Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 730 map problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 730 map problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: GO 730 map problem Reply with quote

I bought a GO 730 with Western Europe maps in July this year and all has been working fine.

I'm going on holiday to California at the start of September. I bought a Western US map from TomTom, which I downloaded to a new 4Gb SDHC using Home (Ver2). I also copied the OS to the SDHC card. Tom Tom allows me to switch maps but I get an error message ' you cannot use this map with device' I bought the Go 730 from Halfords and there is no product code or map code in the box, so I'm reluctant to try the clear flash tool (in case I need to recativate my device or Western Europe maps).

I've emailed TomTom support and I'm bracing myself for the response Crying or Very sad Any ideas why the map won't work? I thought that I could simply use the SDHC card for additional maps.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make a full backup of the device using Windows Explorer (see FAQ page numbers 1 then 14) which you can find by clicking Here - once you have a backup you can use the Clear Flash tool as you can always revert back to what you had before - Mike
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, thanks for the quick response. I took the advice of PGPWS and made an Explorer back up as soon as I bought the Go 730 (and subsequent back ups for each update). I've run the clear flash tool but its made no difference as regards the US map on the SDHC.

I have a feeling that I should have removed the Western Europe maps from the internal memory and downloaded the US map to that location. The US map is probably locked because it has been installed on another 'device'....the SDHC. I'll try replacing the Western Europe maps with the US maps on the internal mmeory to see if that 'unlocks' the map. Otherwise, I'm in the hands of Tom Tom support. Shocked
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a pin reset on the 730 as well.
satchippy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:36 pm    Post subject: Canada and US mapping Reply with quote

Hi
Just a note about canada & US mapping,When you get the mapping on your go you will not be able to see the maps or opperate the Tom Tom as there will be no satelites available untill you get to the otherside of the Atlantic.
Cheers
Satchippy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need the North America map folder on the SD card so get fid of everything else that is on the card, with the application files on the card the device will be trying to use these instead of whats on the device.

Your 730 can share memory locations between the internal Flash store and the SD/ SDHC card, so it doesn't need the application files on the card as well.

I would also try running the Clear Flash file three times as I have seen this mentioned previously, a number of times - Mike
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

Thanks for the replies and suggestions for sorting the problem with the US Map. The main reason for using the map while still in the uK was to set up an itinerary for our trip to California.

I've cleared everything off the SDHC card (except the map) and run the clear flash tool a few times. Still getting the error message. Could i delete the US map and let Home download it again or do I get one chance only for downloading a purchased map?

The main thing is the satnav is working fine on internal memory with the European maps and I'll keep the forum posted on my experiences with Tom Tom support.

GeoffL
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove the map from your device and from the downloads folder Home uses to store things on your computer then it will download a fresh copy of the North American map so its certainly worth a try.
The UK support phone number is 0845 161 0009 - Mike
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, Thanks.........it worked! Smile

I cleared the US map from the device and the download folder and then connected to Home, which downloaded the map again. All seems fine. Now I can start to plan my trip on Tyre (after I make an explorer backup of the US map).

Cheers

GeoffL
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Canada and US mapping Reply with quote

satchippy wrote:
Hi
Just a note about canada & US mapping,When you get the mapping on your go you will not be able to see the maps or opperate the Tom Tom as there will be no satelites available untill you get to the otherside of the Atlantic.
Cheers
Satchippy

Not really true....

You WILL be able to use the map in "Browse map"
You WILL be able to set up itineraries
You WILL be able to operate your Go in every other way
EXCEPT, you obviously won't be able to get a satellite location fix as your location is off the usable map boundaries.

Love the idea that there won't be any satellites available though! Laughing
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought and sure enough, my position was 'off' the US map.

Just to let you all know that I have now used Tyre to plan my trip in the US. Great bit of software and very easy to use. The acid test wil be whether the TomTom behaves itself in the US and follows the route. All will be revealed in two weeks time. Cool
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that with the functionality of IQ routing, your TT may indeed NOT be inclined to follow the Itinerary precisely that you set out using Tyre.

It may take you through the various waypoints but not necessarily using exactly the roads you selected.

The more waypoints (max is 48 per itineary) you put in your itinerary, the less chance for TT's routing algorithm to deviate from the way you want to travel.
Geoff_L
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Thanks for the useful tip. I'll check my waypoints.

Cheers

Geoff

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: