Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - A1(M) MapShare Blocked North of Disforth (A168) Southbound
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

A1(M) MapShare Blocked North of Disforth (A168) Southbound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: A1(M) MapShare Blocked North of Disforth (A168) Southbound Reply with quote

Can anyone with MapShare please check the A1(M) above Dishforth where the A168 joins it? 2 sections where marked on the southbound carridgeway this weekend as blocked Northbound and Southbound. I still went through this section as it was open. I have now corrected it and submitted it back to TT but would like to

a) warn other road users
b) check the section has been corrected since i previously updated on Saturday

This was with MapShare set to Trusted and TomTom verified....
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, blocked on my v835 maps also!!

iPhone 12
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've submitted a correction and emailed TT now...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder which source TomTom used to verify this closure of a major road within the UK, possibly a crystal ball or could it have been the BBC again?? - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I wonder which source TomTom used to verify this closure of a major road within the UK, possibly a crystal ball or could it have been the BBC again?? - Mike

Mystic Meg strikes again.

What I want to know is why TomTom has so far ignored all of the MapShare updates that I've taken time to capture, notate, and submit? I know that I've done them accurately but TomTom doesn't care! Crying or Very sad

OK, well they did do one, but I don't know if that was down to anybody else as I've never had an email from them, even though I have that option ticked in TT Home.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now just remind me please :-

Who was it who said that the moment you enable Mapshare and start downloading them, you start to degrade your map and performance?

And who was it said that TomTom have come a long way since the mistakes with A40 in London, M40 at Warwick, A303 at Mere, et al, and they don't do it any more?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give in. Question too hard. Who was it?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I just remember that I believed one of them and didn't believe the other one.

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested to see what TTs explanation is of that, even as a TT fan myself, I think something has gone awfully wrong in the Mapshare process for a major Motorway to be blocked by Mapshare!

Hopefully, anybody who has this blocked on their TT units can unblock it and sent it back to TT asap!

I`ll send the relevant people a message to see how this has happened!

I believe the co-ordinates of the affected road are from N 54.15336, W 1.43929 up to N 54.17309, W 1.45265!

iPhone 12
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the co-ordinates of the affected road are from N 54.15336, W 1.43929 up to N 54.17309, W 1.45265!

Correct. There are 2 sections that need un-blocking. This section has been temporarily closed over night for moving earth and equipment however it was not closed on the Saturday lunchtime when i was Sunderland bound or on the Sunday morning when i was London bound...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hopefully, anybody who has this blocked on their TT units can unblock it and sent it back to TT asap!

What would be the morality of someone who hasn't been anywhere near it submitting Mapshare "corrections"? I don't submit or verify cameras to pgpsw that I haven't visited. Confused

falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems the road has been closed for roadworks, but I do not think that this is what mapshare was envisaged for! There must have been numerous mapshare reports of the 'road closure' for it to make a correction based on it!

Anyhow Dennis, it has been reported directly to TT now! Smile

iPhone 12
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the good old days, the demonstration of Mapshare on the TT website was of a guy driving along and he came to some roadworks. Stopped like every good road user and tapped the closure into his map and off he went. Rather indicating that mapshare could be used for roadworks. There's also a hint on the submission screens somewhere regarding Permanent, Yes or No. Not being the world's greatest Mapshare contributor, I've never tried a NO submission, so I don't know if it asks if there is any known time limit. I suppose it does. Or maybe it doesn't?

Anyway, when I first found mapshare, it indicated it was also for use with roadworks.

Quote:
Anyhow Dennis, it has been reported directly to TT now!

Y'know, funny old me, I somehow always thought the "corrections" were being reported directly to TT by Mapshare. Shocked If Mapshare "corrections" are not reported directly to TomTom without your input, could you please report directly to them that there is no roundabout at Latitude: 51.45225525044954 Longitude: -2.4184298515319824, there has never (or at least since 1975) been a roundabout there. They haven't received my many, regular Mapshare "corrections" to this over the past couple of years, nor my reports of it to TeleAtlas for a couple of years before that.

I've just re-done a few no right/u turns which I've done many times in the past. How long do you reckon I should give it before I report these direct to you?

MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Quote:

What would be the morality of someone who hasn't been anywhere near it submitting Mapshare "corrections"? I don't submit or verify cameras to pgpsw that I haven't visited. Confused

i don't think there are any moral implications involved here. i trust paulb and so if he says it's not blocked then it's not blocked. we all know that mapshare has a feature of 'reported by many' so the more people who report the error the faster it is likely to be corrected for other users. also, remember that map versions also seem to affect map share so if paul has a different map version to falkirk then it is better for falkirk to submit it too.

verifying cameras, however, is an entirely different kettle of fish. if you verify a camera that you haven't visited then you are giving someone £400 of PGPSW's money (assumption of £20 per year for 20 years database subs) without permission. there is nothing financial involved in reporting map errors.

DennisN wrote:
Y'know, funny old me, I somehow always thought the "corrections" were being reported directly to TT by Mapshare. Shocked If Mapshare "corrections" are not reported directly to TomTom without your input

can we be a bit less personal / sarcastic too please? surely if you had a direct email for someone at a company you would email them before emailing the 'generic' contact method? i know I certainly do.

MaFt
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Not being the world's greatest Mapshare contributor

Who is? Its not me if that's what you are sarcastically inferring!!

Just remind me and the forum of the brand of GPS unit you have just bought?!?! Rolling Eyes

iPhone 12

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: