Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - M6 / M42 Specs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

M6 / M42 Specs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: M6 / M42 Specs Reply with quote

Is there any chance of a verifier visiting the roadworks at the M6/M42 junction sometime soon? I submitted some camera removals here some time ago. One of them (60136) was submitted over 2 months ago on 20th May. Some of these removals have an impact on the start/end points of the Specs zone. I can still see them all on the map as pREMOVES, so I know they haven't been verified yet.

And before anyone makes accusations, I'm not after Lifetime Membership as I've already got one, thanks, and I don't particularly require anyone to investigate the history of my individual submissions - I know what their status is. I just want an accurate database, and I would have expected fixed cameras on a motorway hub in a busy area of the country to have a visit a bit sooner than this.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite that simple, you know. My own travels in that area have never ever routed me up the M42, then west along M6 (two sides of a triangular route). Bear in mind that as unpaid volunteers, we rarely, if ever, go out verifying, but do them as we travel during the course of our normal business. I'm sure you'll agree that we can't just slip on and off a motorway like most other roads - once you're on, you can't turn off until the next junction, so that can involve some considerable mileage (my van costs over 20p a mile to run).

Last time I was in that area, the moving roadworks were a nightmare to try and keep on top of the specs cameras as they shifted all over the place.

This may be a busy hub, but not necessarily that particular access slip road.

It might also be worth mentioning that (especially removals) not all submissions need a verifier's input - if we had multiple submissions for removal of that camera, I'm pretty sure MaFt would have removed it on that evidence.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dennis; I'm certainly not trying to denigrate the work of the volunteer verifiers, but merely trying to give these submissions a nudge. I suppose I'm equally surprised that there haven't been a large number of removal requests, particularly as one of them (pREMOVE 71566 - not the oldest, but at least a month old) is/was on the main M6 itself.

I realise that if coming from/to the South West you are unlikely to use that particular slip road, but it is a very busy junction (I know - I use it most days!), and should be the preferred route to/from people the M40.

The Specs cameras in this area have been relatively static for some months now, and some of these really do stand out (to me at least Laughing ).
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in the area a few times recently and even made a trip further up the M42 than necessary just to check some of the removals and new ATM cameras. I'm reluctant to repeat soon as the submission had said the roadworks had finished and the cameras removed when the lane was still blocked off and some cameras were still there.

With the changes being made almost every week at present to install gantries, I'm looking where I can when I go down that route. At least one Specs removal I've seen still has a pole and is still in the Specs zone so I'd rather see if they put the camera back before removing.
Brodit ProClip mount
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as an exercise, I've just tried to plan a route looking at all the specs submissions which were on last week's data download, running from M42 Jct 6 up to A42 Measham, back down and along M6 to A452, then back to M42 J6 (bear with me, I'm trying to remember that lot and may have got it a bit wrong) and the trip (without any driving to/from start/end point) is at least 60 miles (60 miles of fuel and an hour and a half of time) - and, incidentally, it would miss your original 60136!! I counted at least 26 new and remove submissions, so you can guess Gerry's got his work cut out. Remember, not all submissions are accurate, so it's not always a case of simply tick the list and in the middle of a batch coming at you thick and fast, a misplaced submission really chucks a spanner in the works. I did a batch (of 17) on the A34 last week and they were coming up so fast, that I simply had to shrug my shoulders and give up on two (when you're doing whitevanmanning, it's just not on to turn round and go back a few miles/quarter hour up a dual carriageway to have another look)!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken. I just wanted to raise the issue, and it's clear that I have done that now. I shall say no more on this..
Frayxius
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Wandering M42/M6 SPECS poles again! Reply with quote

Do these things physically lift themselves out of the ground a la Triffid or what? Yes, someones moved the blumin' 50mph SPECS poles again.

This week, driving down the M42 southbound and onto M6 westbound I noticed a number of inaccuracies of the 50mph SPECS positions on my latests TT "speed zoned complete", maybe due to the on-going roadw*rks ....poor MaFt must be ripping his hair out ...what bit he has left Laughing

Is this perhaps still a "database - work in progress" or does it still need reporting?

Due to the number of changes needed and it being a busy intersection, the safest way I can think of would be to drive down there again with my video camera on the dash and update things in the safe surrounding of the PhilNav mansion (suitably accompanied with a cuppa tea and a bourbon of course!)... unless you can suggest otherwise.

Phil

P.s or can't we just save time and dump a load of MP4 videos in MaFt's mailbox and let him do it? Just kidding, just kidding ...keep ya' hair on! ...(sorry about the 2nd reference to your hair fella).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: