Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One Help (Red X after Home update)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One Help (Red X after Home update)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: TT One Help (Red X after Home update) Reply with quote

Hello all, I have been handed a problem by my Dad! He decided to update his TT One XL for the first time yesterday via TT Home. It has UK & I loaded on it and an SD card with Western Europe on it.

Since updating it, it no longer works. With the SD card out I get a screen that shows a red circle with a cross on it. When the card is pushed in it shows a card with a cross through it. I've tried the soft reboot option but no luck

I asked my Dad when was the last backup he did and he gave me a blank look! It won't backup via TT Home now either

I have raised a call with TT support but blimey they are slow! I have tried doing a windows copy of the contents but that fails as well.

Has he bricked it?

Many thanks

Sam Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok first things first, can you read the memory card? And when the ONE is connected to the PC without card inserted, can you browse to it and see any contents?
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren, thanks for the reply. The TT does not work with the card in or out.

If I reset the TT I can browse the contents of the TT. If I push the card in I can browse the contents of the card.

Ta

Sam
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice is to take full backups of both card and device.

Then (and only then) with card removed, delete all the 'loose' files from the top level of the TomTom, that is, files not in folders. DO NOT delete any folders or files within them.

Then launch HOME and let it download and install latest update.

So long as map files have not been damaged this should resolve matters. If the map has been damaged then you'll need to buy a new map regardless.
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried manual backups of both the card and the device. I can backup the card using an SD card reader but whenever I try and backup the device it bombs out saying 'cannot copy xxxx:cannot find the specified file' It's a different file each time I try. I have to reset the device to be able to see the contents again.

New maps do you think? UK & I and Western Europe? OUCH if so!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the map is really messed up you certainly don't need both, the Western Europe map contains the exact same road detail as the UK&ROI map file set so you only need that.

As for the back up just try to copy the UK&ROI and Western Europe map folders to the PC, don't bother with the other rubbish as that can be reconstructed for free via downloads, it is vital to have backups of your maps though as these will be impossible to replace for free, can you report back if/ when you ahve the maps copied to the PC and was the transfer without a hitch? - Mike
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, I will give that a go when i get home later and let you know how I got on

Ta

Sam
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I have taken copies of the Western Europe from the SD Card and UK &I from the TT device, what next oh guru! Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope you can follow this:

1/ Make a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer, I know you have the map folders but make another backup this time copying everything from the device to another folder on your PC.

2/ Remove the memory card from the device.

3/ Format the internal Flash memory by connecting the device to the PC and switching it on, using Windows Explorer right click the drive letter associated with the TomTom and select "Format" from the options, accept the warning that its not a good idea, DO NOT select the "Quick Format" checkbox.

4/ Download the Navcore 8,010 application from:
One XL Device

5/ Copy one of your map folders you saved earlier to the device, probably best to try the UK&ROI folder at this stage as its a smaller folder so it will be faster to load to the device.

6/ To install this to your device I use WinRar which you can download from Here Switch the TomTom on and connect it to your PC, if TomTom Home starts up exit the application as Home isn't needed for this.

Double click the file you have downloaded from the TomTom server and winrar will fire up, use the mouse to select all files and folders then click "Extract To"

Please note this picture is from a different device to what you have downloaded but is used for illustration purposes

Locate the drive letter associated with your TomTom and click it, make sure the Overwrite mode is selected to "Ask before overwrite", then press "OK"

When the dialogue box pops up saying "Confirm File Replace" click the "Yes To All" button.

Sit back and watch the progress bar.

Please note this picture is from a different device to yours but is used for illustration purposes

When its finished the update use the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon from the Task Tray and remove the lead from the device.

Let the device boot up and tap the sat strength meter (lower left) followed by the version box, the resultant screen will confirm the version installed is Navcore 8,010 and the UK&ROI map.

If you now want the European map on the device delete the UK&ROI folder using Windows Explorer and copy the Western_Europe map folder from your backup straight to the device.

To get the voices back on the unit copy the "voices" folder from your backup to the device, take it out and try it on the road, if you spot any strange behaviour or its not performing correctly let us know whats wrong and we try again - Mike
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike!! A couple of points/questions if I may before I get stuck in:

I can only do a full backup of the card and not the device, it keeps losing the connection. Are there any individual folders that are good to keep?

What happens about speed camera info?

Once this has all been done, will it be ok to hook it up to HOME to get all the latest updates?

Sorry if these questions sound a bit dim!!

Many thanks

Sam
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just back up the card then, but instead of removing the card leave it in the device and format the SD card using Windows, then follow the above post I made re-loading everything to the card - if you have a card reader you can do this without even messing around with the TomTom and it will be quicker.
Once all the folders and files are back on the SD card insert it to the TT and switch on, check its working OK then you can couple it to Home to request any updates, the speed camera related files will be in the UK&ROI or Western Europe map folder which you have backed up so don't worry about these, they will transfer back to the device at step 5 of the above instructions along with the map data - Mike
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Righto, will give it a go now!
sammullahy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I did it all on the card via the card reader, put it back in the TT and all works fine. I added the voices and the postcode folder. I have put the UK&I on there for now for testing purposes.

All the problems still lie with TT HOME. I still can't backup, I get the following error:

ERROR: DesktopLib/Backup/Scan/Wrapper: Error during scanning for backup/restore items.
@ .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp(90)
-
DesktopLib/Backup/Scan/PathDoesNotExist: Trying to scan a volume that does not exist F:\.
@ .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp(148)

in .\framework\BackupScanThread.cpp:90
Stack:
0. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/commit.js:82
error(textOrException);
1. chrome://tthome/content/ui/bindings/ttwizard.xml:1058
this._commitFailed(i, commitPage);
2. chrome://tthome/content/logic/util.js:79
return func.apply(obj, arguments);
3. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:77
this._errorCallback(e);
4. chrome://tthome/content/logic/dllUtils.js:69
this._errorFatal(error);

Time: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 23:22:59 GMT

It seems that everything I try and do with HOME causes an error such as adding new bits, backing up etc

Even adding a 0.1Mb voice, I get a message saying there is no space available

If the card is out of the TT I get a message saying the drive is not formatted and when I try it says windows cannot complete this action

Any ideas?
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most here (and elsewhere) would suggest to NEVER backup using Home. Rather, use Explorer to do backups/restores. Ensure hidden files/folders are showing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use Windows Explorer for backups, but you will need to use Home for future map updates.
The One XL contains internal storage memory which it sounds like this unit is suffering from corrupt memory, we have seen cases where the memory in a TomTom has simply packed up. The trick is to employ an SD card which is what you have done, if there is a memory card in the One XL when it boots up it will use the memory card, if there is no memory card inserted it will use the internal memory.
If as I suspect the internal memory is shot you need to keep the SD card inserted, connect to Home and see which if any of the functions work - At least its back up and running though! - And its allways possible to perform a manual install/ update of the Navcore software, unless you need to purchase a new map I wouldn't be to concerned that Home isn't working (its doing you a favour by not being available IMHO) - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: