Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm getting really fed up with TT software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm getting really fed up with TT software

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: I'm getting really fed up with TT software Reply with quote

The concepts are great - but the execution isn't....

My latest bug - making a call and after about 30 seconds, the sound disappears - I cannot hear them and they cannot hear me - but the phone is still connected. Only solution is a reset. Do that and it works fine for a few days, then does it again.

It's so obviously some sort of memory leak or buffer overflow - but I can't be bothered to raise a TT call - I know what the answer will be (reload all the s/w, run clean_reset if it still goes wrong, send it back).

I'm so tempted to give up and buy a Garmin. My 550 works great on the bike - I've never had these issues. The 765T looks favourite at the moment.

Just needed a moan - thanks for listening

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered a decent dedicated handsfree kit for the car, probably a cheaper solution than purchasing another GPS device? This was the approach I took when I got the new Ovlov - Mike
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the all-in-1 approach - so that if I am on the phone, an instruction doesn't "butt in". It also means my music cuts out and waits when I get a call.

Also, the Garmin can have the phone play over the car radio (FM or audio lead) so I get a bonus there as well...

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
so that if I am on the phone, an instruction doesn't "butt in". It also means my music cuts out and waits when I get a call.

Also, the Garmin can have the phone play over the car radio (FM or audio lead) so I get a bonus there as well...

Thats exactly what the iO-Play car kit can offer, even lets you have the TomTom sound via the car speakers, music from the stereo OR TomTom via the car speakers and if a phone call comes in that is routed through the car speakers - works a treat - Mike
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. But I am just about (in 2 months) to buy a new car - I don't know how they'd feel about me riipping it apart to fix the IO-Play in the first week of ownership Sad

I guess my choices are limited:

1. Accept the TomTom and live with the shortcomings. Not a good option if the phone cuts off during a conversation. I can live with the music going to the wrong output once in a while - I don't like the flickering every 15 secs if I have RDS.

2. Buy a Garmin 765T and hope that works better. I had one for about a week and it was OK - but I prefer the display of the TT.

3. Hang the expense and get a BMW phone kit added to my order.

4. Get an IO-Play device (if I can find one).

Ahh, choices - who needs them Smile

Alan
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
4. Get an IO-Play device (if I can find one).

Have a look at This page for more details, although fitting one to a new car might be best left to the professionals which will increase the cost further (still be cheaper than purchasing a Garmin) but it won't prevent the backlight issues - Mike
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next issue - I haven't connected to Home for a few days - therefore no reset been done.

Started playing music and it would cut off after a few seconds. Weird. Then, it locked up. So I switched it off and on and it came up in some weird diagnostic screen with very very small writing and things like CPU Voltage etc. Hummmm..

Switched if off and on again and it did a reset (you can tell because the TT hands come up) and then everything all OK again.

So, tell me there isn't a memory leak somewhere - but how to convince TT that this is the case?

But I still like the display and the routing better than Garmin (which is obviously, the main reason for a sat-nav).

Alan
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "weird diagnostic screen" is the basic firmware list thingy. I only see that on my old GO if I startup with the SD card removed.

I think you can see it on newer machines if you press and hold the startup button for a few seconds.
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get the black screen by pressing the reset button and holding down the power on button until it appears, on the newer models where the on/Off switch doubles for a reset switch simply press and hold the on button until the screen appears - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: