Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI-Warner and difference in costs SEE IN PLEASE
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI-Warner and difference in costs SEE IN PLEASE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: POI-Warner and difference in costs SEE IN PLEASE Reply with quote

Hi all

OK first of all would like to post a link to the ENGLISH front page for POI-Warner POI software http://www.navigating.de/Home_en/index.htm Should come in handy for the non German speaking of the board Mr. Green Thumbs Up

OK on to my main question/point

Has anyone else noticed that there seems to be a difference in the cost of the POI-Warner software for the TomTom and the Medion PDA software/hardware. On their site the quote €29.9 for the Medion version of the software and only €19.9 for the TomTom version.

Now when you download the bundles the medion bundle seems to be version 2.3 and the TomTom version 2.4, I cant see any other differences in the actual software. In fact I was under the impression that the 2 were identical?

Can anyone enlighten me who has had experience with both of the packages concerned. On the face of it to me it seems that both packages are the same if not identical and there could potentially be a €10 saving for people here??

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

Allan
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allan,

those packages tap directly into TomTom and Navigon software. For that you need a SDK , a Software Development Kit. The kit is extremely expensive (a thousand quid or so) and therefore the POI Warner application is also slightly more expensive.

The UI of the POI warner may look the same, but the DLLs to access TomTom or Navigon kernel APIs are different. So you cannot use the TomTom POIWarner with the Navigon software, and vice versa.

The more people buying the Navigon version the more likely it is that its price will go down. Right now the developer needs to cover the cost of purchase of the SDK.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info there thank you.

I should have really thought about it from that point of view however I have done so much reading into GPS and PDAs over the last week my brain hurts.

Learned soooooooo much from this site and always appreciate everyones help, its been a real learning curve Smile

Cheers

Allan Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect there's other economic factors at play, too - there's the free CheckPOInt for TomTom, as well as the commercial GPSAssist.

I don't believe there's any alternative, free or paid for, to POI Warner for Navigon users.

David
budgie55
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I agree David

Suppose they arent reall that expensive for either really given the functionality you get out of them I mean £20 or so not even 1/4 of a night out now days Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: