Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1st Time Sat Nav Owner Recommendations?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1st Time Sat Nav Owner Recommendations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevie-c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: 1st Time Sat Nav Owner Recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi All

I appreciate that this probably gets posted lots so apologies. I am looking to buy my 1st Sat Nav and wondered what recommendations you's could all give. I go on holiday to Florida so want US maps. I have been looking at the Snooper Strabo S360 but the USA map update seems to be £100 Sad
I am pretty open minded about what Sat Nav to buy but dont want to pay a fortune. I also believe that you can buy the US maps on memory cards for some Sat Navs from the like of ebay.
Any help and info will be gratefully received Very Happy

Many Thanks in advance
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it only for use in the US?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom and Garmin are the two market leaders..... and for good reason.

Although the re may be some bargains to be found, usually the unknown names you find on eBay are limited in one respect or another, usually it's the difficulty in updating or expanding them.

I don't know much about Garmin, so will restrict my suggestions to the TomTom range.

The various models are all sold in the UK as UK only maps, Full Europe maps, or Europe and US maps. On the Go models numbers 5x0 is UK mapping, 7x0 is Europe, 9x0 is Europe and US maps. "x" is currently =4 but the previous ranges where x= 2 or 3 are still available at some very good prices if you look hard.

Depending on what coverage you want, it might be cheaper to buy the Europe/US model, or to buy the UK only model and buy a US map separately.

The current ranges can be a bit confusing, but they break down in to the basic ONE models, the XL models which are similar basic models but with wide-screen display, and the Go models which have many more extras such as mp3 players FM transmitters, Bluetooth etc.

Unfortunately, some of the boundaries between the ranges are getting a bit blurred - for example you can now get an XL with text to speech (so it reads out actual road and town names) which used to be only available on the Go models.

The other thing to consider is whether you want Traffic alerts and info.

Let us know some more things you want or don't want and we can narrow the suggestions down further.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: