Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One Help (Red X after Home update)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One Help (Red X after Home update)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I'll load Western Europe onto the card and use that then. I think it does sound like the device memory is shot.

No kind of update works when connected to HOME. I get random errors when it tries to write it to the device.

If updates are not working, how do I go about updating things like speed cameras?

Many thanks all for your help sorting this out! Greatly appreciated!

Sam
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can allways consider upgrading to the better Speed Camera database from this site that doesn't need Home to install it, Windows Explorer is all thats needed and it will offer far greater accuracy and true spoken warnings that inform you of the camera type and its rated speed - Better still its cheaper than the TT offering - Mike
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think in light of everything done that will be a good option

Cheers!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could try and work through whats wrong with TomTom Home and try and get it working if you really feel the need to, here are a few steps to try:

1/ Delete TomTom Home from the PC in its entirety, use the Windows Remove software, then do a trawl around the folders that TomTom Home used to make sure they have all gone (Windows Explorer).

2/ Download and install the latest version of TomTom Home from the TomTom web site.

3/ See if it will connect to the device.

4/ If not try a different USB lead and/ or a different USB port on the computer, the USB slots on the rear of the PC are a better bet for getting a device connected without issues, although if you are strugling getting Windows Explorer to see the device correctly there could be a fault with the hardware in the TomTom One XL that is preventing a true connection.

Without Home working on the PC the only things you will struggle with that are of any use are Map updates where you have to purchase a new map and download it via Home, even this might work only the installation to the actual card will fail, it is easily possible to work around this installation issue though. Map Share updates won't work (no great loss though IMHO) everything else can be accomplished without recource to Home - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only speed-read the latest few posts, but from what I see it looks like you are now up and running with everything on an SD card, but you are still worried because Home throws up errors, Yes?

If so, I am in exactly the same situation with my Go720 that has corrupted internal memory.
I run everything happily off an SD card, but when I connect the Go to my PC, Explorer can recognise the SD card in the slot, but Home refuses to accept there is anything connected to it at all.

The solution is simply to pop the SD card out otf the TomTom and put it into a card reader plugged into a USB port on the PC. Home then happily believes it has a normal machine connected and everything works as normal for updates, "operate my Go" etc.

As mentioned above, DON'T bother with Home for your backups though. Use Explorer.
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents, your help and advice had been greatly appreciated! Many thanks

Sam

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: