Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom START launched
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom START launched
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article from the Launch and my first impressions of the TomTom Start are here.

(and in the correct topic this time)

(and I apologise for using the term digit when referring to postcodes in my article too)
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being even more pedantic Darren is actually correct, the START does not have 7 digit postcodes. Neither does it have 7 character postcodes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite is a One Horse Race for tandems. Confused

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip, if you look at your posts the blue text is quite legible where they happen to have a white background but blend into the background when it is blue and is almost as hard to read as DennisN's yellow on white, so you have a 50% chance of posting a readable post.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip wrote:
Darren wrote:
You win this weeks pedant award Wink
I'll add it to the trophy cabinet :-)

Philip perhaps you need the “to borrow from John Cleese, the bleeding obvious” trophy as well Rolling Eyes
Kremmen
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected the TT Start to be quite reasonably priced considering it's target audience, but you can get a TT One (with 7 alphanumeric postcode input) for the same price if you shop around.
Viofo A119 V3
Car Average MPG :
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I am NOT a BETA tester

As far as TomTom is concerned, we're ALL beta testers. Rolling Eyes
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that it appears the 7 character postal code is coming back for the UK, if TT decides to implement pois in driving view, they may actually sell a unit or two of this model.
dqj_99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: TomTom Start - POIs not visible in driving mode Reply with quote

I've done some further tests on my TomTom Start (before sending it back!) and it appears that POIs ARE displayed in the "Where Am I" view as well as the Browse Map view. This suggests to me that there is a (yet) unacknowledged bug in the omission of the POI display in the driving view, since the Where Am I view does update as the vehicle moves. Of course you can't use a TomTom Start with a PocketGPS set of Safety Camera POIs for this reason.

The built in warnings for Safety Cameras are also fairly pathetic. There is no display of the camera on the map until you get to within about 400 yards and then you get a couple of bleeps and a small flashing icon on the screen. There is not a great deal of time to react if you are not expecting the alert.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom Start - POIs not visible in driving mode Reply with quote

dqj_99 wrote:
The built in warnings for Safety Cameras are also fairly pathetic.

There is only one sure fire way to avoid a fine and points when you rely upon the TomTom Safety Camera database and thats to leave the car at home and walk - It simply isn't good enough to trust - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Start - POIs not visible in driving mode Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
dqj_99 wrote:
The built in warnings for Safety Cameras are also fairly pathetic.

There is only one sure fire way to avoid a fine and points when you rely upon the TomTom Safety Camera database and thats to leave the car at home and walk - It simply isn't good enough to trust - Mike

Just as an illustration of this, I am updating my XL Live IQ every day via Home as I'm still using the TT cameras on it (masochist, probably). It still has the Swindon fixed cameras on it (somebody remind me when they were de-activated by the Council please - was it April?) and it still has some 40mph Specs average speed cameras on the M4 east of Swindon (how long since those were done away with?). Of course, it doesn't bother me, as I have other devices with pgpsw cameras on, but it has to make you wonder how people can use the TT database when things like that are going on. (Oh, I forgot to mention, they have several mobile cameras here in Keynsham - virtually one man and his dog speed country!! - although they don't have the ONE mobile which does exist here). And I have to agree with dqj_99 about the pathetic warnings - "bleep, bleep" for all of them. They now have 12 (yes, TWELVE) entries in the speed cameras.

Fixed cameras
Mobile cameras
Red light cameras
Toll road cameras
Restricted road cameras
Miscellaneous cameras
Mobile camera hot spots
Average speed cameras
Average speed cameras start/end
Bidirectional cameras
Accident blackspots
Ungated railway crossings

Mobile cameras seem to be possible sites, whereas mobile hot spots seem to be operational cameras "today" (although the only one that's warned me continued to do so for a week afterwards).
By default, they all come default configured with the same "bleep, bleep" warning tone at (I think) 15 seconds in advance of the camera. You can alter the warning tones to "boing boing", "cuckoo, cuckoo", "hoot, hoot" and so on. All it takes is the necessary brainpower to remember which bing, bang, bong or whatever relates to which camera. You'd expect the on screen icon to help out here, but some smartypants at TomTom decided to have beautifully crafted art form icons with so much detail you can't decide what they are at that distance from your head - whip the device off the screen mount and bring it near the end of your nose and some of them may become intelligible, but best not try that on the road! (Mike thinks they look like chinese takeaway signs, but I don't think he's looked close enough - they really are delightful under an electron microscope). You can also alter the time warning to whatever figure of seconds you want. This is the only satisfactory part of the whole business, providing you have an idea of what distance the seconds mean (and if only the warning operates in seconds relating to your speed - 20 seconds at 70mph needs to go off a lot sooner than 20 seconds at 30mph).

Overall, they're a very unreliable non-user-friendly waste of resources, which I'm keeping updated daily for comparison purposes. I shall do away with them just as soon as I can configure my XL Live to display text files.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: