Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom's iPhone App finally breaks cover
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedyrite wrote:
Darren, I'm a prospective buyer of a sat nav app for the iPhone 3GS.
Which apps do you rate as the top three please?

See above.
Seamaster
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hands-on review here:
http://www.techradar.com/news/portable-devices/satnav/hands-on-tomtom-for-iphone-review-627334
Mervalous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Mozmoz1958 wrote:
Out of interest, which are your current top three in order of preference? Smile

1. CoPilot
2. Sygic
3. iGO

Could you possibly give a couple of reasons please, thing is I am close to buying co pliot although Id love a European Map, Ive used Igo in the past and always found it ok, never heard of Sygic till revently.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mervalous wrote:
I am close to buying co pliot although Id love a European Map, Ive used Igo in the past and always found it ok, never heard of Sygic till revently.

According to their Twitter feed, a CoPilot app with European mapping is with Apple for approval, so you might want to wait a little bit...
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mervalous wrote:
Could you possibly give a couple of reasons please, thing is I am close to buying co pliot although Id love a European Map, Ive used Igo in the past and always found it ok, never heard of Sygic till revently.

iGO is OK but it's iGO MyWay which is just too basic for my liking. CoPilot's UI is very polished, very intuitive and looks great. All the relevant info with the display a model of clarity without being either too sparse or too cluttered.

The only gripe was the routing but I'm confident that the custom routing is the key, just need to experiment to find the config that works best for me.

I'll admit I hadn't even noticed there was no WE map option for CoPilot Embarassed
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
I'll admit I hadn't even noticed there was no WE map option for CoPilot Embarassed

Tsk! Laughing

I get the impression it might have been released briefly, then withdrawn. Now with Apple for approval.
Mervalous
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that guys, the Igo I have on my PDA is the latest one so is probably going to be not as good as what Im using anyway, not sure what I-go I am using anyway, will have a look tonight Smile

Ill wait for Copilot Europe, did hear it would be £60 though so that could change my mind again!
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
* Navigate to contacts does not work.

Works fine for me
Quote:
* Mount option just a screen showing 'coming soon'

As the mount isn't available, what did you expect?
Quote:
Good points IQ routes available, GPS fix and lock to roads better than other products.

Fix has been notably poorer than the other apps for me in the brief time I've had it.

You have missed the point, the features that I've highlighted and you've not commented on eg Safety Screen are not new features and are basic functionallity that's been around for many years now so why are they missing? Why is the mount not available, there was no mention of it being late at the Apple Conference.

Other users are having similar issues with contacts, and I've had far better lock & snap to roads using TomTom than the other products.

The product has been released untested, I think you're aware of this fact Laughing , and I'm guessing its as a result of Co-Pilot release which is far cheaper, available before TomTom and appears at the top of the App Store search list.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt CoPilot was the catalyst here, TT have a long history of using us all as Beta testers!

When TT unveiled their app at Keynote they didn't say it'd be two months before it was launched so the delay for the cradle isn't surprising.

Either way, TomTom are hurting here and this is too little and too late.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bedbug wrote:
I get the impression it might have been released briefly, then withdrawn. Now with Apple for approval.

It was listed as available for a short time on the iTunes app store but it got pulled for some strange reason.

I still think Apple need to add the serial port profile to the iPhone to enable us to have the option to use third party receivers rather than being forced to purchase yet more hardware such as a mount with integral receiver.

Any of the applications would benefit from such capability and the poor GPS reception issues are not down to the software vendors, its quite basic, the supplied iPhone (3G 16GB in my case) is a poor performer compared to the Bluetooth receivers available up to three or four years ago! - Mike
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren fully agree, even if we ignore all the things they could have included such as Live Services, & HD Traffic and just look at the basic's this is clearly as you say too little too late and at a very high price. They had the potentional to deliver a killer product and are either protecting their PNA product range or have major restrictions from either Apple or o2 & AT&.T

Any protetional buyer should consider the cost of software & mount and compare this with the PNA deals:

http://www.find-tomtom-deals.co.uk/

It's shame but yet again another example of how poor TomTom are delivering quality products on time.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
iGO is OK but it's iGO MyWay which is just too basic for my liking.

a technicality, i know, but it's actually based on igo amigo which i reviewed here: http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/igo-amigo-review-f5165.php

much less customisation that igo myway

MaFt
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, thanks, Amigo, my mistake Embarassed
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
I still think Apple need to add the serial port profile to the iPhone to enable us to have the option to use third party receivers rather than being forced to purchase yet more hardware such as a mount with integral receiver.

I'd always anticipated the mount as being the most compelling part of the equation - having a (let's assume) decent receiver in there just added icing to the cake. But given such a disappointing introduction of the software, and the likely cost of the combo, I don't think the mount will be enough to save it - for me at least, that is.

According to the TomTom manual, the mount receiver communicates via Bluetooth (I thought we had the accessory connector API to make such cleverness available); has anyone tried enabling a Bluetooth receiver and trying the 'mount' option to see if it can communicate with more than just the mount?

It's all a bit ugly really... You need to use Bluetooth with the mount, no doubt preventing use of bluetooth/fm receivers for the ipod, and so you have to rely on a regular wired connection (despite few in-car audio systems actually accepting such a connection). The mount uses the accessory connector, so there's nothing you can do with that.

All this would be worthwhile if it weren't for the fact that TomTom for iPhone software is such a disappointment!

Let's just hope that TomTom has a 100ma feed into the mount to keep everything happy, otherwise TomTom will need to change their strapline to 'A thousand songs, a million roads, at least until your battery runs dry!'
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope its got a lot more than 100mA otherwise the device will run out of juice very quickly!

As for the mount needing Bluetooth thats more probably for the audio side of things rather than the GPS receiver - the iPhone can support A2DP audio output so they might have used this for the sound to avoid another cable from the audio output socket - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Apple GPS Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: