Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lifetime members spotting cameras
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lifetime members spotting cameras
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

Of the 27 submissions that qualified for Lifetime Membership, 23 were already Lifetime Members. To qualify for a Lifetime Subscription it is a condition that you MUST hold a valid subscription at the time that your report is submitted.

And so this week we welcome 4 new members to the club.

So why not let 23 members have a free lifetime sub?

It seems unfair that if a lifetime member spots a camera, other members are denied the chance of a lifetime membership.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Of the 27 submissions that qualified for Lifetime Membership, 23 were already Lifetime Members. To qualify for a Lifetime Subscription it is a condition that you MUST hold a valid subscription at the time that your report is submitted.

It seems unfair that if a lifetime member spots a camera, other members are denied the chance of a lifetime membership.

I can see what you mean, but those are the rules.

People buy Lotto tickets, no one wins the main prize, do they keep drawing another six numbers till some one wins that week, NO Rolling Eyes
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

technik wrote:
Which 23? They didn't report the camera first so didn't qualify

Quote:

Everyone has the same chance to report the camera first and the purpose of this site is not to get a free subscription. The purpose is to provide the most up to date camera database around. Most of the lifetime subsciption members still report cameras they see (be they new ones or seen again mobiles). No one is denied the chance of a lifetime subscription, they just need to be the first to report the camera.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

technik wrote:

I wonder how much longer we are going to pursue this foolishness? The rules of this award are straightforward - the free lifetime membership is a reward for speed and accuracy. Which other 23 members should we reward? The 23 who were first to submit a camera report, irrespective of whether it was accurate - e.g. this week, the first person to submit a camera is Joe, who submits a camera with coordinates about a mile to the left of Blackpool pier, which is absolutely no use to the database whatsoever. But if we change the rules to allocate free membership to the next submitting member after the 23 existing lifers, this guy gets a free membership just for turning up!

The idea is to get new cameras into the database accurately as fast as possible. For 50p a week, you get the benefit of that diligence. As an added bonus, if you join in the diligence, you have a chance to win a free lifetime membership. Simple. Now for goodness sake, let's drop it.

You drew our attention to the TomTom special offer of £14.95. If you are so dissatisfied with pgpsw, wouldn't you be better off taking advantage of that? I currently have three devices, all covered by my pgpsw membership. The TT camera database would cost me three subscriptions - I was going to say "the equivalent TT database", but of course it isn't even halfway equivalent!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

Pocketgps wrote:
Pocketgps Corrected to 'technik' wrote:
It seems unfair that if a lifetime member spots a camera, other members are denied the chance of a lifetime membership.[/b]

People buy Lotto tickets, no one wins the main prize, do they keep drawing another six numbers till some one wins that week, NO Rolling Eyes

And is it 'unfair' to win two prizes in a raffle? There are no rules there that insist that you 'give it back' and daw again, which your suggestion amounts to. The main difference is that our second 'prize' to an existing lifer is totally valueless, other that to give the person a sense of satisfaction Very Happy .

Last edited by M8TJT on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
alan_sh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down everybody - it's not that important that we get so worked up about it.

I tried a few times to report a camera before anyone else - eventually I succeeded. I found it fun and I certainly wasn't offended when I got beaten to the tape. Maybe others feel different but personally I had no problems paying my subs until I was offered the life membership.

If you think about it, it's just a "race" to the finish line. If the winner happens to already be a life member, then so be it. There's no favouritism in the race. This month it just happened that 23 winners were life members - other months, it's different.

Where it could be improved would be to tell the losers in a nice way that they didn't win this month - just a comfort factor to make them feel better. At the moment (as far as I know), there is no response mechanism if you don't win - and that can be disheartening.

[edit] Actually, I can think of another way to make it better. If the map where you do the reporting shows the unverified cameras, then you know not to bother - someone else has got there first. But I don't know how easy that is to implement.

Alan
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can (sort of) understand the frustration, if your main concern is to get a life subscription for yourself; but look at it this way....

Do you really want a life member who lives in a remote part of the country to IGNORE a new camera he sees, just so someone else MIGHT come along in a week or two and report it???

That is the simple reason for "lifers" continuing to report cameras, i.e. for the improved accuracy of the data..

I have to say, speaking as a verifier, I find getting our names "up in lights" again is a small reward for all the wasted journeys we make to check out reports of new cameras that don't actually exist! (Probably 80-90% of the ones I check out Crying or Very sad ).
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan_sh wrote:
Actually, I can think of another way to make it better. If the map where you do the reporting shows the unverified cameras, then you know not to bother - someone else has got there first. But I don't know how easy that is to implement.

Slight problem with this because this could stop some reports being made that are either slightly more accurate or reporting a mobile that is seen again. I also seem to remember reading somewhere that if multiple people report a camera (or a change to an existing one) in the same location then it could be added sooner.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
Pocketgps wrote:
It seems unfair that if a lifetime member spots a camera, other members are denied the chance of a lifetime membership.[/b]

And is it 'unfair' to win two prizes in a raffle? There are no rules there that insist that you 'give it back' and daw again, which your suggestion amounts to. The main difference is that our second 'prize' to an existing lifer is totally valueless, other that to give the person a sense of satisfaction Very Happy .

Why have you put my name in the quote box. 'technik' wrote that and quote:

Quote:

Not me Rolling Eyes
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pocketgps.
My appologies. It was a mistake when I was cutting and pasting the quotes Confused . I will now correct this on my original. Very Happy
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Pocketgps.
My appologies. It was a mistake when I was cutting and pasting the quotes Confused . I will now correct this on my original. Very Happy

Thank YOU Laughing
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall that camera to the left of the pier in Blackpool was further than a mile out to sea - It was closer to Iceland than the UK, I am sure all the verifiers will at some point have driven to check a location using their own fuel only to find nothing at the location or sometimes a CCTV looking at a shop entrance etc.
The free life membership scheme works and acts as an incentive for members to submit locations, if lifetime members continue to submit data then they should be applauded for doing so as it enhances the accuracy of the data for everyone. Mike
Rick-uk
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Similarily do you think Sir Steve Redgrave should hand back 4 of his olympic gold medals and let those that came 2nd have them?
Mick_1959
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am one of the new lifetime members, which came as a pleasant surprise when I saw my name on the home page. (Thanks guys Very Happy )

My aim was and still is to contribute to and have use of the most accurate database of 'VERIFIED' safety camera locations.

I think the system as it stands is fair. And credit should be given to any subscribed member who spots a new camera that is verified.

The reward of lifetime membership was not a goal I aimed for, but it is something I do appreciate, and no doubt previous submissions I have made have just confirmed an earlier camera submission by somebody has benefited from lifetime membership after verification.

Why not give lifetime members a level that reflects their contribution and number of succesful submission to camera database.

e.g. lowest being Lifetime member, followed by Bronze Lifetime Member then silver, gold and Platinum Lifetime Member , (number of cameras verified to be set by staff)

well its only an idea!
GO 920 Dead
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lifetime members spotting cameras Reply with quote

Rick-uk wrote:
technik wrote:

Similarily do you think Sir Steve Redgrave should hand back 4 of his olympic gold medals and let those that came 2nd have them?

too right he should! greedy thing....

on a more serious note, it is NOT a competition with 'winners' and 'losers'. it is an offer that we make for those who help us with the database. we don't have to do it, tomtom don't do it and they even ask you to submit corrections that you then have to buy from them! there is not a 'right' to a lifetime membership, it is something we felt would be a good way to thank people for helping. maybe we should just drop the whole thing to avoid such hatred?

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: