Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - When will Garmin update their maps?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

When will Garmin update their maps?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see your problem now - pretty unhelpful stuff then Evil or Very Mad
GPSinC3
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Available now on Garmin site, at least mine where ! downloaded and installed OK but aloso got more maps for Eastern Europe etc, so needed to select Western Europe to update what was on my 760T, as no room for others, can't see a way of dowloaded others except by overwriting existing installation and you need to start unpacking the exe file and let bit run again
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have an SD slot, any maps loaded to that will work just fine. SD-card versions are also available directly from Garmin, with the added advantage of ability to move them from device to device as needed, tho the maps are locked to that specific SD card. Not so with maps purchased and then downloaded to SD as those will be locked to that specific device they were purchased for.
NOTLEP
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Map support Reply with quote

I purchased a Garmin Quest GPS just less than 3 years ago. As some of the roads around here have recently changed, I decided to update my maps. After a frustrating weekend trying to get updated maps on the Garmin website, I emailed them and complained. They advised me to ring Garmin in Oz. I was told the following:- (confirmation via email)
"Dear Sir
Thank you for requesting a 2009 Deluxe map update.
Unfortunately, the 2009 Deluxe map updates were de-activated in July 2009 when the 2010 NT map updates were introduced.
Sensis mapping is not producing 2010 Deluxe map updates for the Quest GPS unit.

Kind regards
Andrew
Garmin Australia Product Support
Unit 19, 167 Prospect Highway
Seven Hills NSW 2147
1800 235 822
Fax: 02 8882 6150"

I can therefore throw my nearly $1000 Garmin GPS unit in the trrash bin.!!!
I will be sueing them in the small claims tribunal!

I also complained to Garmin in the US, and got this reply:-
"Hi Peter,
Thank you for contacting Garmin Cartography. Yes, our non-NT maps are being discontinued after this year. Our mapping technology has advanced to the point where support for the product can no longer be accomodated. I apologize for the news.
Thank you again for your interest in Garmin and please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
Regards,
Jason

Garmin International
1200 E. 151st Street
Olathe, KS (USA) 66062
http://www.garmin.com "

I beleive treatment of customers this this is outrageous.
I suggest others who have been told their devices are no longer supported should also take legal action.
gzkbbx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Garmin maps Reply with quote

I think that the problem lies with the fact that Sat navs have come down in price over the last eight years but customer expectations have risen. When I got my first satnav in 2000 the maps were expensive, covered only one country and came out twice a year. Now I can buy a lifetime licence covering most of old and new Europe for my Nuvi fo a one off payment of £100.

The garmin maps do have inaccurancies as did my Renault/GM/Bmw maps. In 1998 my trial mapping unit announced in several language you are leaving the known world just 20 Miles from Slaley hall Golf course. My Garmin has so far not let me down. THe only Garmin problem is you cant alter the UK algorithm to make the M1 take preference over the A1.
l_nolan
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to buy a european map update for my nuvi 765 The latest is 2010.2
can anyone tell me which came out in nov will be updated I can hold off for a few weeks if one is imminent
darrengsaw
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

l_nolan wrote:
I need to buy a european map update for my nuvi 765 The latest is 2010.2
can anyone tell me which came out in nov will be updated I can hold off for a few weeks if one is imminent

I believe 2010.20 came out on the 19th October, as it's a quarterly plan, one should be due any time after next week.

I wouldn't follow this logic too closely however, as the current map update replaced 2010.10 that came out in April, so it was six months in between.

They do say in the small print that the maps are released UP TO 4 times a year, a convenient bit of sharp practice they can't be held accountable for.
cwog
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just installed the European 2010.30 set of maps downloaded them this afternoon
banger9365
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cwog wrote:
I have just installed the European 2010.30 set of maps downloaded them this afternoon

yes theres a new update out
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've updated to the latest EU map, 2010.3, and found that you've lost Lane Assist/Junction View, the likely cause is a mismatched filename. The software is looking for 2010_30.JCV, but the unpacked file is instead named cneuro_2010_30_jcv.JCV. Locate the file in your nuvi in the x:\Garmin|JCV folder and give it the proper filename and the function should be restored. (Advice courtesy of gpsreview.net members) Smile

Based on precedence, Garmin will probably correct the map download within just a couple of days. In the meantime, this advice should work and otherwise no issues have been noted with the map update. Note that Garmin has strengthened their map verification procedures beginning with this update and the latest MapSource, with an additional digital signature embedded. Very few users will ever notice. Thumbs Up
robinb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How can I see what roads (or not) are on this map before buying. ?
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
The software is looking for 2010_30.JCV, but the unpacked file is instead named cneuro_2010_30_jcv.JCV. Locate the file in your nuvi in the x:\Garmin|JCV folder and give it the proper filename and the function should be restored.

This worked for me on a 765T (I don't actually know that I had lost the Lane Assist but changed the file name anyway to match what it looked like on previous map).
I have tried some simulations since and Lane Assist and Junction View both work (there are several around Heathrow airport for people wanting to try it out). It looks as if Junction View now stays visible much longer than the previous quick flash. Also there seem to improved indications with the big white arrows shown on the actual map for upcoming turns.
Several map updates on fairly minor roads of places I happen to use have also appeared. So it looks like a promising upgrade.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: