Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lost trail data
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lost trail data

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Lost trail data Reply with quote

After a great day cycling 46 miles around the welsh hills in glorious weather yesterday, I was looking forward to seeing my route. However, after converting trail to track, I find I only have the last 2 miles of my route! How can this be? I reset the log and started logging at the start of the ride, and checked the stats along the way so I know it was recording. Did a stop and start a couple of times at rests. So how come I seem to have lost my trail data? I know for sure I didn't reset it en-route, that takes several moves. I'm disappointed, I need something robust and reliable, increasingly this doesn't seem to be it, and my queries to Satmap go unanswered.
den9112
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this may not help now , but if you press and hold the power key for a couple of secs you will lock the keys , thus avoid knocking any keys and losing any settings, data etc, Is the route one you created via mapping software or a downloaded GPX file, i have done numerous routes and have never had a problem importing a converted route to a track,the overlay as always show my route. Dont ggive up with the unit just yet as you may find that it was something simple you have just done incorect, i have gone from a garmin etrex which are pretty straight forward to a satmap and have found that it as to many settings (which are great when you finally master it). No doubt someone will help you who as had a simaler problem .
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't import routes as a mac user, I was simply road riding, logging the route, and wanted to review what I had done at home, exporting the route into bikehike.co.uk. I've had the unit 3 weeks and know my basic way round it, and I can't see how, other than a software failure, I can lose my logged route. I assume that there is sufficient capacity to log a 6 hour ride?
den9112
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The capacity should be their as i have done a couple of 30/40 mile routes. When you say you did a couple of stop /starts was that the unit you stopped and restarted , or the unit was at a standstill. If your satmap on your route page is showing your mileage then your route should be logged ,which i know you probably know just trying to help,failing that it looks like it could be a software issue. Can you use memory map with your pc, as i have a trial version of memory map you can try if you want.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped and started the unit at our rest stops. I know it had been recording, the data was there. I don't have a pc, I'm a Mac user, so I can't check anything in SatSYNC, not that I should need to in this instance. Likewise I can't use the memorymap but many thanks for the offer.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Lost trail data Reply with quote

axys wrote:
..after converting trail to track, I find I only have the last 2 miles of my route! How can this be? I reset the log and started logging at the start of the ride, and checked the stats along the way so I know it was recording....

Is there anyone you know with a PC? If you haven't deleted the All_Tracks_Raw from memory, it would be interesting to see what this contains. You could also do another 'Convert' but you would have a straight line home added if the unit has managed to do a lock on in the meantime.

I have had the unit do some kind of full reset where everything was lost, but this hasn't happened recently. It's the only thing I can suggest that would match what you are seeing. It may be a one off 'glitch' though as you say, it shouldn't happen.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help, but I've given up with Satmap and returned it to the retailer for a refund. If its supposed to be well sorted I can't imagine how bad the early ones were. I may have persevered with it a little longer but what really did it for me was that I emailed Satmap for help 3 times over 3 weeks and had no response at all. I don't expect to be treated like that and so its time to move on - to Viewranger.
jonesbach
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap seem to have a manpower problem when it comes to answering emails, and it's not that uncommon with many firms. When the service is good you can sort out a problem by email within a few hours, but I think the emails are something that tend to be put to one side when busy.

It's been said before, but it cannot be emphasised enough, when you have a problem use the phone. I have found, and I'm sure most others will concur, the service is exemplary.
axys
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you offer email support, then its reasonable to expect a reply within a few days. If you don't reply, you upset customers and alienate potential customers. If the business can't cope with it, take it down. Not everyone can get to a phone easily during the day and for them email is ideal.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: