Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map update service
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map update service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Map update service Reply with quote

Had an email a few days/weeks? back saying that a new map had been released - only just got round to doing the update and have found that my map update service sub has expired.

Are there any ways to get deals on the price or do I just bite the bullet and stump the £39.80 that they want??

I'm sorely tempted to just keep Mapshare'ing' and dash the updates for a while as money for such 'frivolities' is a bit tight at the moment - what say the collected wisemen/women?!?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wait a while you will find that you have to pay to have the latest map on your device before you can restart the map update service, so there are probably little or no savings if you want the serivce again in the future.

The big question is are there enough changes between maps to make the update service worthwhile? How often are new motorways built?
Pontyslapper
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I was thinking.

I do tend to get a lot of use out of the little fella - what with being a supply teacher and dapping back and forth across Europe (mainly France) on a very regular basis!

I suppose 40 quid isn't really a lot to be sure of being up to date but it is a bit much when you can get a spanking new roadmap for less than a fiver every year.

Progress, eh?!?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are two factors here.

First, financial. Unless I'm mistaken, the map update service was/is cheaper for 12 months of updates than a single map. At the time when I took it on board, my W&CE map was about £90, but the map update service, including that map, was £79.99. So on a purely financial basis, it was a bargain to get the update service.

Secondly, up to date maps. I have four TomTom devices running side by side. Two of them are using W&CE map 675.1409. The other two are using respectively W&CE 835.2419 and UK&ROI 835.2419. In the vast majority of my driving (I'm having a recession, so only 70K miles in 18 months), all four give me the same route, travel time and ETA. When they do disagree with each other, it is usually within a couple of miles and a couple of minutes. There are differences (A30 in Devon and A38/A430 in Gloucester, for example), but even then, following the main drag when the out of date maps are floundering still gets me back on track after a while.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanji
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
There are differences (A30 in Devon ......

Might it be the A30 in Cornwall, Dennis? The Goss Moor bypass was updated about a year ago (just because I moved from Cornwall to Somerset and no longer have to use it Mad ). I am not aware of any Devon changes.

Go 750 LIVE Europe Map 870.3406
Go 720 W Europe Map 865.3245
One XL W Europe. Map 715.1689
Dell Axim & TT3
Psion 5mx & Routeplanner
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno. Indian Queens and so forth, by-passing that low railway bridge? Is that Cornwall? Strewth, it is!! Maybe that's another change? Add "They've re-arranged parts of Devon into Cornwall". Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Map update service. Reply with quote

I keep wondering if the map update service is worth having.
Each time I download an update, the new map never has mapshare info that I have uploaded over the last two years. So I have to constantly update my own map. Also a major new construction of motorway in south Leeds has not been updated properly. the section of flyover and junction with M621 and associated roads is not yet showing on tomtom maps but yet this was the first part of the road building to be completed approx 1 year ago.
I don't think I will be renewing my subscription.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Map update service. Reply with quote

stiggy_sawdust wrote:
Ithe new map never has mapshare info that I have uploaded over the last two years.

...because mapshare (up & downloding) is map version specific!
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this mean that my mapshares will never be on my new maps?
So it is a waste of time and money as I thought.

...because mapshare (up & downloding) is map version specific![/quote]
keithjeffrey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrT wrote:
If you wait a while you will find that you have to pay to have the latest map on your device before you can restart the map update service, so there are probably little or no savings if you want the service again in the future.

My year was up this month and for me to subscribe again is another £ 39.80 too.
Do you have any idea how long it stays at that price before it reverts to full whack ?
stiggy_sawdust
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the next new map is available (every 3 months) price will increase as you have to have an up to date map.
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Just to confuse costing figures a little more, I have received an email from TT today advising me that my Map Update has expired and that I can get the latest updates quarterly for the equivalent of £7.95 per quarter - Just follow the link to renew.
Followed the link with 720 connected and selected the Update Service to be offered the maps at £8.95 per quarter equivalent.
So in the transition from email to TT Home the price has increased by £1 per quarter - Talk about talking Double Dutch!
I wonder what TT Support will say to this one?
Probably that the value of the pound has dropped against the Euro.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
Just to confuse costing figures a little more, I have received an email from TT today advising me that my Map Update has expired and that I can get the latest updates quarterly for the equivalent of £7.95 per quarter - Just follow the link to renew.
Followed the link with 720 connected and selected the Update Service to be offered the maps at £8.95 per quarter equivalent.
So in the transition from email to TT Home the price has increased by £1 per quarter - Talk about talking Double Dutch!
I wonder what TT Support will say to this one?
To be fair the email does state: "Map Update Service is available from the equivalent of just £7.95 per quarter."

The emphasis is mine, and I don't often stick-up for TT. Twisted Evil

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
fishingdobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: Map Update Service - United Kingdom and the Republic of Irel Reply with quote

I just paid £27.80 for the Map Update Service - United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland, I think it was the same as last year, I think its pretty good value

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: