Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Illogical navigation instructions and outdated maps
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Illogical navigation instructions and outdated maps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aisenby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Illogical navigation instructions and outdated maps Reply with quote

I have a nuvi 255WT unit which performs well most of the time. Having installed the latest City Navigator maps for Europe (2009), the unit has started behaving strangely. For example, I have been told on three separate occasions to leave a motorway "at the next exit" and then be told to rejoin the road immediately at the very same junction. So I have driven off the motorway down to the roundabout . . . and then up the other side back onto the motorway. Why did I do it? Because I thought that traffic avoidance had kicked in. And yes, the unit is set to give quickest driving time not shortest route. I have also been instructed to drive down roads which have been no through roads for at least five years. Can anyone throw any light on the navigational problems. And just how do we ensure that maps are updated properly and regularly? Thanks.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

The chances are your maps are up to date and installed correctly. This problem has been mentioned here many times before. It appears there is no fix other than to mention it to Garmin as see if they can fix either the routing engine or the map data that causes this weird routing...
aisenby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:46 am    Post subject: Illogical navigation instructions and outdated maps Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll pester Garmin. I reckon they've got it made asking £100 for "lifetime nuvi map updates" and they can't even manage to update roads that have been no-goers for five years or more. I used my 255WT last year in France for the first time. It took me into a forest along a grassy track that came to a dead end at an impassable stream with an ancient collapsed bridge. The helpful walkers who stopped a few minutes later told me that the bridge had fallen down more than 100 years ago. Looks like someone's taking the Censored. Has anyone thought of compiling a book on the best sat nav howlers? I bet you'd get some good tales from lorry and coach drivers.
gomara
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Update Maps Reply with quote

Just a couple of points to make here :-
1) The current European Maps are 2010.10, not sure what your reference is to 2009 above unless you mean the Navteq release date.
2) After any map update it is recommended that you do a reset of the unit and clear user data, on my 660 this is done by pressing lower right corner of screen during power-on. This is known to fix some strange navigation after a map updates.
3) I've used Europe 2010.10 extensively over 4000km in France and never had a single issue, including finding a bungalow 8km along a grass covered track!
aisenby
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Illogical navigation instructions and outdated maps Reply with quote

Win some, lose some!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: