Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Driver issued Redlight Ticket making way for 999 van
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Driver issued Redlight Ticket making way for 999 van
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: It annoys me when I see this sort of tripe. Reply with quote

[quote="GerryC"]So this doesn't come under that catch-all rule about breaking road law that it's OK if you do it under the instruction of a Police Officer?

Of course, if you stay still, you'll get done for obstructing a officer from doing his duty etc. Twisted Evil[/quote]

Utter rubbish. I know you have a smiley, but some people here will try and use this as a defence.

I suggest you re-read the highway code, that tells you the proper behaviour at traffic lights, and with regard to emergency service vehicles.
suziedog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice regarding this issue would be to let the matter go before the magistrates court and ensure that plenty of local press and wider media are aware and present in the courtroom.

This like so many other incidents is about common sense or rather the lack of it being applied instead of the hounding of motorists to make the government richer.

Does get me wrong I am all in favor of road safety as a retired Police officer. The trouble is the whole system of traffic management and in particular speed enforcement is corrupt and morally wrong.

In Staffordshire where I live you can witness mobile speed camera vans operating every day - no not near schools or busy built up areas where they should be, the place you will find them is on country roads usually tucked away on grass verges on down gradients where they are likely to get a hat full of unsuspecting motorists to help top up the money making racket that they call road safety. Shame on them!

Sorry to go slightly off topic but it all smacks of the same old attitude of stuff the motorist.
stuartb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Highway Code 2007 rule 219: "...take approprirate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs...Do not endanger yourself , other road users..."

How would you all be reacting if by entering the junction the driver was then in collision with a vehicle on the crossing road? The rules are clear and thought out for a reason. That said, I fully agree that discreton should be used and the driver certainly shouldn't receive points or a fine.

The advertising campaign about emergency vehicles referred to earlier was actually carefully worded and IIRC said something like "don't panic and let us do the hard work".

I agree with sentiments regarding speed cameras, but surely red-light cameras are not in the same category? Speeding is not inherently unsafe (inappropriate speed is). Jumping a red is always dangerous.
Allan_whoops
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Emergency Workers (Obstruction) Act 2006 covers this in that it is an offence to hinder or obstruct an emergency vehicle with a maximum fine of £5,000. However it is a grey area.

PS The police and local authority do not get the revenue. Which is why Swindon are dumping their Gatsos and hopefully the rest.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartb wrote:
Speeding is not inherently unsafe (inappropriate speed is). Jumping a red is always dangerous.

It might be marginally safer than a straightforward red light jump Confused because other drivers will surely be aware of the emergency vehicle's twos and blues Very Happy
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that I have read or heard somewhere, possibly so long ago that it's no longer true, that it is illegal for police and other emergency vehicles to pass traffic lights set at red. They do so at their discretion because it is in the public interest and, consequently, we "forgive" them.

So, if my memory does serve me well and if it is illegal for them, it's sure going to be illegal for us.

Perhaps emergency personnel should be advised to switch off the Blues and Two's when it is obvious that a member of the public is in danger of unwittingly committing a crime, such as mounting a kerb or passing red lights, when all we really want to do is assist by getting out of their way PDQ.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
simber71
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When driving in Surrey a few years back, I was in a similar situation and didn't move because I would go into a controlled junction and one of the police cars chasing this other driver stopped and instructed me to pull over on the left when the lights changed to green.

I was issued with a producer for not having my car documents on me and was informed that I was being reported for obstructing police in the line of duty by not clearing the way on the country lane junction.

I reported the incident to my local police station when I got home along with the producer and my documents and only after several phone calls and getting a different division involved, were the charges dropped.

There needs to be a clear guide for motorists and no recourse for clearing such junctions in these circumstances. I suffered through stress with it all and to this day dread being put in that situation again.
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Emergency Workers (Obstruction) Act 2006 covers this in that it is an offence to hinder or obstruct an emergency vehicle with a maximum fine of £5,000. However it is a grey area.

I believe this would cover things like hogging the centre of a narrow road leaving no room for them to overtake, parking across a narrow road or entrance or exit to the emergency services or maybe not moving off at a green light when it is safe to do so.

I always give way to emergency vehicles but wouldn't break the law to do so, If the lights are red I stay there until they turn green, and I won't mount kerbs to get out of their way.

People may disagree but I have, quite recently, stopped at a temporary road works set of lights, on green, when I noticed an ambulance coming the other way and 'flashed' him through, the driver acknowledged what I had done. OK, 'flashing' only means 'I'm here' but he knew what I meant.
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:
You have all lost the point.
It's another £60.00 that they have made. Profit overrides common sense every time!

The Authorities seem to have the view - the best way to judge whether they are being effective is by the number of "criminals" they catch, so the person issuing the ticket is likely to have their work judged on the number of tickets issued - not issuing enough tickets is liable to a black mark at least.

No one seems to question whether such a measure is effective and if people will find ways of increasing their performance and thus their livelihood in ways that are counter to the original objective

I don't know whether the people at the top believe this is a revenue raising exercise - but there definitely people building empires out of speed cameras - and thus it has become a revenue exercise to keep and build those empires
irishkiwi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its really simple - if you are ever caught in that position. Don't move your car over the line- if the cops etc. gesture at you to move - or an ambulance or fire engine, get out of your car and point at the red light camera.
Really easy.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A blues and twos at your nether region should be considered an instruction to iether stop or go in the same way that a police vehicle will sit on your tail for a moving offence with blues and twos wailing, if you do not stop then you will be done for failing to stop,
bigfatjohn
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I jump red lights all the time.

I have to, otherwise I could be sitting there all night because my bike, big though it is, is mostly aluminium and plastic and sometimes doesn't trigger the induction loops in the road.

I usually give it five minutes then, if no other traffic is about, move off carefully.
wetsleet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuartb wrote:
Highway Code 2007 rule 219: "...take approprirate action to let it pass, while complying with all traffic signs...Do not endanger yourself , other road users..."

How would you all be reacting if by entering the junction the driver was then in collision with a vehicle on the crossing road? The rules are clear and thought out for a reason. That said, I fully agree that discreton should be used and the driver certainly shouldn't receive points or a fine.

The advertising campaign about emergency vehicles referred to earlier was actually carefully worded and IIRC said something like "don't panic and let us do the hard work".

I agree with sentiments regarding speed cameras, but surely red-light cameras are not in the same category? Speeding is not inherently unsafe (inappropriate speed is). Jumping a red is always dangerous.

In the photograph "you can clearly see the Police Van passing him in the junction."

So we can conclude that in the judgment of a trained professional police officer it WAS safe to cross the red light.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What chances of appeal would he have if the police van was not also in the photo?

What would happen if he went through the red light to let the police van pass, but by the time the van got to the lights they had changed to green, there would be no evidence to support his claim.

Like this driver, I would have probably gone through the red light to let the police pass and I probably still would if it happened to me tomorrow. But it does open up a dilema. I await the result of his appeal with interest.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
Paul0161
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next time that they are at a red light and an emergency vehicle is behind them, sirens blazing, someone who has read this story, may sit there until the light goes green to avoid prosecution. This could cost lives. Because a clerk in the ticket office was unable to use his or her common sense..!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: