Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT One XL: "You cannot use this map on this device &quo
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT One XL: "You cannot use this map on this device &quo
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NickForsyth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: TT One XL: "You cannot use this map on this device &quo Reply with quote

Hi

I'm totally new to these things, please bear with me...

I took delivery of a Tom Tom approved refurbed One XL from Total PDA today.

It seems to work fine, and I have added the PGPSW speed camera database sucessfully.

I connected the device to the HOME software and encountered a problem with the 'Operate my navigation device' option.

I get an error which says "Problem with map. You cannot use this map on this device : Western_Europe_1GB"

I have tried upating the device using HOME and it states "no items available"

The latest map guarantee option returns the message "The latest map guarantee does not apply to the map that is currently installed on your Tom Tom device"

For reference, this is a Tom Tom approved refurbished Tom Tom One XL, used for the first time by me today, APP 8.010 OS190943, map 'Western_Europe_1GB' v825.2159

I have opened this query with Tom Tom but I don't suppose I'll get any response until next week now.

Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely you should take this up with Total PDA??
NickForsyth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

franb wrote:
Surely you should take this up with Total PDA??

Fair point, but I'm just not sure if it's a minor software glitch or something more serious.

The device itself seems to work ok as far as I can tell, it's just trying to control the device from TomTom HOME that causes issues.
franb
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a glitch but a "fault" in as much as you certainly should get LMG & be able to "Operate my GO" in TTHome if it's a legal/original map.
NickForsyth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have emailed Total PDA with my problem so I'll see what they say on Monday.

Thanks again.
grahambaines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:02 am    Post subject: TT 1XL Refurb Reply with quote

Hi, I also have the same problem, don't bother with TomTom or blame Total PDA. Here's my scenario, hope someone can help.
I thought I'd replace my good Go720 with a One XL purely for size ie pocketability when walking or biking. To hold all my POI's on the gO720 I had copied them to a 2gig card and re authorised with TomTom no probs.
When TT1XL arrived I phoned TT and asked (Suzzanne) should I copy card before 1st operation. YES I was told and you don't need to authorise now?! Even sent me an email of how to do it, great thought I. Not so, it didn't work and after 3 days of backtracking and implying Total PDA had probably upgraded the maps for UK to Europe_1_gig etc etc, they now say the europe_1_gig maps in a refurb can't be copied even with re authorisation for the same machine. Impossible they say and what about backup and restore I asked, no we replace the card if faulty in 12 months they said. How do I hold more POI's on such a small card, a lack of interest has followed. Love the TomTom screens but the customer service is NAFF. Why the heck didn't they tell me that when I first phoned, perhaps I could have exchanged for a different unit if I'd not opened it (with their misguidance!). Total PDA seemed unaware of the problem with One XL's. Unless someone can help, BEWARE!
G
grahambaines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to say, all the same conditions as Nicks apply when trying to 'operate my TomTom' from TT Home.
NickForsyth
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total PDA have responded to me saying they don't know what the problem is but could I keep them informed of my progress with Tom Tom support.

Progress..... ?

I have emailed TT support (updated my question) a few times now but that doesn't seem to get any response from them.

I phoned again and spent an hour (yes, an hour!) on the phone with no results. Lots of uninstalling TT home and deleting config files etc.

The guy was going to phone me back in 2 minutes (he had to speak to his supervisor) - that was 2 days ago...

I'll phone them back next week when I have more time, I'll have to set aside at least an hour....

My guess is that it is related to authorising or licensing of the map rather than a hardware/software error - but I'm not sure how long it'll take them to check that.

Will keep you posted.
grahambaines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done all that, my TTHome talks to the TT1 and does all the other things, but cant 'operate' it. Don't speak to 'Richard' at TomTom unless you want a one way conversation, he speaks so quickly and without a breath you can't get a question in edgeways! It seems ALL these 'TT one' refurbs or their cards suffer the same probs. Just had an e-mail reply from 'Richard' this am to my question is it the TT1 or the card. Answer,"we can't really tell as we don't make the V1 anymore". Great help! so much for the fantastic hype about the refurbs being as new. Motto, you get what you pay for.
Still waiting for some helpful tech guy out there on the forum to come up with how to clone the card as long as it's for My Machine. I want to be legal and I think TomTom just stuff us up!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its just the "Operate My Go" part of Home that doesn't work leave it alone as all thats missing is a DLL file that Home will eventually download on its own and will start to work - This is a regular issue when we get the Navcore software updates every few months.

As for not being able to copy the card to a larger capacity one, it could be that TomTom have decided to lock the map to the SD cards unique ID tag, in this case there is nothing you can do in way of upgrading to a bigger card. Certain maps have been supplied locked to the SD cards in the past but this isn't something I was aware they were still doing?

You can free up plenty of spare capacity on the existing card by removing lots of the unused voice files, you should be able to recover around 25MB by clearing out the unused ones, after this further space can be made by removing certain other files, but 25MB will accomodate shed loads of POI files as they are only small in size - Mike
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahambaines wrote:
Still waiting for some helpful tech guy out there on the forum to come up with how to clone the card as long as it's for My Machine. I want to be legal and I think TomTom just stuff us up!

This may be rubbish Stop it!

If you connect to HOME with the original card in your unit, then use the Copy to computer function. Copy all listed, then disconnect from HOME. Replace with the new card, then reconnect to HOME, then on the Add Traffic etc tab, go to Items on my computer, then copy them all back to the unit.

Or have you tired a FULL backup via HOME, change the card in your unit then use Restore.
grahambaines
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1). Thanks V much both. Yes I was going down the line of losing all unneeded POI's and voices and have succeeded in getting most of my POI's on, will try the rest tonight.
2). Tried the back up and restore to the 2 gig but reports (this operation no allowed on this map/card).
3). From what TT say I think it correct to assume the progs are locked to that SD card tag. You guys have been far more lucid than TT so many thanks. That's what forums are for (nearly a song!).
G
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has cropped up before, but isn't one of the frequent problems , so it didn't ring the normal alarm bells.
I remember now there were reports a year or so ago, that TomTom had started setting the little used "copy protect" flag that is in the SD card specification. Why they did it and whether they are STILL doing it, I never found out.

See my post HERE and Oldboy's useful reply, for some more general info, although that refered to bought maps on SD card, rather then the one supplied with a machine.
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that you may have to do what Mike said above. Remove all the junk from your unit. None UK voices etc.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clear some space on your device by getting rid of unused voices you can delete anything in the "voices" folder but leave the UK specific files present, these are:

Tim (UK)
data04.chk
data04.vif

Jane (UK)
data05.chk
data05.vif

If you need any other voice files support post back with the langauge or name you want to keep and one of us will advise which additional files need to be kept. To find which voice file coresponds to each voice right click the dataXX.vif file (XX denotes a number) and select "Open With" "Note Pad" the files contents will inform you which voice this specific file relates to, keep the coresponding dataXX.chk file as well - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: