Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigon 2310T - any good?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigon 2310T - any good?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Navigon 2310T - any good? Reply with quote

I've always been a TomTom user and have been contemplating the Go550 Live. Halfords have what seems like an exceptional deal on the Navigon 2310T which gives me the all important live traffic.

However, reviews on the Halfords site seem mixed, with a major complaint being the time taken to lock onto a satellite.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and would you recommend it?
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Navigon 2310T - any good? Reply with quote

ForbiddenFruit wrote:

However, reviews on the Halfords site seem mixed, with a major complaint being the time taken to lock onto a satellite.

Does anyone have any experience of this model and would you recommend it?

All the Navigons use a (relatively) slow chip. This isn't a problem unless you need to jump in your car and go that minute with guidance from the start. What I do is switch on a few minutes before I leave (in the house if at home) - it is quicker if you power up where you powered down (getting a fix before you drive away).

Halfords are doing deals on a number of Navigon GPSs at the moment. Go into Halfords and have a close look at a number of units (check all the box stickers for additional facilities). I have just bought a 4310max which is a 4.5 in unit with similar goodies to the 2310T @ £140.
ForbiddenFruit
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Smile

I do huge mileage and I suppose I'm just a bit worried that the slow lock on is really going to annoy me. Some of the reviews said that it even lost lock halfway through a journey and took ages to come back Shocked

How do you find the live traffic on these units? I understand they use TMC which is another concern as I've had no luck with TMC via an antenna on my TT (Landrover with a heated screen - hence the upgrade). Reliable live traffic is a real must!
C1man
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ForbiddenFruit wrote:
I do huge mileage and I suppose I'm just a bit worried that the slow lock on is really going to annoy me. Some of the reviews said that it even lost lock halfway through a journey and took ages to come back Shocked

How do you find the live traffic on these units? I understand they use TMC which is another concern as I've had no luck with TMC via an antenna on my TT (Landrover with a heated screen - hence the upgrade). Reliable live traffic is a real must!

The only time the slow lock is a problem is when leaving an unfamiliar place - you have to remember to sit tight for a minute or two until it re-locks before moving off. If you call in at many different places during the day then this could be a problem - if mainly trips from work/home and back then it should be OK. Having had various Navigon units for 5 years I just work round it! Laughing
I have never had it lose lock although high buildings and thick trees pose intermittent tracking problems - but I guess this is common to all GPSs.
The TMC antenna in integrated into the car power lead and you can watch the unit scanning and loading traffic messages when you turn on. Since I only got the 4310maxplus over Christmas I haven't used TMC much (my previous Navigon didn't have TMC activated) but it looks OK and it also has spoken TMC warnings which is a plus.
I have a motorhome with an overcab (luton) but this hasn't caused a problem receiving GPS signals - haven't been away with the new TMC unit yet but don't expect a problem. Don't know how GPS/TMC friendly your heated screen will be though. Confused
Halfords won't give you a trial period on GPSs but are quite happy to demo kit and/or fit it for you. If you say you have had problems with your windscreen I am sure they will let you try it out in your vehicle at the shop to check both GPS and TMC work OK in situ before you actually part with the cash! Smile

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: