Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NEW USER of SatMap Active 10 PLUS. HELP.....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NEW USER of SatMap Active 10 PLUS. HELP.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadDogMcQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject: NEW USER of SatMap Active 10 PLUS. HELP..... Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
Just ordered a SatMap Active 10 PLUS from Amazon for £314 which seemed to be just about the cheapest around.

What I'm struggling to find though, is a cheap(ish) UK COUNTIES Explorer 1:25,000 map of "Lancashire, Gtr Manchester & Merseyside".

New to all this, so if there's a "known" groups of online stores that offer the best deals in SatMap accessories, please let me know.

Many thanks,

Tom.
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome.

I'm afraid that you will find that 1:25 scale maps are only available directly from satmap. The explanation I was given by the manager of my local Blacks is that there is not enough margin in these fo retailers to be interested.

Many of us here have found that the custom site centered maps are a better option.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4ndynorfolk wrote:

Many of us here have found that the custom site centered maps are a better option.

Just to reiterate what Andy has said,I think it would be far better,and most likely cheaper,to go down the site-centred route.

I certainly saved money with a site-centred bespoke map of Norfolk and Suffolk.

Ian
MadDogMcQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys - I've just been on SatMap's website and investigated that option. Makes sense.

Thanks for the heads-up!

Tom
4ndynorfolk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One furthet point.

Satmap currently have a advent calender with a new 24 hour only offer going on each day. You may be lucky.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the self centered option for Lancashire at 25K, its not the whole county but it does cover most of it and importantly its got the areas I wanted.
When I ordered SatMap phoned me up to enquire about Morcombe Bay which was included within the chosen area, being water it wasn't charged for and the equivalent area of land mass was added to my map - Works a treat, I also have the Lancashire 50K map which I find better for use on the bike - Mike
MadDogMcQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of centering on Halton West and going for a 100k map. That way, it'll cover (pretty much) my specific areas of interest which are Bolton (my hometown) at the most southern point, heading north through the Forest of Bowland and onto North Yorkshire.

It's cheaper than the Lancashire, Manchester, Merseyside map and far more useful to me. But still pretty damned expensive Rolling Eyes

Thanks again guys.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MadDogMcQ wrote:
I was thinking of centering on Halton West and going for a 100k map. That way, it'll cover (pretty much) my specific areas of interest which are Bolton (my hometown) at the most southern point, heading north through the Forest of Bowland and onto North Yorkshire.

It's cheaper than the Lancashire, Manchester, Merseyside map and far more useful to me. But still pretty damned expensive Rolling Eyes

Thanks again guys.

I would talk to Andrew at SM. Tell him what you're after...how much 'water' (£) is in your chosen area, (assuming your 100k includes some sea somewhere,)....could that be subtracted from the 100k total bill.....or could the 'water' area £ value extend your map N,S E or W ? (If that makes sense!)

ps As a matter of interest, he told me today that I really should remove/back up, the numerous routes that I have installed on my main map card, to avoid any corruption problems. (He was in the process of adding a further map to my already installed maps.) I tend to have routes installed against each map I have on board, eg, Lakes 20+, N Wales 20+ my local area 30+, NewForest/Dorset 15+ etc !
MadDogMcQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that FF. My AC10+ arrived yesterday and I was sad to see that the "1/3rd Off Voucher" only applies to a 60km2 map Crying or Very sad

In view of that, I've now decided to use the voucher and centre it on Longridge - that will give me plenty of local coverage, the Trough of Bowland (where we have a holiday home) and a bit of the Dales - all for £70.

I'm off out this weekend to get used to the SatMap. Very much looking forward to it too.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you decide that it's too small, and when finances are maybe a bit better, you can always send it back to be extended...at a cost of course.
MadDogMcQ
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, I like the sound of extending the card later. Anyway, just a couple of days after ordering my custom-map, it arrived in the post today. Backed it up and then tried it in the SatMap. Looks great.

I went for the 25/50 toggle option. Well worth an extra tenner.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: