Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 and PocketGPSWorld camera database/icons/warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 and PocketGPSWorld camera database/icons/warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: TomTom 940 and PocketGPSWorld camera database/icons/warnings Reply with quote

Hi,

Can someone please advise me on about PocketGPSWorlds camera database and additional voice warnings and icons.

I have a a 940 and subscribe to the live services so get updates to the cameras already. What I'm a little unhappy with is the icons are small and hard to work out what the icon is. Also the only warning option for any of the possible types of camera seems to be one sound such as a beep or a custom sound/voice warning.

I have seen several posts about the PocketGPSWorlds camera database and if it was to give much better information then I would subscribe.

Can anyone advise on how much better the warnings/icons are which I am interested in and will they work with the live camera locations on the 940. I'm happy to pay or the whole lot and say not use the database bit if I get the advantage of better icons and warnings than TomTom supply if this is at all possible.

If not is it easier to use the PocketGPSWorlds service and if so would it cause issues coexisting with the 940's default ones. I want to continue to subscribe to the live services for everything else it provides but I would like the camera side to be more useful.

cheers

Glen
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The icons are much clearer than the TT offering, we also have the ability to offer full spoken alerts where the device will state information about the camera type and the applicable speed, so its possible to get the device to say "Warning GATSO ahead, speed limit 40 miles per hour" or "Warning Mobile camera ahead, speed limit 60 miles per hour"

There are various pre-recorded voice "packs" and a number of different icon packs available for you to tailor the options for exactly what you want, its not difficult to set up and there is plenty of help and assistance available from the forum.
Also offered is the free membership for life if you are the first person to send in a change/ deletion/ addition of a camera subject to verification, this isn't something TT or anyone else offers AFAIK. Finally there is the issue of accuracy, having used the TomTom database on my 940 I know which data set I trust, having inaccurate data for speed cameras isn't a good idea, the one from this site is second to non - Mike
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

thankyou, I sold on the idea now but as such how do I turn off the TomTom cameras?

Di I need to turn off the TomTom side of things at all or will it interfere?

I like the idea of the mobile camera warnings that the live services bring, will those still work and will this only replace the fixed cameras?

Thanks

n0v
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The database from here includes locations where mobile speed cameras are known to operate from, it is better to know where a camera might be than no warning at all.

As for removing the TT database I generally advise people to run both databases for a week or two to get an appreciation as to which one is better.

If you want to take the TT data off the device you can do it using TT Home or Windows Explorer, FAQ #13 on This page details how to remove them - Mike
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
thankyou, I sold on the idea now but as such how do I turn off the TomTom cameras?

Touch screen, TomTom Services, TomTom Safety Cameras, Disable Alerts. Note: Occassionally i've found you need to enable and disbale it this 2-3 times for it to actually switch off...

Quote:
Di I need to turn off the TomTom side of things at all or will it interfere?

You don't need to but you'll get duplicate and out of date alerts from the TT Database.

Quote:
I like the idea of the mobile camera warnings that the live services bring, will those still work and will this only replace the fixed cameras?

The TT Database is on or off. Can't disable bits of it. The PGPSW works along side it and doesn't overwrite anything.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

n0v wrote:
I like the idea of the mobile camera warnings that the live services bring

You might like the idea, but the implementation of it is rubbish!

It depends on users sending in reports ON THE DAY. I've tried running the TT offering beside the PGPSW one on many occasions and I've NEVER had a TT warning for a mobile camera.

The PGPSW database warns you where a mobile site has been seen any time in the recent past (a year or so), as well as warning you of a lot more fixed cameras than the TT one.
The only camera type where the TT data has a tiny edge is for SPECS average-speed detection zones - All the PGPSW database can do is warn you as you approach a camera, not warn you throughout the entire zone.
n0v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have to say I'm really impressed. One reason I got the 940 was for the live camera info. This from the tomtom site -

"TomTom Safety Alerts provided by ROAD ANGEL including real-time safety camera reporting and sharing, meaning users can keep each other informed about mobile safety cameras."

All probably true but Andy_P is absolutly right, I do like the idea but the implementation is so, so poor. The pocketGPSworld one is superb. Off on a long trip tomorrow and I will see what it is like then but just on a 40 mile trip it was much better than the TomTom one!!!

I have email the head guy at Road Angel about the 940 before, I think I will send him a link to this thread.

n0v

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: