Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - [v8-WinMob] ALK Release CoPilot v8
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

[v8-WinMob] ALK Release CoPilot v8
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: [v8-WinMob] ALK Release CoPilot v8 Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comFollowing on from the success of CoPilot Live on the Android platform, and the phenomenal success of CoPilot for iPhone ALK have today launched the Windows Mobile version of CoPilot V8. As with it's predecessors it features voice guided turn by turn navigation with a clear clutter-free display and easy to use interface.

One of CoPilot's strengths is that it is able to leverage the underlying core operating system components and has access to the address book both for destination and sending location information.

Priced from £25.99 (UK) or £59.99 (Europe) the application is available to download now from www.copilotlive.com or directly on your Android Device from the Android Market.

The full CoPilot 8 press release follows:

CoPilot® Live™ v8 satellite navigation for smartphones is launched

Latest version of award-winning CoPilot Live software redefines smartphone satellite navigation with sophisticated guidance technology, 3D maps and useful Live services

London, UK, 11th August 2009 – ALK Technologies Ltd, a global leader in mobile navigation software, today launched CoPilot® Live™ v8 GPS navigation for smartphones. Packed with cutting-edge new features, it’s the most powerful CoPilot yet, making turn-by-turn voice-guided satellite navigation technology more accessible, portable and affordable for owners of Windows Mobile and Android-based phones. It is also available in UK for iPhone 3G and 3Gs users.

CoPilot® Live™ v8 takes full advantage of today’s GPS-enabled touch screen phones to deliver the same level of performance as a standalone navigation system. With intuitive and fluid menus, advanced guidance features and an array of useful Live information services, it makes finding the way easier on every journey, whether in-car or on-foot.

Key features in CoPilot Live v8 include:
·         Clearer guidance at complex junctions with Lane Indicator display,  sign post information and realistic CoPilot ClearTurn™ display of motorway and major road intersections
·         Enhanced guidance. v8’s Turn-after-Turn display shows your next turn and the one after, while variable map zoom automatically adjusts the map display depending on your speed. CoPilot can also provide continuous guidance when you lose a GPS signal in a tunnel
·        Speed limit indicator provides adjustable on-screen and audible warnings if you accidentally exceed the limit
·         3D landmarks*.  Available as an option, CoPilot customers can get their bearings more easily in major cities with photorealistic 3D images of the main landmarks displayed on-screen
·         The latest voice technology. CoPilot Live v8 includes improved pre-recorded voices, providing clear spoken directions at each turn. Optionally available, Text to Speech voice guidance pronounces full street names and CoPilot CommandTM voice recognition allow hands-free operation of the main controls hands-free*
·         Full-featured walking mode turn-by-turn directions to find the way around a town or city on foot, with pedestrian-specific routing, on-screen compass and directions along footpaths
·         Phone integration allows direct dialling to POIs, location sending via text and photo navigation
·         Safety camera alerts with free database updates
·         Easy to use. v8’s redesigned menus and simple user interface provide 100% finger touch operation, flickable lists and fluid sliding maps. There’s no need for a stylus

As with previous versions of CoPilot Live, v8 provides useful ‘Live’ services designed to make journeys more predictable. Delivered via a phone’s mobile Internet connection, the range of services available has now been extended to include:
• Live Local Search Integrated access to location-specific Internet search to quickly find nearby products and services, for example a nearby coffee shop, business or a restaurant
• Live Traffic information*. High quality, constantly updated traffic information about your route with automatic warnings and re-routing
• Live Weather.  Check the conditions on your route, at your destination or in your current location
• Live Fuel Prices*.  CoPilot Live v8 can instantly guide you to the closest - or the cheapest - petrol station near your current location
• CoPilot® LiveLink™ location sharing allows you to view the location of your CoPilot friends on-screen or online and share your location with them

CoPilot Live v8 includes the most accurate maps and Points of Interest available from the world’s leading map suppliers. Maps are stored locally on the phone, not downloaded each trip, removing reliance on mobile internet connectivity for navigation.

A new service in v8 - CoPilot OnDemand™- enables customers to buy extra maps online and download them directly to their phones via mobile internet or WiFi.

Michael Kornhauser, Vice President and Managing Director of ALK Technologies’ CoPilot Division said “CoPilot Live v8 provides an unrivalled satellite navigation experience for smartphone users. With CoPilot’s sophisticated navigation features, useful Live services and affordable pricing, the gap between smartphone navigation and dedicated systems has now been firmly closed. ”

CoPilot Live v8 is compatible with Windows Mobile and Android-based smartphones, as well as iPhone 3G and 3Gs. It is available immediately for purchase and download from just £25.99 for unlimited use from copilotlive.com and the Android Market. UK customers can purchase CoPilot Live v8 from the iPhone App Store, with support for additional countries coming soon.

CoPilot Live v8 will also shortly be available to purchase on SD card or DVD installer from leading online retailers.

*Premium features, including Live Traffic, Fuel Prices, 3D Landmarks, Text to Speech and CoPilot Command will be available to purchase as upgrades through CoPilot Live Central 2.0 desktop software or CoPilot e-store.

Last edited by MikeB on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALK have provided us with some screenshots of CoPilot Live v8:

G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thing... I liked the maps on the v7 trial, I liked the TTS as well.

I detested the manner it handled custom Safety Camera databases (such as the PGPSW one here, Laughing Out Loud) - resulting in multiple announcements of the same damn camera - sometimes as much as seven times for one local camera to me in almost as many seconds - and I didn't like that you cannot use custom POI databases with your own icons either.

Have they addressed ANY of that in v8? If they've addressed, at the minimum, the safety camera issue, I'll be buying, if not, I won't be!

(and yeah, while I think about it, I *have* been on their new webby to see if they mention the above, and big surprise, no mention Evil or Very Mad)
fabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the trial as well with my Touch Diamond2 and glad i held off for the new version.

For what you're wanting you can completely omit the CoPilot safety cam database and import the pocketgps files via CoPilot Central, this also gives the option to import the correct images as well for the cameras (rather than the pin symbol) this is what i've done but not gone on any long journeys yet as i only bought it yesterday Wink
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, how does that work - is it simple, convoluted, or somewhere in-between, and does the User Manual detail the process?
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so I was thoroughly annoyed with CPL7, the random crashes, the constant errors, etc. I tried TomTom7 - wasn't much better than CPL7 in my opinion (in fact I think in certain areas it was worse although the big plus was that it didn't crash randomly and repeatedly). So I'm trying CPL8 in desperation.

I haven't had time to play with it in much details but so far it's been somewhere in the middle:
The CoPilot 2 desktop app works fine on Server 2008 R2 x64 without messing about - a significant change from the previous dire cpl desktop app.
To import POIs, image files need to be in PNG format (ok in itself except all the POIs I have are BMPs so a little bit of work required).
The POIs files need to be added one by one through the desktop app so that's painful if you have a lot of them
When uploading POI (OV2 seem to be ok incidentally even if you have to manually select the OV2 type in the CPL app for every POI file) they seem to be copied to pocket pc device into copilot/save folder. I haven't tried updating a POI file yet (not that courageous!).
I've added a few (speed cams) and they don't show up as installed on my device in the CPL desktop app, although they are there on the device.

On the other hand, if anyone can tell me how to get CPL8 to accept the product code for my traffic subscription, I'd be grateful. I've been to the licensing tab and inserted the product key, etc. but CPL8 won't accept it. I've logged a call with ALK and I'm eagerly awaiting the answer...

Can't see any premium services to purchase in the CPL store either.
Drift
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK maybe a simple question but how do you get CPv8 to show a QWERTY keyboard?

Gone for simples and now have TomTom One V3 1gig
Memory Map V5 on laptop and GPS.
I couldnt get on with Copilot V8
G1LIW
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, thanks, homecamp - sounds like they're slowly getting there, but it's not the seamless integration that they were hinting at a year back just yet. Think I'll hold off on ALK again.
samsul
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecamp wrote:

On the other hand, if anyone can tell me how to get CPL8 to accept the product code for my traffic subscription, I'd be grateful. I've been to the licensing tab and inserted the product key, etc. but CPL8 won't accept it. I've logged a call with ALK and I'm eagerly awaiting the answer...

Just spoke to ALK Support, you can't use CPL7 Traffic subscription with CPL8, need to wait for Traffic to be available on CoPilot Central, then purchase - not very happy.
hotphil
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had issues with the activation code on 8. Got that sorted manually. Then had problems with CoPilot Central not showing the maps I'd bought. Flipped the currency to GBP, restarted and it recognised my UK & Ireland map licence. Even let me download it.
My remaining problem before I get them to refund me is getting the maps onto my WinMo device. There's no option to download the maps to the storage card and they're too big for the onboard RAM. The app installed to the storage card, but there's no way to get the maps on there (option greyed out in Central as there's no space and downloading on device just errors). Any ideas?
fabbers
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't install to the device via central rather using the url http://www.alk.eu.com/buynow/eu_download.asp to manually download the app and map.
GeoBiker
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drift wrote:

Confirmed: It is no longer available..! I HATE not having that option! What the *#&@! were they thinking!
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoBiker wrote:
Drift wrote:

Confirmed: It is no longer available..! I HATE not having that option! What the *#&@! were they thinking!

you are kidding, right? Surely they can't have lost the qwerty layout? It's there in 7, where is the problem in keeping it in 8? This isn't a minor detail this is every time you use the app.
Please, tell me it isn't so!

(is this what they mean by:
"IMPROVED! Redesigned user interface...")
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find the querty keyboard anywhere either... it's gone. What were they smoking/eating/drinking when they thought of that????

I played with it a bit more on my way up to Derby and back from Wiltshire today. It didn't crash, that's a start. In fact it would almost have been ok if the route recalculation progress bar at the bottom of the screen didn't freezee regularly. CPL is still showing the right route, etc. but I lost the bottom line of the display (time of arrival, etc.) and it stopped displaying certain functions (such as the lanes display at motorway exits). I've had mixed success trying to unfreeze it, eventually restarting CPL everytime it happened.

So verdict so far is that it's not as buggy as the pre-alpha CPL7 we had to endure, but I don't think it's 100% ready yet.
homecamp
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samsul wrote:
homecamp wrote:

Just spoke to ALK Support, you can't use CPL7 Traffic subscription with CPL8, need to wait for Traffic to be available on CoPilot Central, then purchase - not very happy.

Funny how none of the marketing or release information mentioned that the traffic subs wouldn't work (I still have a year on my 2 year subs to run...) or that the service is simply not available yet.

The only consolation is that with the school holidays, traffic is lighter at the moment but CPL7 (complete with all the bugs) is likely to make a comeback if they don't fix it quickly (and give me a year's free CPL8 traffic).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: