 32 bit, and works as per normal.

I really like Win 7 - best OS to date, imo.
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the response from Navman.
Dear Peter,

Navman support Vista on the new S Series and on all newer models. Navman do not officially support Vista on older devices that were in development before the release of Vista.

The 64-bit edition of Windows Vista is designed for serious computer users who have advanced needs and performance requirements. This is not a mainstream product and is not required by the average PC user.

Most hardware devices do not use 64-bit drivers. Navman does not use these drivers either and so is not compatible with this version of Vista. Devices need 64-bit drivers to work wit the 64-bit version of Vista.

Navman do not make units that are compatible with this version of Vista as it is not used by the average user and so there is little demand for us to do so.

If you're upgrading to Windows 7 then the same should apply, but we're unable to confirm until Windows 7 is officially released. Please ntoe that the F20 should only be compatible with Windows XP.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.

Kind regards,

Laughing Out Loud
G300PBV
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows 7 does have a Windows XP mode. This is a virtual machine which is 32 bit and supports USB devices. However, for this to work, your hardware has to support virtualisation; which most newish machines should.
CaptainDrift
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on which version on Windows 7 you have
the HOme does not offer the XP compatability mode
Professional and ultimate do and you can install 32 bit only software as it has the program files and x64 program fiels directories.

Windows XP 64bit will only run 64 bit programs, so that knock off a lot of software.
Lostntime
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Navman software Reply with quote

(The 64-bit edition of Windows Vista is designed for serious computer users who have advanced needs and performance requirements. This is not a mainstream product and is not required by the average PC user).
I have an elderly ICN530 and can confirm that the above message from Navman is true as I found when I tried to use it. However, the software does work OK if you can use the Win XP virtual mode although you must enable the "found unidentified hardware" in the USB tab after you connect the gps.
I also have a Garmin 630 and their software loves Win 7 x64 bit. Therefore when I have to replace either unit I can guarantee that I wont be buying another Navman gps especially following their stupid short sighted comments and the dropping of support shortly after I purchased my ICN 530.
Incidentally 99% of all the other software that ran on my Win XP x32 bit runs on my Win 7 x64 bit
swiftflo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman software Reply with quote

Lostntime wrote:
(The 64-bit edition of Windows Vista is designed for serious computer users who have advanced needs and performance requirements. This is not a mainstream product and is not required by the average PC user).
I have an elderly ICN530 and can confirm that the above message from Navman is true as I found when I tried to use it. However, the software does work OK if you can use the Win XP virtual mode although you must enable the "found unidentified hardware" in the USB tab after you connect the gps.
I also have a Garmin 630 and their software loves Win 7 x64 bit. Therefore when I have to replace either unit I can guarantee that I wont be buying another Navman gps especially following their stupid short sighted comments and the dropping of support shortly after I purchased my ICN 530.
Incidentally 99% of all the other software that ran on my Win XP x32 bit runs on my Win 7 x64 bit

Thanks, if you see my later posting you will see I have overcome the problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: