Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Support, or lack of
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Support, or lack of
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Tomtom Support, or lack of Reply with quote

Chaps,

Does anyone here have an email contact for someone somewhere in TomTom that might actually respond?? Having logged my issue with RDS-TMC on the 3nd Sept, and trying everything on here, and everything TT have suggested I am no nearer getting it fixed.

The last contact from TT was the 7th, and despite two updates from me, nothing from them.

To me its easy:

Its software - In which case fix it, after all they broke it.

Its hardware - In which case fix it, as its in warranty, or was when the fault was logged.

They just don't communicate, and all I want is what I paid for Sad

So I want to try and bypass the useless TT support, and go higher, any suggestions??

Gary
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary, what have you tried so far? what map version have you got installed to the device, is it v835? if its the stupid fault that the tmccodes.dat and traffic.dat files are 0Kb in size this is easy to fix - Mike
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right Mike - You asked for it Very Happy

I have the latest map v835, and the latest app v8.351 I think.

I have replaced the tmccodes and traffic file, although they weren't zero anyway - Didn't work.

I have reinstalled a backup from November last year which was fine at the time - Didn't work

TT Support told me to delete the app from the pc, and the map, and download a new one - Home will then install it - Didn't work

TT support told me - level 2 - to delete the map, the gns folder, and any loose files in root and let home reinstall - Didn't work

Other things I have tried from here - Format. I have completely formatted the 730 - Clear flash dozens of times, and reinstalled from my November backup - Still doesn't work Crying or Very sad

I plug the lead in, and nothing happens, at all. If I select traffic from the menu, I get a message in top right corner - Bluetooth is disabled. But I'm using a wired, jack plug type adaptor.

So I have exhausted everything I can try on here, and from TT, and from elsewhere on the Interweb. I took the machine back Halfrauds, who rang for an RMA code, and they gave me the level 2 tech support piece above. I told them I had completely formatted and started again, more than they were asking, but I may as well have been speaking Martian. He didn't want to listen to me, just repeating, "please try this" and if it doesn't work get back to us. Well I've tried getting back to them twice in the last 8 days, and no response from them at all, I find their attitude disgusting. I am never in from work in time to ring their number, and they don't do Saturdays, so I am stuck with being ignored on the "My Questions" bit.

If you can offer anything else, I'm all ears at the moment. Even if someone else in the Milton Keynes area had one I could try, but no one answered my earlier plea on that one.

I hope all this makes sense.

Gary
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom Support, or lack of Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Does anyone here have an email contact for someone somewhere in TomTom that might actually respond??

You might as well email the cat.
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy another TMC from a retailer that has a reasonable returns policy and return it after seeing if it works mkaing sure you do not damage the packaging etc.
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well coincidentally, this morning, there arrives a response from TT, in the My Questions page. Guess what?

Format the TomTom, delete the downloads directory, and delete the From device directory, and rebuild it. They have ignored my bit about having done this already.

So therefore I might take the advice of Seamaster, and try emailing the cat, see what gives. Otherwise it's MrT's suggestion of finding somewhere that has this older version locally. My local PCWorld doesn't.

Cheers.

Gary
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have done as they asked, and its not fixed anything. In fact its probably worse now. On turning it on, I get a full grey screen, followed by a brighter version, and then a dimmer version, and then the map. So the TT logo has gone, no sad loss there then Smile

See what else TT come up with in the next few weeks.

Gary
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
Otherwise it's MrT's suggestion of finding somewhere that has this older version locally.

Where's locally? I've got one you can try, in West London.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bloater wrote:
So the TT logo has gone, no sad loss there then Smile

You probably just need to replace the missing "splashw.bmp" from one of your backups
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locally is Milton Keynes area. I am going to look in local shops and see how we get on. As for the logo, the machine has just been formatted and installed from nothing. I shouldn't have to replace any files if the installer is any cop. Just realised what I wrote and remembered TomTom Smile

Gary
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The start up and shut down images are not usually included in any Navcore updates, for some reason sometimes the low battery image is included Shocked These screens are not needed for correct operation of the device and in following TomToms instructions you have deleted these files, perhaps TomTom can send you the files by e-mail if you ask for them as its there fault they have gone AWOL

To be honest if you cannot find the files in a backup let us know and I will e-mail some over for you - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloater (and Mike).... Instructions and download links for all the default splash screens can be found on THIS TomTom page now.

Smile
EricWB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to make myself clear before muddying the waters I do think TT shoot themselves in the foot a bit by running a not very good support service but can you name any other manufacturers of of similar products that offer anything similar if anything at all.

The point I am trying to move onto is that all responsibility for faulty or malfunctioning products is the responsibility of those who sold it to you, not those who manufactured it. It is the seller who should take on the responsibility of resolving a problem related to malfunction and we seem to let them off the hook with devices like sat navs. If we continue to let the retailers off the hook in this way they will take all of the profit and none of the responsibility for more and more of everything they sell.

Its taken years for us to move toward the protection that should be offered by the sale of goods act but with hi tech products it seems to be bypassed by the retailers, if we all pursued our problems back through the retailers they would either give up selling these products or offer us the service they are supposed to, and we have paid them for.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true! Halfrauds, for example, are extremely resistant to taking any real responsibility, and are delighted if the customer gets in touch with the manufacturerhim/her self. "We only deal with the hardware, Garmin deal with the software" I got - and a HELL of a job to get the local manager to replace the unit "Er, sorry - Head Office rules don't allow us to do that".

After much loud repetition of the phrases " Sale of Goods Act, merchantable quality, fit for purpose", etc (trying to sound as if I knew what they meant - which I did years ago), the manager relented, "but only this once, as a big favour( Rolling Eyes )". Fortunately I didn't have to have another battle over that, as the replacement was fine.

So if they say the manufacturer looks after such and such, the answer is "fine, YOU send it back and get it sorted, meanwhile what are YOU going to about having sold me a defective unit?
bloater
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree to an extent, however. When my device first went wrong I took it back to Halfrauds to get it sent back, as they are allowed to do under Sale of Goods Act if older than 6 months. He rang TT to get RMA number, and they wanted to speak to me. They said they would send through instructions and if that didn't work, get in touch about returning it. I did, and TT ignored me.

I took it back to Halfrauds again and the girl rang to get an RMA number. Again TT wanted to talk to me, we'll send through some other instructions. Contact us if they don't work. I did, they ignored me.

To be honest, Halfords have tried twice to get the machine back to TT for repair. As above, Sale of Goods indicates if anything is over 6 months old, they are entitled to send it back for repair, they don't have to offer a replacement, its the rules.

Halfords here have been good, doing all they can, unlike TT, who think they can solve this be delaying me until I shut up.

Obviously others mileage may vary, but in my case Halfords have done all they can, and all I could legally expect of them

Gary

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: