Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POI-Warner help please?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POI-Warner help please?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: POI-Warner help please? Reply with quote

Paid for and installed this on my Navigon 2150 Max. Used some POI's from POI Handler as cannot work out how to use the ones from here.
I have the small green square in the bottom right hand corner but on opening the POI-Warner screen, I have the following:-
Overlays available 89
POI Monitored Nil
POI Displayed 5460

What do I have to do to get the Monitored figure to the same as the displayed figure? Does it only come up when I have a route worked out and running? And how do I input the POI's and speed cameras from this site? Can find no way of doing it.
This program, although useful, is not the easiest to get your head around.

Thanks, guys. Have not taken this out for a run yet but still confused.
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two possible anawers come to mind with your first question:

- on the main screen you may have 'Monitoring Deactivated' , 'Start Monitoring' (though I think the small square you start with would then be red, not green). If so tap the 'Start Monitoring' button;

- Otherwise the POIs may actually be unmonitored. Deactivate monitoring then from the Menu go into 'POIManager - POI Settings - Overlay Settings'. See if the POIs have the monitoring boxes checked - if not, check them.

If these seem ok, go into 'File Manager' and check that the POI lists seem ok, and come back and I'll try to think of something else! BTW you don't need a route set, but bear in mind that POIWarner needs a GPS signal directly to know where it is, and runs independently of Navigon's software.

If you haven't done so, get the full user guide off the registration page. Not the best user guide read by a long way, but it should help a bit.

Cameras from this site need to be downloaded in .asc format. I use Navman, but I think any .asc format is likely to be ok.

Other POIs also need to be in .asc format. If they are not it is a simple enough job to convert them - I use the free POIEdit utility.

Hope that gets you going.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Thanks for that. I have checked those things and the lists are there. If I go to POI Manager, POI Management, the lists are populated with my selections and the Overlay "Choose POI's to be monitored" boxes are all ticked. Strange!
It says in the Quick Start manual that manual installation is done by putting asc and bmp files into the POI Warner subdirectory POI's. Does this mean on the SD card or on the PC as I have POI Warner folders on there also? And how do I select them if using the POI syncronisation program?
Sorry for the questions. Having spend money on both the unit and the extra for POI Warner,it would be nice to get it going!
Regards
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Strange. Put the cameras from here in there and now have overlays available 120, POI monitored 1438 and POI displayed 16.385 with green ticks against all three boxes.
I think the POI monitored are the PGPSW cameras and the POI's from POI-Handler are still not being monitored.
Any ideas please?
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you gone through GPS-Source (Serliot) process under 'File' to establish the initial port connection for receiving the GPS signal? Can you get a GPS signal ok? (Press 'test configuration' (I think).

Otherwise try rebooting the Navigon. I can't remember having this problem, but will keep thinking.

The files go into the POIWarner folder on the sd card (on my 8110). When connected to the PC the sd's folders should be viewable. If you use VOICE warnings with the PGPSW cameras, these will need to be in the main POIWarner folder on the sd card, not within any of the individual POI subdirectories.

I've only used the synchronisation program once so far. IIRC, there were check boxes to download and synchronise specific POI categories from POI Handler and the other participating company (but that just has German POIs). Once put on your unit's sd card by the synch program itself (look in the POIWarner folder afterwards), they should end up in the same general lists as all POIs you download 'manually' (ie by direct copying, etc, NOT via the synch process).

Hope you make a bit of progress! Let us know. And have a look at the other threads about POIWarner if you haven't so far, as there may be useful things there.
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

I've looked at the User Guide about synchronisation - at one point it says
Quote:
During the first synchronisation, overlays will only be downloaded, but you can start adding or updating POI in your vicinity to your MobileNavigator|7 map yourself immediately using the POI Recorder and the POI Manager. All changes will then be uploaded to the server in question automatically during the next synchronisation and added to the database. At the same time you will profit from newer data added by other users and data updates that have been fed directly onto the server.
So, if you haven't done so you may find that you need another synchronisation to get the POIs actually activated (don't quite understand the reasoning if that's the case Confused )
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Just did a run to my local shops and got a warning for Asda, Homebase and Lidl which, sad to say, are some of the POI's I downloaded. I got no sound warning, just the countdown bar on the left of the screen. Would this mean they are bneing monitored then?
Would it be better to get the POI's from here, change them to asc format and download them after wiping the others from the unit?
Regards
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are being monitored. You set sound warnings up under POI Settings - see "Sound Settings for Installed POI Types" in the guide for details. This btw can be quite tedious if you've got a lot of POI categories (eg the camera speed-zoned database) and it's a good idea to get it the way you want it in one go, so to speak.

The same approach applies to whatever POIs you download. What determines the best version of a POI (eg Lidl, but don't tell my wife Embarassed ) to load is really just which have more locations that are useful to you. You could, incidentally, also look at MaFt's (Garmin-format) POIs - some of them are quite comprehensive.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David. Deleted the POI's I had on there, selected others from here, converted them to the right format and now have Overlays 76, POI monitored 1438 and POI displayed 28,837!
Will give it another go tomorrow but seems to be okay now. Don't know why the number of PO's monitored does not equal the total but we can only see. There is no restriction on POI's is there as was in the early Garmins and also the 12,000 limit on the Navmans?
Will start the sound bit later and let you know how I get on.
Many thanks, really appreciated.
Doug
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think there's any arbitrary limit (certainly haven't seen one mentioned) - obviously the available card capacity is one.

You may find that the reason for the different figures is because the old ones may not have been completely cleared out although they are now inactive. As far as I found, you may have to not only delete the POI .bak files from the card, but you may also have to delete the overlays in POIWarner itself if they are still there and/or reboot the Navigon with the reset button. POIWarner may produce a consolidated file for operational use from the individual files, which may need regenerating to clear things out properly (I don't really know TBH!). I still have a quirk or two but it doesn't seem to cause a problem. Possibly POIWarner is a bit untidy round the edges.

For a complete clear-out once I set the Panic button up to delete all files completely from the unit and then reloaded everything.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Cleared, reset etc and now have 101 overlays, 28,837 POI displayed and still 1438 POI's monitored.
Where does that figure come from?
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,
Seem to have cracked it. Now have 28000 shown and 31000 monitored! All I did was to remove warnings for all the poi's except speed cameras. Going to try it out on a longer run now. Let you know how it goes.
Doug
LATER: Put the warnings back on and now have 2436 monitored and 2436 displayed with 101 overlays. These numbers jump around all over the place!
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on my old web site page HERE (opens in a new window).

May give you some help on configuring POI-Warner Laughing
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for that, really appreciated. Good program, just some of the instructions come over a bit garbled!
Smile
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Confused.com Reply with quote

I have the cameras and some POI's from here on the unit. i set up the WAV sound files for all the warnings but on a run past a Gatso tonight, I got no indication, not even a graphic, let alone a sound! They are all ticked, POI Warner says it is monitoring them (28,000 displayed and monitored) but nothing. Do mobiles show up on here?
I also used to get a countdown graphic in yards on the left hand side to some of my POI's but now I just get a POI graphic and nothing else. Also, when I select to see POI's in "Search in radius" the POI's are on there as an overlay, but there are no details in the box below.
I feel like wiping the unit and only selecting those I can sync from POI Handler. At least they worked.
Any clues please? Thought I was happy with this unit but it is nowhere near perfect.
Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: