Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Big budget. What shall I tell Dad to get?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Big budget. What shall I tell Dad to get?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The obvious answer to the ops question is to go for a PDA with wm6, Not being dedicated to any one manufacture He can then have a choice of Tomtom((albeit unsuported), garmin,igo8,mcguider, etc and even memory map for OS mapping, for me there is no contest at the moment you can drop or use most flavours although manufactures dont agree by pushing the the PND market, reminder must start a PDA preservation society
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
The obvious answer to the ops question is to go for a PDA with wm6

Now you're talking! And he could even pay up to £750 for the HTC Advantage X7510 like mine - surely that's a bigger budget than even the iPhone and stuff?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
jago25_98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should now be subscribed.
Downloaded the latest database. Set it to the car honk sound in TomTom.

Even though I have checked the html disabled box I can't quote my email from my dad (there's no html in it either)

So In desperation I've put it on a text file! (really don't want to type it out again!
http://betty2.crabdance.com/email.txt
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
I should now be subscribed.
Downloaded the latest database. Set it to the car honk sound in TomTom.

Are you sure you don't want the real voice warnings?

You need to use the "speed-zoned" version of the database to get the full advantage, but they will then announce the speed limit as you approach each camera or mobile speed trap site.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a few thoughts from your Dad's points

- as easy loading of camera updates is a high priority, I would NOT recommend a Navigon, although I have one and think it's EXTREMELY good. But loading data like this is a real pain at the moment. There are plenty of makes, with their advocates, but I will limit myself to the two main ones.

As I understand what's been said here, loading cameras onto the TomTom is a direct, process whereas Garmin requires a two-step one- (1) download files and unzip them (quick, no time for tea); (2) use Garmin's 'POI-Loader' program to transfer to the satnav (pretty quick, kettle not boiled yet!).

With the PGPSW files you can include icons displaying eg "30", and voice warning files eg "caution 30 limit ahead"). There is also a very nice program on here which improves the Garmin loading process - 'ASH's Camera Manager', but you'd need to read it up a bit to see if it would be useful to you.

- route mapping. I agree - plan your own route first if it's a long one, go that way, and always have atlases in the car. You can't rely on sensible routing from TT/Garmin all the time - my personal feeling is that Garmin's routing can be a little more bizarre than TT's, but this is a subjective view. And yes, all satnavs are things that can pack up on you.

So don't necessarily use them for routes you know anyway (unless you want to find out if there's a better way than you have always used), but more for strange areas, esp start/end of journey. BUT (bitter experience here) ALWAYS take your satnav with you on any non-local trip however well you know the way - if you are not in your own area I would even include short trips as well. It's so easy to make a wrong turning, or hit unexpected roadworks or an accident.

- live traffic updates. It's not just that that I look for, but a satnav that offers you a diversion capability based on the info it has received. But from a lot that's been said on this forum over the years, traffic info in the UK is extremely patchy - it's no good paying for real-time Traffic Management if you are in an area where your unit never receives warnings anyway.

But what I suggest you MUST make sure you have (both makes probably have it) is a route blocking/divert facility where you can say 'miss the next (eg) '2' miles' of your route. I have found this a life-saver on many occasions, such as motorways where you suddenly see miles and miles of red lights just after the next junction! You may know your road perfectly, but you won't necessarily know any of the alternative roads you might need to use.

- FM transmitter. Mainly for improved sound quality over the car's speakers - but if I've got music, I don't use the satnav for playing it anyway, not quite BOSE!. But being fairly deaf, a practical use for me occasionally is to play the navigation instructions through the car speakers (but I couldn't use FM in Ireland, for instance).

(Added Later)
- navigation directions. And does your dad want simple instructions (bottom of range) such as 'turn left', or more comprehensive direction with road names (TTS, higher range): 'turn left onto Napier Avenue/turn left onto A408'. If TTS then another subjective vote for Garmin who have a voice ('Daniel') which is the clearest I have come across so far.

Hope that isn't too long and might have some useful pointer for you.

Last edited by BigPerk on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 wrote:
Even though I have checked the html disabled box I can't quote my email from my dad (there's no html in it either)

It's the "greater than" signs that cause the problem.
Samsung Galaxy S21
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jago25_98 - new thread on the forum; might this interest your dad?
Quote:
For Sale Garmin 760T (Used)

DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now here's a decent BIG BUDGET buy. Whilst searching for an external antenna for my GO700 this morning, I discovered that Amazon have just one GO700 left at £549.90. Now there he could get hold of the last working TomTom GO model and if he didn't update it too much, he'd have a perfect solution!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Satellite-Navigation-European-Bluetooth/dp/B000816M6W

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: