Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Remove TomTom safetycams before installing PGPS ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Remove TomTom safetycams before installing PGPS ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scooby99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Remove TomTom safetycams before installing PGPS ? Reply with quote

Hi - I have a TomTom 520 bought about a year ago which came complete with safety camera warnings pre-installed (ie i have not paid from them separately ). I think these are fixed cameras only - perhaps an abridged version of their subscrider version - and I have already noticed the database is far from comprehensive.

I assume the Pocket GPS camera database is far more comprehensive than the default TomTom database ?

Also, I have seen on this site somewhere guidance on how to remove the existing TomTom camera database - is it best to permanently delete the TomTom safety camera database before installing the Pocket GPS version (following a full Explorere backup, of course) ?
Scooby99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi - can I just add to my post above.

All I want is a low maintenance database that warns me if I am nearing any sort of camera or high risk area. I have no need to customise / search the database - I just want "plug and play" for maximum protection.

I assume I just download the PGPSW "Single file" version of the database ?
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The three options are "single file" which doesn't give any indication as to what type of camera is there. This is no longer available for TomToms as it was for much earlier devices that could only hold one category and were too much of a support issue when users didn't understand it's limitations.

The "consolidated by type" lets you know the type (permanent, mobile, specs etc) and the "speed zoned" also shows what the speed limit is at that point.

There is a bit of setup required the first time - this is in the step-by-step instructions. After that, you just need to overwrite the data files.

From your earlier query, the TomTom and PGPSW databases are completely separate and can run side-by-side though you will get duplicate warnings where both have the camera.

On the TomTom FAQ page, #1 is for Windows backup and #13 for removing the TomTom cameras.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: