Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - European Map Updates for older Tom tom's are not complete
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

European Map Updates for older Tom tom's are not complete
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only clue they give you is in the first line of your screenshot from home - where it says:

Quote:
Detailed map seamlessly covering western Europe - modified to fit devices with 1GB of memory

So that is their 'get-out' clause, and what details they cut out probably still allows them to say "99%".

What I find most annoying is that for units with SD cards, you USED to be able to buy the larger map version, but a year or so ago there were suddenly reports that they had stopped you doing that too (well, you could still buy it (by saying you owned a different machine) but it would then be impossible to activate - "this map cannot be used on your device".

So it isn't the AGE of the unit that is important, it's the amount of memory/storage THEY think you should have...
As usual... no warning was given of the change of policy! Evil or Very Mad
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

So that is their 'get-out' clause, and what details they cut out probably still allows them to say "99%".

99.9% Wink
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To satisfy anyone's curiosity, even with a 2gb card in, the proper map update is neither available for update nor purchase.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trust me.....having the available space will NOT allow for the larger map to be made available. Ask me how I know this Embarassed
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Trust me.....having the available space will NOT allow for the larger map to be made available. Ask me how I know this Embarassed

Please David, Tell me how you know this?
sgould
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom are really getting confused with what's possible. If you use the TT website, rather than TTHome, to buy a new map, you will only be offered the same maps as TTHome.

If you have a smaller GO you will only be offered the Western Europe map (1GB). If you have a larger machine (I have a GO700) you are also offered the Western and Central Europe map (2GB).

I don't know if you can get the bigger map for the bigger card by lying about which machine you have?
Western Europe Map
Eastern Europe Map
Kenwood DNX-4210DAB with Garmin maps
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

egg1000 wrote:
dhn wrote:

Please David, Tell me how you know this?

With a 4-gig card in my 720 (plenty large enough for the full North_america map), I was not able to convince TT to make that map available for me to purchase, even if I wanted to.

The difference between the 2GB version and the full version is not so much the detail of the road mapping but, rather, the fact the size of the poi.dat file for the full map is 3 times the size of that in the compressed 2GB version.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sgould wrote:
I don't know if you can get the bigger map for the bigger card by lying about which machine you have?

You used to be able to do this but now many users have noted that maps refuse to work on devices they were not meant for.

One possible reason is that the smaller devices don't have the RAM or processing power to deal with bigger maps. Storage space is irrelevant.
Brodit ProClip mount
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GerryC wrote:
sgould wrote:

You used to be able to do this but now many users have noted that maps refuse to work on devices they were not meant for.

One possible reason is that the smaller devices don't have the RAM or processing power to deal with bigger maps. Storage space is irrelevant.

Even so, if you're getting a version of the maps that is less detailed (because the earlier machines can't hack it), you should know when you buy it?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree. At least if you're buying the unit new in a shop, you can check the map on the demo unit to see what is there.
Brodit ProClip mount
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I've just done some leg-work!

Using the TomTom (UK) website, I selected every model of Go, One and XL model in turn and checked what maps it offered you.

For simplicity I ONLY looked for "Europe", "Western Europe" and "Western and Central Europe", (I ignored any versions for "Central", "Eastern" or "Southern" Europe) and also ignored the PDA versions and the built-in models.

You may be surprised to find there are no less than ELEVEN different sizes of v830 maps for Europe on offer!

Here they are with TomTom's names for them, the download size, and any extra description (all of their descriptions started with "Detailed map seamlessly covering blah, blah, blah...")

1. Western Europe v8.30 - 877.0 MB
- modified to fit devices with 1GB memory.

2. Western Europe v8.30 - 1610.8 MB

3. Western Europe v8.30 - 1727.7 MB
- with IQ Routes™ data - unsimplified version.

4. Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1233.9 MB
- modified to fit devices with 2GB memory.

5. Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1280.0 MB

6. Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1667.8 MB

7. Western & Central Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1796.2 MB
- with IQ Routes™ data - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory.

8. Western & Central Europe v8.30 - 1931.2 MB
- unsimplified version.

9. Western & Central Europe v8.30 - 2061.3 MB
- with IQ Routes™ data - unsimplified version.

10. Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1738.5 MB
- plus Russia and Turkey - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory.

11. Europe 2GB v8.30 - 1869.7 MB
- plus Russia and Turkey with IQ Routes™ data - modified to fit devices with 2GB memory.

Some (but not all) of the 2GB versions can be explained by there being TTS and non-TTS versions of the map, but there's no equivalent distinction for the 1GB Western Europe - the same map size is used in both TTS and non-TTS machines.

I've done a chart showing which maps are "recommended" for each device and which alternatives are also offered - it's quite bizarre in places!
For example, #6 is ONLY used on the Rider models and the Go 510 / 710

Why there are the mysterious "Europe 2GB" versions (#10 and #11), I've no idea... They are both offered as an option on only one model, and #11 is ONLY offered for the Go 720, not even for the Go 730 which has identical hardware!

I'll post it up if anyone's interested.
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some research!

For what it's worth the guy at tomtom didn't know that the maps missed roads off either, or appreciate the difference, it was news to him too.

I guess it's pot luck which roads you get and in which country!

And if the roads you want/need aren't on the version you buy...... tough?

Perhaps this should be made a sticky to warn others?
DaveTTheDon
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me gently Reply with quote

Dear egg1000
At least you've got some extra bits from mine.
All I've got is the MA105 and the N340/E15. Not even the town shown. Let alone the little stubs of roads.

Does this mean its a total waste of time upgrading from the original map set that was delivered with the TT (i've got the 510 go, GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE v650.1110). I'm going to france this W/E and was going to upgrade to the latest version. Is this a waste of money then?
ATB
DaveT
I was going to add some screen shots, but It won't work on this forum for some reason?[/code]
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was going to add some screen shots, but It won't work on this forum for some reason?

Post the photos to ImageShack or simalar and then insert the links to the photos using [img] tags. Don't use any of the cleverly formatted links just find the direct link to the picture and use that.
egg1000
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: You think you're hard done by?.....1st timer treat me ge Reply with quote

DaveTTheDon wrote:
Dear egg1000
At least you've got some extra bits from mine.
All I've got is the MA105 and the N340/E15. Not even the town shown. Let alone the little stubs of roads.

Does this mean its a total waste of time upgrading from the original map set that was delivered with the TT (i've got the 510 go, GB_plus_major_roads_of_WE v650.1110). I'm going to france this W/E and was going to upgrade to the latest version. Is this a waste of money then?
ATB
DaveT
I was going to add some screen shots, but It won't work on this forum for some reason?[/code]

Hi Dave,

If you only have the major roads of Europe maps I would expect you only to have the main motorway. Whether its worth upgrading or not I really can't advise. I made the mistake of assuming that Tom tom would be providing me with maps that would be at the same level or better than both Google and Multimap. Both of which are obviously free. I was wrong as you can see from the screenshots.

From my (probably biased) experience it would appear to be a gamble upgrading to the European maps, not an informed choice as I believe it should be. Whether the roads you want will be on your map upgrades, I have no idea and I don't believe there is a way to check?

Personally however, I wouldn't buy the map upgrades, but I think its clear from the thread I will most likely never purchase anything Tomtom again.

PS. I use photobucket for images, it gives you the [IMG] code in full.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: