Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 screen freeze
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 screen freeze
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scott
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: TT3 screen freeze Reply with quote

I'm having repeated problems with screen freezes in TT3.

It always occurs after either the PPC or the GPS (wired) has been temporarily switched off. TT2 was utterly reliable in this respect. You could disconnect the GPS, switch off the PPC, etc in any order and it would just pick up where it left off the next time you turned on.

In contrast, TT3 just freezes on whatever screen happened to be showing last. The program still appears to be running in some limited fashion - you can touch the screen and bring up the navigator menu for instance but there's no guidance and the top-level screen never gets updated. It seems to be a similar problem to the one some bluetooth users have experienced but my GPS is wired (Holux).

I'm running PPC2002 on an iPAQ 3970. Is it worth trying an earlier GPS driver (2.07)?

Thanks.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.07 is definitely a good idea if you don't run BT. But it may not help solve the issue - the only way to find out is to try and then report back here ;-)

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
node
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Scott, any luck with this? My car's power plug is a bit loose so it's a right pain when the connection fails. I usually have to pull over and faff for 5 minutes with replugging and soft reseting to get it working again. Not how it should be, clearly.
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can suggest is to exit the application if there is a danger your PDA it is going to go into stand by mode.

Brett
node
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bl wrote:
The only thing I can suggest is to exit the application if there is a danger your PDA it is going to go into stand by mode.

Brett

Standby mode isn't the problem. If the GPS loses power or signal, TomTom throws a fit and freezes up. This often necessitates a good few minutes of trying to get a signal again, reconnecting the power a few times, soft reset... in other words, a right pain, especially if it's the case that 2.0 dealt with such issues elegantly.
chris24
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: TT3 lock-ups Reply with quote

Hi Guys - new user reporting!

I purchased TT2, a dell Axim X3 and Haicom 420S last January. It has all worked perfectly until I upgraded to TT3.

After approx 45 minutes, the screen locks and I can only get things going again by resetting the Axim.

Putting TT2 back on the Axim solves the issue but then I have none of the TT3 features. (Searching Google for some answers uncovered this forum!)

Chris
Chocki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I'm a new user to these forums but have been reading them for a while now.
I too am experiencing the freezing screen issue with limited operation of the PDA with TT3, never had these problems with TT2.
Running TT3 v3.02 Bluetooth(TomTom), on a Toshiba E750 with Pocket PC 2003. This was a completely fresh install on my PDA as I carried out a hard reset on it prior to installing TT3.

I too had switched the PDA off prior to this problem occuring and had to carry out a soft reset to get things back under control.
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i too have this if you leave tt3 runnig and turn off the pda when you turn it back on it locks up and this happens when you use the X button (top right) aswell my fix is to exit tt3 by the tab (buttom left) then it works

NoW useing tt2 im goin to give it to 3.03 if not right then im goin to get my money back !!

TOMTOM GIVE ALL OF US THE MONEY BACK FOR DOIN THE BETA TEST FOR YOU OF THIS GEAP UPGRADE UPGRADE 8O !!! DOWNGRADE Crying or Very sad
Courierman
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courierman wrote:
i too have this if you leave tt3 runnig and turn off the pda when you turn it back on it locks up and this happens when you use the X button (top right) aswell my fix is to exit tt3 by the tab (buttom left) then it works

NoW useing tt2 im goin to give it to 3.03 if not right then im goin to get my money back !!

TOMTOM GIVE ALL OF US THE MONEY BACK FOR DOIN THE BETA TEST FOR YOU OF THIS GRAP UPGRADE UPGRADE 8O !!! DOWNGRADE Crying or Very sad

WHY THIS THERE NO EDIT OF YOU POSTS
Chocki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried removing the 3.02 Bluetooth GPS drivers and replacing them with the 2.07 version and can confirm that a: The drivers work, but b: The freezing still occurs.

For now, I would recommend always exiting the application before shutting the PDA off, hopefully TT are aware of this problem and will be fixing it.
Morris
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried exiting TomTom3 before turning the pda off. but still get the odd occasion where the screen freezes on restarting the appilcation.

Morris

Grzzzzzz Mr. Green
spile
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I still suffer exactly the same problem after I upgraded my ROM to 2003 from 2002.

Using my (non Bluetooth) IPAQ the symtops are:

Use Navigator mode fine.
Reach destination
Turn off PPC. remove from Car

Enter car and plug in.
Navigator screen appears fine.
Touch screen - mode changes to "Navigate options"
Touch - Navigate to - THE OPTION IS SELECTED (shaded red) BUT IS NOW "STUCK".

Touch screen again and Navigation mode appears to be OK but it isn't - Destination unreliable.

Only way out is to enter Navi mode and Exit application.

Re-load and all is ok again.
Parky
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had this problem before and discussed in the following link:-
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8822&highlight=&sid=ca523100a5316d6485d06f64c139bae5

To me it seems that it is a TT Program issue rather that a GPS issue.

If you exit TT before turning off the PDA it solves the problem.

Alan
Emperordalek
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been having the same freezes with my e350 and TT3 and I'm not sure whether to blame to the pda or the gps.

It seems to freeze at random when I'm on the road and only a soft reset will fix the problem.

I'm going back to TT2 for the moment as I can't be doing with stopping every 10 miles to reset.

Get it fixed Tomtom!
Chocki
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all again, I have been trying various things to remedy this problem and am still testing the best working solution.

Now no guarantees yet, but my screen has not re-frozen yet (half a days testing).

I am running PPC 2003 and have installed the following Microsoft service pack.

Microsoft .NET Compact Framework 1.0 SP2.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=359EA6DA-FC5D-41CC-AC04-7BB50A134556&displaylang=en

Your PDA will ask wether you want to overwrite some files, I just clicked on Yes to all.

Anyone who is wary of running such things, and you always should be, then backup your PDA through Activesync before installing the service pack.

Please feed back how you all get on.

Chocki.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: