Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 and Bluetooth drop-out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 and Bluetooth drop-out
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: TT3 and Bluetooth drop-out Reply with quote

I've only had my TT3 and Fortuna clip-on for a few days and I've been experiencing regular drop-outs on the BT connection. Sad I've just upgraded to GPS 3.2 and the BT connection has already died three times just sitting here at my desk...

I've been trawling through the posts and I wondered if anyone has a working 2210/TT3/BT setup?

I'm at ROM 1.10, TT3 3.01 (GPS 3.2) - I know some use earlier GPS versions (2.x) but I don't have access to these being a new TTN user.

When bluetooth is working the system is great - having come from a built-in Lexus Navigator the difference is amazing - apart from the fact I never had to 'soft reset' my Lexus!!!! Wink
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You currently have GPS 3.02, not 3.2.

GPS 2.07 is in the Downloads area of this site. Make sure you completely remove 3.02 first - it takes two uninstalls to go completely (Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom ~ GPS and tap Remove). Each remove will be followed by a dialog that will soft reset the Pocket PC.

David
astro_turf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad people are posting their problems, I ordered a HP 2215 and TomTom 3 this morning and after reading these reviews, cancelled the order. There are two main things I do with a handheld, ebooks and gps, if 1 is crap, I'll find another solution.

Now, if there was only a similar device to the 2215...

Crying or Very sad
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong - the iPAQ 22xx is great and I really like TT3 too, it does pretty much everything I need with a good interface and clear directions. Much better than the fixed SatNav I had in my last car.

Even the drop-out (while anoying) only needs a soft reset to sort it and this can quickly be done safely without stoping. I'm sure Tomtom will sort it soon. Smile
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
You currently have GPS 3.02, not 3.2.

David

Yep - 3.02 - slip of the keyboard.

Thanks for the info on 2.07 - I'll give it a go. Funny thing is that it hasn't dropped out since I made the post (I deleted the pairing and did a reset).

Fingers crossed....

Dilldog
astro_turf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilldog wrote:
Don't get me wrong - the iPAQ 22xx is great and I really like TT3 too, it does pretty much everything I need with a good interface and clear directions. Much better than the fixed SatNav I had in my last car.

Even the drop-out (while anoying) only needs a soft reset to sort it and this can quickly be done safely without stoping. I'm sure Tomtom will sort it soon. Smile

Tom Tom does look like good software, although it looks like it has been more than a month and no solid fix for this particular problem. I have had an Ipaq 3635 for the last 3 years with Destinator 1 and 2 and seriously only had to reset a few times during that time. While I want better hardware (my 3635 has taken a beating) but I don't want to get a GPS solution that is flaky to replace one that is not.
astro_turf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I started researching the BT problem and the IPAQ, and WOW, it seems to me that there is a very large number of people with GPS and BT problems on IPAQ hardware, but many seem to think it may be nardware or the PPC2k3 OS.

Warning, huge ignorant assumption to follow: If it were a hardware issue that could be a potential reason a month has gone by without a fix from tom tom.

Just my 2cents... I think I'll hold off on the IPAQ's. The screen dust problem was bad enough in the beginning, but at least you could fish your way around that, this problem looks nasty....
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well first I would like to point out that the most likely people to post in forums are those with problems, so it can appear that a few (albeit a significant few) may relate to a serious problem.

There are very probably many times more users out there who do not have problems and thus do not post.

This is not meant to trivialise the issues, but bring some perspective to the matter.

I have been running TT3 for some time now with the 2.07 drivers, mainly because I want to use the BT GPS with other applications. I have had one problem with a Rikaline BT GPS in that time. A reset of the iPaq 2210 and the BTGPS sorted out the issues. I have tested out TT3 and 2.07 with 7 different BT GPS receivers and have not experienced any dropouts.
astro_turf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point well taken, I'd like to point out some things on the other side of the coin:

1. The number of IPAQ users with GPS that post to this forum or others may be the minority.
2. Many people may think the problem has to do with the actual GPS hardware and/or software and never post but take it up with the manufacturer.
2. Many people in the flavor of windows could just be used to things being a bit flaky and chalk it up as normal.
3. Many people don't even use GPS
4. Many don't use bluetooth for anything more than syncing with a phone (of which there are a huge amount of bluetooth problems here, again could be configuration.)

There may not be a problem, there could be random problem, everybody could have a problem and some are just lucky. It just raises a bit of concern for me personally to see the number of bluetooth problems and the difficulty of problem isolation.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB wrote:
There are very probably many times more users out there who do not have problems and thus do not post.
To bring a little perspective to the Bluetooth dropouts issue I have a BT receiver and iPAQ 2210. I use this with SmartSTv2 and Anquet software.
I experience very few dropouts... the exception being tunnels and heavily built up areas or dense woodland.
99% of the time the connection is very good.
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:

GPS 2.07 is in the Downloads area of this site. Make sure you completely remove 3.02 first - it takes two uninstalls to go completely (Start Menu, Settings, System tab, Remove Programs, tap on TomTom ~ GPS and tap Remove). Each remove will be followed by a dialog that will soft reset the Pocket PC.
David

I installed GPS 2.07 last night and I've run it all day without a single drop-out. Thumbs Up

Thanks David!
MartinDB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Thanks,
that's fixed the problem I was having with my iPAQ 4150 not talking to my Tomtom BT GPS. Not had any reply from Tomtom yet to a trouble ticket raised on Tuesday Sad. Feeling much happer now Smile.

Martin.
Dilldog
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dilldog wrote:

I installed GPS 2.07 last night and I've run it all day without a single drop-out. Thumbs Up

Thanks David!

Spoke to soon - driving my desk it was fine; driving the car it drops out Crying or Very sad . Lots. I have my suspicions, I'm off to search the forum before I post....
grimbo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell me why you use 2.07 instead of 2.08 or 2.09.

Don't 2.08 (and 2.07) have bug problems with HP2210's (unable to close the BT manager/gets stuck in loop....)?

I had 2.09 on my set up prior to TT3 and it seemed to work ok.

I haven't tried 2.09 with TT3 yet, I've gone for 2.07 on the basis of this thread.

I will let you know how it goes.......
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would regard GPS 2.09 as a definite 'avoid' with Navigator 3, as 2.09 includes the (often troublesome) Navigator 2 version of TomTom Wizard, which I would think would conflict with the Navigator 3 version of TomTom Wizard. Instead of 2.09, go for GPS 3.00 (included on all the Navigator 3 CDs I've come across) or later.

The reason for recommending GPS 2.07 is that it's the last version of TomTom GPS that doesn't include the driver that plays around with the Pocket PC's internals, especially Bluetooth serial ports. There are problems that are solved in later versions of TomTom GPS, but if it's possible to run 2.07, a version without the interfering driver, it's arguably better to do so.

David

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: